Planning to Contact Vanguard

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
JSparks

Planning to Contact Vanguard

Post by JSparks » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:56 am

I believe I'm just two to three years away from FIRE. Though I've been largely unadvised for 20 years, I'd like to get the opinion of a Vanguard CFP to see if my numbers are correct and to discuss post-retirement investing. At the risk of sounding selfish/foolish, I need to ask one question. How would I go about getting a Vanguard rep that is more experienced? Could I just ask when I call Vanguard?
Last edited by JSparks on Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSparks

Post by JSparks » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by JSparks on Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pkcrafter

Re: Planning to Contact Vanguard

Post by pkcrafter » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:16 pm

JSparks wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:03 pm
I spelled Vanguard incorrectly in the title of my post. Duh. :oops:
Hi J,

You can go back and edit the title by going to your post and then clicking on the pencil image.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I guess you could try calling Vanguard. I will say your feelings are normal because it's a big step. Taylor Larimore and other Boglehead's helped me though the transition when I stopped the monthly income. Bogleheads can help you too if you want to provide information and status. The main thing is to have an initial withdrawal rate that is considered safe. Next, have a portfolio that is manageable. I do predict that if you get a plan from VG, you will post it here for approval. :happy

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212

Paul
Last edited by pkcrafter on Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

JSparks

Re: Planning to Contact Vangaurd

Post by JSparks » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:21 pm

I have everything worked out in terms of withdrawal. Just need someone to confirm my numbers and help me find a suitable and safe investment vehicle to get what I think we need.

afan

Post by afan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:46 pm

Vanguard will do a retirement plan for you. Depending on how much you have with them, this might be free. They will project your income and make suggestions for funds into which you should invest..

They will probably try to sell you the Personal Advisor Service, but you can politely decline.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

JSparks

Post by JSparks » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:34 am

They did try to sell me on the Personal Advisor Service but when I declined, there really was no other option.
What else do they offer?

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:54 pm

VG's offerings depend on your asset level. if you are a Voyager Select, Flagship or Flagship Select customer you have access to advice from a Certified Financial Planner who can answer specific questions you may have. There is no fee for that. If you want a financial plan and ongoing portfolio management, that is available through VG's Personal Advisory Services (PAS), which charges a fee of .3% for the first $5M under management and less thereafter.

JSparks

Post by JSparks » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:57 pm

I'm not an account holder at VG yet. I guess that is the problem.
Guess I will stick with my existing fund supplier and work off my own advice.

afan

Post by afan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:05 pm

As far as I know, Vanguard does not offer financial planning independent of investment management. If you have assets at Vanguard they will do a plan. It might be free, if you have enough money there. Otherwise they will charge.
But if you want an opinion but do not have money at Vanguard they have nothing to offer.

If you have a retirement plan through work they often will help with retirement planning. Usually for free.
There are advice only financial planners who will, for a fee, go over your situation and make recommendations.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

JSparks

Post by JSparks » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:12 pm

Right, but how could I make a switch and move the assets to VG funds without knowing their plan? I'd have to give them $10k to figure that out.
This only furthers my argument that the common man could not ever really retire. The system is designed to destroy and eat normal people.

drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:36 pm

There is kinda a difference between your initial posting questioning whether your numbers are correct and can you afford to retire versus what should the post-retirement plan be and what will Vanguard suggest - my guess is if you call them and tell them you are interested in transferring funds to them, they might well explain what a plan looks like, but I doubt if they will give you free financial advice since you aren't a customer.

I think many individuals on this site, if you decide to post more particulars, will give you the basic strategy that Vanguard PAS will recommend - based upon your risk tolerance - it will be divided into total stock, international stock, bonds, and international bonds. If you look at Vanguard's Life strategy or target date funds, you will also get a realistic idea of what they are going to recommend since these similar to PAS recommendations.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:43 pm

JSparks wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:12 pm
Right, but how could I make a switch and move the assets to VG funds without knowing their plan? I'd have to give them $10k to figure that out.
This only furthers my argument that the common man could not ever really retire. The system is designed to destroy and eat normal people.
Don't blame the system. Why would vanguard give you a free retirement plan when you are not a customer with them?

Based on your tone your situation might not be that complicated so you could probably post details here and get the same answer Vanguard will give you. There is nothing magical about retirement advice as its pretty simple for most people. As long as income+withdrawal rate is greater than your expenses then you are golden. When you get into estate planning, trusts, and other high net worth issues then you'll really need expert advice paid for by the hour.

JSparks

Post by JSparks » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:48 pm

To be clear, I'm looking for two plans. One is between now and retirement in 2 to 3 years(which isn't that important right now since it's only 2 to 3 years out) and the other is post-retirement (35+ years). But I'm not 100% sure that the retirement date is exactly where I think it is, hence the need for someone to look at the numbers, and then to develop a plan to get us to retirement and then unto death. I'm not looking for anything free but hardly seems worth it to throw out $10k for an opinion and then find that VG is not interested in my money. This is how Jack might feel.

I'm already done with this though. VG just lost me as a potential client. Frustrated with retirement and financial people so much that it's no wonder I've not used an FP for decades.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:52 pm

Why would you have to pay 10k? Why would vanguard not be interested in your money.

In any case Vanguard's advice will probably be fairly basic and cookie cutter. It will be a rep with some letters after their name putting your info into a computer and telling you what it says. Investing shouldn't really change much just because you retire. Your asset allocation should already be set at that point.

Vanguards strong point is good cheap funds. But maybe you have a good work plan that has lower fees than Vanguard like mine does and its better to stick with that.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSparks

Post by JSparks » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:53 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:43 pm
Don't blame the system. Why would vanguard give you a free retirement plan when you are not a customer with them?

Based on your tone your situation might not be that complicated so you could probably post details here and get the same answer Vanguard will give you. There is nothing magical about retirement advice as its pretty simple for most people. As long as income+withdrawal rate is greater than your expenses then you are golden. When you get into estate planning, trusts, and other high net worth issues then you'll really need expert advice paid for by the hour.
Again, I'm not looking for free. If I were, I post my financial details here. The point is how could I expect to be a customer without first getting confidence in the CFP who is assigned t me? It appears that to get VG to express any opinion about my numbers and path forward, I must first write a check for $10k.

I think you might be oversimplifying retirement planning. I know the numbers. The questions are about how to get those numbers. Sorry if there is a "tone". There isn't one.
Last edited by JSparks on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:55 pm

JSparks wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:56 am
I'd like to get the opinion ... to see if my numbers are correct and to discuss post-retirement investing.
Why not ask the forum? Go to "asking questions" and post the appropriate numbers in the requested format.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The Calvary isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:55 pm

JSparks wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:53 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:43 pm
JSparks wrote:

Again, I'm not looking for free. If I were, I post my financial details here. The point is how could I expect to be a customer without first getting confidence in the CFP who is assigned? It appears that to even get them to express any option to look at my numbers, I must first write a check for $10k.

I think you might be oversimplifying retirement planning. I know the numbers. The questions are about how to get those numbers.
Sounds like your mind is made up. Good Luck

longleaf

Post by longleaf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:55 pm

This almost seems like trolling to me.

What is actionable here? If you want advice, post in the recommended format.
Frugality, indexing, time.

JSparks

Post by JSparks » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:58 pm

How is this trolling? What did I do wrong? What is the recommended format?
Last edited by JSparks on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sergeant

Post by sergeant » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:59 pm

JSparks wrote:
I'm a common guy and am retired, the system didn't destroy or eat me. I find it humorous that you want Vanguard to prepare a financial plan for you but you don't have a dollar invested with them. Several people have mentioned that if you post your numbers here you will receive assistance yet you just complain about Vanguard. :oops:
Lincoln 3 EOW!

JSparks

Post by JSparks » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:01 pm

I wish I could start over. Never meant to offend anyone but gosh, everyone's jumping on me all of sudden here. I'll depart.
I apologize to all who took offense to whatever I did.

One last time, I'm not asking VG for a free plan but $10k for an initial assessment is hard to swallow.

RadAudit

Post by RadAudit » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:03 pm

JSparks wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:58 pm
Go to the top right of the page. Enter - asking questions - in the box that says Google. Hit return on your keyboard.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The Calvary isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

longleaf

Post by longleaf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Frugality, indexing, time.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:04 pm

JSparks wrote:What is the recommended format?
Asking Portfolio Questions

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:12 pm

What just happened here? What did the OP do wrong, what did we do wrong? I don't think it was intended, but an edge came though.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

RadAudit

Post by RadAudit » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:23 pm

pkcrafter wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:12 pm
what did we do wrong?
Just a guess, we went down the track about his concerns about VG not providing a financial plan without an investment of some considerable amount of money vs. just providing him a link to "asking questions" in the start here link.

He made the mistake of leaving two minutes before help arrived.

sergeant

Post by sergeant » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:48 pm

pkcrafter wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:12 pm
What just happened here? What did the OP do wrong, what did we do wrong? I don't think it was intended, but an edge came though.

Paul
He started a thread two years ago and disappeared on that one too. Part of that thread was that attorneys wouldn't answer his estate questions for free. In this most recent thread he's balking at putting 10k into Vanguard for retirement advice.
Lincoln 3 EOW!

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:53 pm

JSparks wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:58 pm
You did nothing wrong.

Vanguard doesn’t offer the service you want.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:51 am

JSparks wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:48 pm
To be clear, I'm looking for two plans. One is between now and retirement in 2 to 3 years(which isn't that important right now since it's only 2 to 3 years out) and the other is post-retirement (35+ years). But I'm not 100% sure that the retirement date is exactly where I think it is, hence the need for someone to look at the numbers, and then to develop a plan to get us to retirement and then unto death. I'm not looking for anything free but hardly seems worth it to throw out $10k for an opinion and then find that VG is not interested in my money. This is how Jack might feel.

I'm already done with this though. VG just lost me as a potential client. Frustrated with retirement and financial people so much that it's no wonder I've not used an FP for decades.
And... Hair flip.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:06 am

OP may be gone, but I am wondering what Fidelity or Schwab would have given him for an answer? I think I've seen numerous Fidelity TV ads offering advice (remember that green path?). Do you have to give them the money to hold first?