Treasury Direct has awesome phone support! Thanks!

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
livesoft

Treasury Direct has awesome phone support! Thanks!

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:35 pm

I just wanted to put in a plug for calling up Treasury Direct on the phone. As some of you know, I have dissed them in the past, but today I called them and got information that allowed me to redeem all my money at Treasury Direct. And that's without sending in a form with a signature guarantee which obviously is more work (Been there; done that.)

Anyways, the CSR was professional, friendly, informed, and MORE THAN HELPFUL. They offered help on navigating the web site while I was not logged in and offered to stay on the phone during that process. So I got my business done with much less hassle than the last time. Woo-hoo!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

GoldStar

Re: Treasury Direct has awesome phone support! Thanks!

Post by GoldStar » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks for sharing...I am sure your post will be followed by many others complaining :)

Amphian

Post by Amphian » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:46 pm

I haven't used their phone support - just email. They got back to me with the right information within a day.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:48 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:42 pm
Thanks for sharing...I am sure your post will be followed by many others complaining :)
And very possibly well-deserved criticism. I wonder why someone as smart and savvy as Livesoft had to call CS in order to be able to navigate the clunky TD website? (That's a rhetorical question that doesn't require a response.)
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

armeliusc

Post by armeliusc » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:51 pm

This has been my experience too when I once got locked out of my account with a new computer and failing to answer the security question.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:58 pm

I am a fan of TD. A number of years ago, we converted a couple of decades worth of bi-weekly payroll deduction paper bonds to electronic with no hitch.

Can be a bit clunky, as in converting the paper bonds we changed to TOD or POD (I forget which), each bond had to be individually done. That was my biggest compliant.

Of course, I am also someone who has had no issues with the Post Office either.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:08 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:48 pm
I wonder why someone as smart and savvy as Livesoft had to call CS ....
I had forgotten my account number, my password, and my security questions. This account was truly "Set-and-Forget" for me. I almost had forgotten my name, SSN, and birthdate. My drivers license had changed since opening the account, my e-mail address had changed, and even my bank info might have changed, too.

If I had not gotten all my money out, then it would be possible that when I died my heirs might not even have known about this account since there are no annual mailings, no mailed 1099s, no e-mails, and essentially no communication with me over many years.
I also suspect that TreasuryDirect ignores any escheating laws of one's state of residence.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:12 pm

The only thing I consider a problem area is the website. More than once (apparently I am a slow learner) I have had to start over after using a browser's back button. :oops:

Honestly, the vast majority of my Savings Bonds are in paper format, and I only use Treasury Direct to check on a few bonds I hold there.

I always participate in the survey after finishing my activities, and I have noticed the satisfaction numbers are usually pretty high.

Here are the current numbers:

TreasuryDirect® Survey Results
Thank you for completing our survey. Your feedback is very important to us, as we work to improve our services. The results shown below are for the last 30 days and include your score. Due to rounding, the numbers below may not add to 100. Also, some of the numbers may be 0 because of either rounding or small sample size. If you'd like to provide more specific comments, please e-mail us.

TreasuryDirect
Excellent 71%
Good 22%
Fair 4%
Poor 3%

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:16 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:12 pm
The only thing I consider a problem area is the website. More than once (apparently I am a slow learner) I have had to start over after using a browser's back button. :oops:
But the website explicitly states to NOT use the back or forward buttons ... or one will be screwed logged out.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:02 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:16 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
But the website explicitly states to NOT use the back or forward buttons ... or one will be screwed logged out.
Yep, that it does. Today I actually only logged in one time. Perhaps I'm learning. :happy

Today I just did my infrequent welfare check on my Series I and Series EE bonds. They were all at home. Though, somehow I have a laggard with an abysmal interest rate on one of the EE Bonds. I can't believe I just noticed the interest rate. I'm afraid they are going to be asked to leave. This actually will be a good test to see if I get tax form to report the bit of interest. Seems TD doesn't send the 1099, they make it available online.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:05 pm

That's a good point that if you go, and nobody knows you have bonds, they'll likely never even go looking. We have a great aunt with bonds from her parents. While she should have redeemed them 20 years ago (she doesn't listen to anyone), at least there's a pile of paper bonds in the bank safe deposit box. I've got my own stack in my safe. Easy enough for my wife or kids to get them to redeem in the future.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:48 pm
GoldStar wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:42 pm
And very possibly well-deserved criticism. I wonder why someone as smart and savvy as Livesoft had to call CS in order to be able to navigate the clunky TD website? (That's a rhetorical question that doesn't require a response.)
Clunky websites require funding to be upgraded, one is always free to make higher tax payments to alleviate the lack of funding. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:19 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
TreasuryDirect
Excellent 71%
Good 22%
Fair 4%
Poor 3%
[/color]

Broken Man 1999
I see that every time, and always amazes me, frankly. The two or three times I've had to get customer support, it was fine. And I'm not as down on the website as Mel is. But I honestly find it hard to see how anyone would rate it as "excellent." I'd rate it as "sorta OK," or "seen worse," or even "can't complain."

I think there's been some small improvement in the overzealous security. A few years ago, no matter what I did, and no matter how recently I'd logged in, I had to go through the "one-time security code" rigmarole. And I don't know whether it's TD or the Safari browser that's changed, but now it will use the browser's "remembered password" so I don't have to enter a long password on that on-screen keyboard.

(The thing I find really objectionable is that there is no way I can go in and assign my wife transaction authority to everything, all at once--it has to be done separately and individually for each group of bonds. Generally the organization of the website is chaotic in the way things are laid out and--but never mind).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:28 pm

I too had a good phone experience with them last year when I was converting some paper I-Bonds to electronic in order to change ownership. They were quick to answer and gave good advice.

gasman

Post by gasman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:25 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:

Honestly, the vast majority of my Savings Bonds are in paper format, and I only use Treasury Direct to check on a few bonds I hold there.

I always participate in the survey after finishing my activities, and I have noticed the satisfaction numbers are usually pretty high.

Here are the current numbers:

TreasuryDirect® Survey Results
Thank you for completing our survey. Your feedback is very important to us, as we work to improve our services. The results shown below are for the last 30 days and include your score. Due to rounding, the numbers below may not add to 100. Also, some of the numbers may be 0 because of either rounding or small sample size. If you'd like to provide more specific comments, please e-mail us.

TreasuryDirect
Excellent 71%
Good 22%
Fair 4%
Poor 3%

Broken Man 1999
Survivorship bias :D . Only treasury direct users will fill out the survey. There is no way to capture frustrated applicants who decided to pass because of the hoops that one needs to jump through, People who left over frustration or concerns, disenchanted for other reasons.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:48 pm

There was a line item in the project plans for the Bureau of Fiscal Services 2014/2015 for a complete redesign of Treasury Direct. I never heard if anything was ever moved forward or will be done, but then again this is the government. A 2014/2015 plan might mean it gets done by 2025.

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:18 pm

Clunky websites require funding to be upgraded, one is always free to make higher tax payments to alleviate the lack of funding. :wink:
Organizations that have the need to borrow trillions of dollars might find it in their interest to spend a couple of millions to make it easier for the willing lenders to lend. :)

I had a treasury direct account for a long time when I was more fearful of equities and the Fed hadn't yet decided that short term rates needed to be near zero. It was Ok except that when we needed to move some of the money relating to a real estate purchase, it took three weeks to do what could have been done in a day at a brokerage firm. If we hold treasuries now we do it through a decent broker. The Treasury Direct account is closed.

#Cruncher

Post by #Cruncher » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:18 pm

After not logging in for over a year, I couldn't access my TreasuryDirect account last night. I entered my account number and got a message saying a One Time Passcode (OTP) had been sent to my email address. However I no longer had that email account. The message said to call 844-284-2676 if the email address was incorrect. This morning I was dreading the prospect of trying to prove my identity over the phone. But the process turned out to be surprisingly easy.

After punching a couple of numbers on the phone menu, a Customer Service Representative picked up after only three rings. After explaining the problem and answering the three security questions (fortunately I'd written the answers down when I opened the account ten years ago!), she changed the old obsolete email address to the current one that I gave her. I repeated the login procedure, got the OTP email, entered it, and I was in. I checked the box to "remember this computer" so the second time I logged in, no OTP was required.

I actually like the website. I find it easier to navigate than some other financial ones. But there are two things that still bother me:
  • The inability to sell Treasury bills, notes, or bonds on the secondary market without first transferring them to a broker. So far I've only purchased I Bonds.
  • The difficulty heirs may have in getting possession of my holdings.
Edited 9/28/18 11:00 AM to update. My friend had the same problem with her TD account and went through the same procedure this morning to get a new email address. Easy-peasy. Only difference was that the CSR picked up after two rings instead of three. :happy
Last edited by #Cruncher on Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

kcap

Post by kcap » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:25 am

A little off topic but does anyone know the turnaround when reissuing an HH Bond to a Named Survivor? FIL died and husband is named on the bond but we're told the bonds need to be reissued in his name only before being converted.

SGM

Post by SGM » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:28 am

I don't mind the website and I have occasionally hit the back arrow on my computer unthinkingly. Maybe I am feeling my age, but I decided to empty my Treasury Direct account because of the problem of heirs obtaining the bonds that are held electronically. I have a few paper I-bonds in a safety deposit box, but will probably cash those in for additional simplification.

I took a small pension early because I was afraid DW would not remember to apply for it if I met an early demise. Interest rates were higher then so I probably received a similar monthly payout as I would have if I applied for the pension some years later.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:52 am

SGM wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:28 am
I don't mind the website and I have occasionally hit the back arrow on my computer unthinkingly. Maybe I am feeling my age, but I decided to empty my Treasury Direct account because of the problem of heirs obtaining the bonds that are held electronically. I have a few paper I-bonds in a safety deposit box, but will probably cash those in for additional simplification.

I took a small pension early because I was afraid DW would not remember to apply for it if I met an early demise. Interest rates were higher then so I probably received a similar monthly payout as I would have if I applied for the pension some years later.
I have no issues with the website, but I am slowly emptying the account. The current holdings of some I bonds and EE bonds were purchased after the "golden age" of 3%+ fixed rate for I bonds. All in all less than 10% of the total of savings bonds are at TD.

I figure any remaining paper bonds would be difficult to forget, given their physical presence in a safe deposit box.

One less account to deal with. Simplify, simplify, simplify!

Broken Man 1999

dadu007

Post by dadu007 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:18 am

I had to call them once for a password reset issue, too. (my fault; old email account was no longer in use after a move.)
I had an excellent experience on the phone, too. I give them high marks.
Website is fine. I think I actually feel more secure with with its slight government klunkiness, instead of some java-based flashy fireworks.
Like Broken Man, I also emptied our TD accounts for simplification and consolidation reasons, and since their purpose was no longer needed.