Thinking about selling VTSMX to buy VIGRX & VISGX

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Aeiouoiea

Thinking about selling VTSMX to buy VIGRX & VISGX

Post by Aeiouoiea »

I'm still new to this. 28 years old. I have around $6,500 in Total Stock Market Index (VTSMX). I am thinking about selling it and buying Growth Index (VIGRX) and Small-Cap Growth Index (VISGX).

Thoughts on this?
harvestbook

Re: Thinking about selling VTSMX to buy VIGRX & VISGX

Post by harvestbook »

I wouldn't sell all of the market to buy part of the market. I'd build up to $10,000 to get admiral shares and then maybe think about adding diversification, and continue to learn in the meantime.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Aeiouoiea wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:06 pm I'm still new to this. 28 years old. I have around $6,500 in Total Stock Market Index (VTSMX). I am thinking about selling it and buying Growth Index (VIGRX) and Small-Cap Growth Index (VISGX).

Thoughts on this?
Stay with TSM.
All the Best, | Joe
Freefallin

Post by Freefallin »

I agree with the advice above. Are you currently contributing to a 401k or an Ira?

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Priorit ... nvestments
"Pain is the touchstone of all growth." - Bill W.
Topic Author
Aeiouoiea

Post by Aeiouoiea »

Freefallin wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:15 pm I agree with the advice above. Are you currently contributing to a 401k or an Ira?
Roth IRA
software

Post by software »

Aeiouoiea wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:06 pm I'm still new to this. 28 years old. I have around $6,500 in Total Stock Market Index (VTSMX). I am thinking about selling it and buying Growth Index (VIGRX) and Small-Cap Growth Index (VISGX).

Thoughts on this?
What exactly are your reasons? Based on the selections I’m guessing you are performance chasing?
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Thoughts on this?
It's better to buy the entire haystack instead of just a small section. Why? Owning the entire haystack ensures you will reap all of the market returns and you will not buy high and sell low.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

software wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:55 pm

Thoughts on this?
What exactly are your reasons? Based on the selections I’m guessing you are performance chasing?
Yup. Exactly.

OP, not a good idea, do you know that Growth index did not recover for 12 years after the tech crash of 2000-02 to breakeven. That is nearly 13 years in the negative. Stay with TSM.
Topic Author
Aeiouoiea

Post by Aeiouoiea »

What exactly are your reasons?
I was under the impression that growth-stocks were better than value-stocks overall and VTSMX have some value-stocks mixed in as well... :confused
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Aeiouoiea wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:24 pm
What exactly are your reasons?
I was under the impression that growth-stocks were better than value-stocks overall and VTSMX have some value-stocks mixed in as well... :confused
Large Cap Value (blue) vs Large Cap Growth (red):

Small Cap Value (blue) vs Small Cap Growth (red):

Topic Author
Aeiouoiea

Post by Aeiouoiea »

Such a fool I am... :oops:
Index24

Post by Index24 »

I would stay with VTSMX :sharebeer
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Stay with VTSMX.
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

Aeiouoiea wrote:Such a fool I am.
You're not a fool. You asked before you jumped. Many times people come on this board and say, "I just did this and this. What do you think?" And what we think is, "Dang, why on earth did you do that?"
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Thoughts on this?
Why?

Stay with Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTSMX).
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy