need advice about my 401(k) from previous employer

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
SeekingAdviceVA

need advice about my 401(k) from previous employer

Post by SeekingAdviceVA »

I took a new job and am trying to figure out how best to deal with my 401(k) from my previous employer.

All of it is currently in the Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 Fund which I am sure I can better optimize. My new 401(k) is setup with Fidelity but I also have a retirement account with Vanguard. The money is currently being administered by ADP.

Any thoughts? Do I need share any other information?

Thanks!
JBTX

Re: need advice about my 401(k) from previous employer

Post by JBTX »

SeekingAdviceVA wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:14 pm I took a new job and am trying to figure out how best to deal with my 401(k) from my previous employer.

All of it is currently in the Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 Fund which I am sure I can better optimize. My new 401(k) is setup with Fidelity but I also have a retirement account with Vanguard. The money is currently being administered by ADP.

Any thoughts? Do I need share any other information?

Thanks!
Why do you think you can better optimize? I am actually moving towards target date funds in tax advantaged, where I can get institutional rate fees.

You don't have to move your 401k It may make sense to leave it where it is.

To answer, you would really need to post fund selection and expense ratios in current 401k vs funds expense ratios in new 401k
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

JBTX wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:24 pm To answer, you would really need to post fund selection and expense ratios in current 401k vs funds expense ratios in new 401k
^^^ This
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

SeekingAdviceVA wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:14 pm Any thoughts? Do I need share any other information?
Of course you do. It's all about which 401k has good investment choices and low costs.

If the previous one is better hang on to it.
JW
Retired at Last