New Investor Seekng Advice

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Boats

New Investor Seekng Advice

Post by Boats »

I am a new investor, 63 years old, retired from the navy and 100% disabled. Needless to say, I am on a fixed income. What I would like to do is invest about $100 each month, but I am not sure where to invest. I was thinking EFT’s might be a good idea, but would appreciate the advice of more experienced investors. Thank you in advance!
gostars

Re: New Investor Seekng Advice

Post by gostars »

First off, welcome to the forum.

What do you ultimately plan to do with the money and in what timeframe? How much risk can you take with it? Would having additional income reduce any benefits you are currently receiving?
Topic Author
Boats

Post by Boats »

Thank you for responding to my question. I will answer the last question first if you don’t mind. Any additional come will not affect my benefits. In terms of time I am thinking of 10-12 years. For $100 per month I feel that I can afford an above average risk. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you once again for your reply.
Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral »

I am assuming that you are looking for growth of your investment. Since its $100/month, I am also assuming that you are okay with a higher risk. In that case I would recommend the Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF. Its diversified and can get you a decent return for the risk:
https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/overview/vti
Topic Author
Boats

Post by Boats »

Thank you very much for the advice! I will have a look at this offer and make a decision.
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

Good advice so far. I would also suggest reading

Common Sense on Mutual Funds: 10th Anniversary Edition
The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning

They can be found here

www.bogleheads.org/RecommendedReading.php
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
Topic Author
Boats

Post by Boats »

Thank you for your suggestion, I just bought the Boglehead Guide to Investing.