3 fund portfolio

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
Topic Author
rafkg29
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:07 pm

3 fund portfolio

Post by rafkg29 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:47 pm

I am 22 years old I’d like to know how is asset allocation on this specific portfolio? 75% Vanguard total market fund (VTI)
15% Vanguard total bond market fund (BND) and 10% Vanguard total international (VXUS).

User avatar
David Jay
Posts: 7501
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:54 am
Location: Michigan

Re: 3 fund portfolio

Post by David Jay » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:17 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Your AA is very reasonable for a beginning investor.

Your AA is not the dominant component of your portfolio in the early years, the amount of your contributions drive the growth.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

mary1969
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:34 pm
Location: IL

Re: 3 fund portfolio

Post by mary1969 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:50 pm

your AA is fine. Now save. minimum 15%.

also, be prepared for a 35% drop in your portfolio during your intermediate investing lifetime. will you be prepared for this? will you stick with your plan? bear markets are gifts for young investors.

Topic Author
rafkg29
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Re: 3 fund portfolio

Post by rafkg29 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:25 am

mary1969 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:50 pm
your AA is fine. Now save. minimum 15%.

also, be prepared for a 35% drop in your portfolio during your intermediate investing lifetime. will you be prepared for this? will you stick with your plan? bear markets are gifts for young investors.
Do you think I should make my allocation in VTI instead more aggressive to 80%? And 10% in BND and the other 10% in VXUS?

averagedude
Posts: 839
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Re: 3 fund portfolio

Post by averagedude » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:40 am

As others have said, this is reasonable and the most important thing is getting started and savings. I would recommend more international, but this is controversial. Don't overlook a target date fund because it is similar and it makes the investing part really simple.

dbr
Posts: 31194
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: 3 fund portfolio

Post by dbr » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:08 am

rafkg29 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:25 am
mary1969 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:50 pm
your AA is fine. Now save. minimum 15%.

also, be prepared for a 35% drop in your portfolio during your intermediate investing lifetime. will you be prepared for this? will you stick with your plan? bear markets are gifts for young investors.
Do you think I should make my allocation in VTI instead more aggressive to 80%? And 10% in BND and the other 10% in VXUS?
There is no meaningful difference between those choices. The actual investment outcome you will get will be so wildly variable from the expected average that near choices almost completely overlap. It might be a significant difference to choose 40%-60% stocks rather than 70%-90% stocks.

The choice of a specific asset allocation has more to do with having a plan that you don't willy-nilly abandon than it does with engineering some exact process. More than that, as soon as you invest the allocation will move with the market. At some point you would want to rebalance to where you planned to be, perhaps only by how you direct new contributions.

ETadvisor
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: 3 fund portfolio

Post by ETadvisor » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:17 am

rafkg29 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:47 pm
I am 22 years old I’d like to know how is asset allocation on this specific portfolio? 75% Vanguard total market fund (VTI)
15% Vanguard total bond market fund (BND) and 10% Vanguard total international (VXUS).
90/10 or 85/15 is not going to move the needle much. It is more important how much you can contribute. Try to max all tax advantaged space each year. Look at Target Date Funds to see asset allocation at your desired year of retirement. I assume it is 90/10. I follow the premise that international equity is to be 20% to 30% of equity for diversification and settled on 25%. Just stick to your plan. I wish I started at 22.

Thecallofduty
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:59 am

Re: 3 fund portfolio

Post by Thecallofduty » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:23 am

As others mentioned the amount you put in at an early age is what matters most now. In regards to asset allocation you can look at different brokerages target date funds to compare how much they allocate towards stocks/bonds/international. At end of day its your choice and what your comfortable with. For me, if I was 22 years old I would be at 75%total stock and 25%international. I would add bonds maybe every 5-10 years. Target date funds will do things like that automatically.

Good luck :D
-thecallofduty

mary1969
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:34 pm
Location: IL

Re: 3 fund portfolio

Post by mary1969 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 pm

averagedude wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:40 am
As others have said, this is reasonable and the most important thing is getting started and savings. I would recommend more international, but this is controversial. Don't overlook a target date fund because it is similar and it makes the investing part really simple.
i ditto this thought. just get started saving and focus on working hard at your job and living within your means.

Post Reply