Should I use the VBINX balanced fund?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
bradtaylor1969

Should I use the VBINX balanced fund?

Post by bradtaylor1969 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi Everyone, got general question, i am 6 years from retiring and I have quite a bit in socks, example i have 80 percent in stocks suck as appl, atvi, xom, mro, cop, bp, wfc, pxd, mtch, apa, wmt, hal, cg, and many more, i am up pretty good on some of these as I bough a lot of oil stocks when they were beaten up a few years ago, I do have 20 percent in VFINX S&P fund and contribute 1000 per month to it, i am thinking about taking some profits off of the stock table and going into a more balanced fund VBINX and contribute 500 a month to that and 500 a month to the VFINX, I do have a retirement pension coming from my work.

Thoughts please??

Thanks!!

PFInterest

Re: Should I use the VBINX balanced fund?

Post by PFInterest » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:03 pm

It's not great for a taxable account usually. But you don't give us any other info to the contrary.

beardsworth

Re: Should I use the VBINX balanced fund?

Post by beardsworth » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:47 pm

bradtaylor1969 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:20 pm
Hi Everyone, got general question, i am 6 years from retiring and I have quite a bit in socks, example i have 80 percent in stocks suck as appl, atvi, xom, mro, cop, bp, wfc, pxd, mtch, apa, wmt, hal, cg, and many more, i am up pretty good on some of these as I bough a lot of oil stocks when they were beaten up a few years ago, I do have 20 percent in VFINX S&P fund and contribute 1000 per month to it, i am thinking about taking some profits off of the stock table and going into a more balanced fund VBINX and contribute 500 a month to that and 500 a month to the VFINX, I do have a retirement pension coming from my work.
I think Vanguard's Balanced Index Fund is definitely preferable to keeping a lot of money in socks, or in stocks that suck. :)

Seriously, that search box at the top of the forum page can be your friend. This fund has been discussed extensively, as in the threads listed here:

https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... rg&q=vbinx

https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... nced+index