I just viewed my first Vanguard television commercial on CNN

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Paul Romano

I just viewed my first Vanguard television commercial on CNN

Post by Paul Romano » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:49 am

Watching CNN and I just viewed the first television commercial I have ever seen ran by Vanguard.

I'm use to seeing commercials by Fidelity, Schwab and E*Trade

New direction by Vanguard running tv commercials?

It was a very vague commercial. It begins saying that Vanguard investors are all about numbers. Shows a couple waking up and states they pay attention to numbers. The numbers aren't about investing. The numbers are about what time they have a meal reservation and the number of slides in a presentation a member of the couple is going to present.

I can honestly say I didn't get the point the commercial was trying to convey.

It ended with the following: Over 20 million client investors.

typical.investor

Re: I just viewed my first Vanguard television commercial on CNN

Post by typical.investor » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:56 am

What? You didn’t know Vanguard investors are 18% more likely to cuddle with their partners?

https://personal.vanguard.com/web/cf/belong/

Anyway, Vanguard wants you to associate them with important things. And make you to feel good about them in the process.

Disclosure: I kinda feel like they should have spent the money on improving their site, but whatever.
Last edited by typical.investor on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

hdas

Post by hdas » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:57 am

Paul Romano wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:49 am
Watching CNN and I just viewed the first television commercial I have ever seen ran by Vanguard.

I'm use to seeing commercials by Fidelity, Schwab and E*Trade

New direction by Vanguard running tv commercials?

It was a very vague commercial. It begins saying that Vanguard investors are all about numbers. Shows a couple waking up and states they pay attention to numbers. The numbers aren't about investing. The numbers are about what time they have a meal reservation and the number of slides in a presentation a member of the couple is going to present.

It ended with the following: Over 20 million client investors.
They should spend that money fixing their tech infrastructure. H

Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:23 pm

Sounds like VG is not going to lower ERs to match Fidelity. Attempting to change the focus to ones goals and life activities beyond tracking your investments.
Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:01 am

I recall seeing Vanguard commercials on broadcast tv (I don’t have cable) some years back. I thought that the voice over sounded like actress Patricia Clarkson, but I was never able verify that suspicion. It was when they were doing that “Vanguarding” messaging.

RME

Post by RME » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:09 am

Where Investors Belong: By the numbers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW7Ny2ZiTts

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:48 am

Paul Romano wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:49 am
I got the point.

It is a right-brain point, not a left-brain point. And the point is, investing with Vanguard frees up your brain from obsessing over left-brain activity (frowning over spreadsheets, etc.) and apply that energy to right-brain activity (enjoying life).

They make this point by aiming the advertisement at your right brain.

By coincidence, I just read the first post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=261075. It seems to make the same point!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet