Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
9liner
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by 9liner » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:28 am

I use USAA to aggregate all of my accounts in order to view them all in one place. As of today, I noticed that my "Investment" section was missing a substantial amount of monies. After doing some brief research, I noticed that my Vanguard IRA is no longer listed. I signed into my Vanguard account and low-and-behold, my entire IRA account is MISSING! My taxable brokerage is still there, however, my entire IRA, to the tune of $140,000+ missing.

The odd part about this is my IRA is still listed under my wife's account view screen since she is listed as a custodian with limited authority on my accounts.

Has this ever happened to anybody? I'm in slight panic mode right now as Vanguard customer service is apparently not open on the weekend.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 4029
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by whodidntante » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:31 am

No reason to sweat until you talk to them, but you will. My concern would be fraud. It's likely an accounting error can be rectified.

9liner
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by 9liner » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:34 am

whodidntante wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:31 am
My concern would be fraud.
Precisely my thinking. Should there be any element of fraud involved, does VG afford any protections for an IRA account?

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 4029
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by whodidntante » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:40 am

9liner wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:34 am
whodidntante wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:31 am
My concern would be fraud.
Precisely my thinking. Should there be any element of fraud involved, does VG afford any protections for an IRA account?
I don't know all the corner cases but as a general statement, if Vanguard acted improperly, they are liable for the loss. That's why they require signature guarantees and whatnot for certain transactions. See what has happened and take it from there.

Turbo29
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:12 am

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:43 am

I wouldn't panic. I have had weird stuff with financial accounts and health insurance websites on weekends. Lots of IT maintenance is done over the weekend and can result in anomalies when viewing the sites.

Check early Monday morning. If still missing, then panic.

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 6053
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by HueyLD » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:44 am

I think it is a known problem with Vanguard's IT system. There have been many threads re: account disappearance on Sunday's.

Check again on Monday and call their customer service if needed. Best of luck to you.

AlphaLess
Posts: 709
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 pm

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:48 am

It's highly unlikely to be fraud, especially if you check your accounts regularly.
Most likely this is an IT glitch.

staythecourse
Posts: 5967
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by staythecourse » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:55 am

AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:48 am
It's highly unlikely to be fraud, especially if you check your accounts regularly.
Most likely this is an IT glitch.
Agreed. As long as I have been on this forum there are PLENTY of these type of threads and in the end of the day it is an IT issue. My memory is faulty, but does anyone have knowledge of one of these posts that ended up as fraud?

BTW, wouldn't the transaction section show the IRA securities were sold if in fact fraud did occur?

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

cas
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:41 am

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by cas » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:56 am

Given that it shows in your wife's view, but not your view...

Have you checked the "customized view" settings, just to make sure that somehow things didn't get changed so that that account got the check mark removed, and the computer thinks you don't want that account to be shown to you? (The "customized view" link should be under the total assets number and before the first account on the "Balances and Holdings" page. It may also be under the total assets number and above the tabs on the "Account Overview" page.

If so, that is an easy fix and will allow you to breathe easier immediately.

If not... while you are waiting to talk to Vanguard, you might want to

1. Take a screen shot of your wife's view, showing the account alive and well.
2. Go pull your latest statement and make sure the account is listed there. (If it is a brokerage account, I think the "latest statement" would be 7/31/2018. If it is an "old platform" mutual fund account, then the latest statement is probably the 6/30/2018 quarterly statement.) Then print out the statement, if it doesn't already exist in paper form. Again, just so you have proof that the account once existed. (More extensive IT problems may cause a newly generated pdf of the statement possibly to fail to show the account as well.)

AlphaLess
Posts: 709
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 pm

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:58 am

staythecourse wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:55 am
AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:48 am
It's highly unlikely to be fraud, especially if you check your accounts regularly.
Most likely this is an IT glitch.
Agreed. As long as I have been on this forum there are PLENTY of these type of threads and in the end of the day it is an IT issue. My memory is faulty, but does anyone have knowledge of one of these posts that ended up as fraud?

BTW, wouldn't the transaction section show the IRA securities were sold if in fact fraud did occur?

Good luck.
The account will not disappear in case of fraud.

For at least a few months, it will show transactions:
- sale of securities,
- withdrawal of balance.

There are plenty of times when I login to some account (Citi, Chase, BofA, Wells), and they show: Due to issue blah-blah, we are unable to show your XYZ account.

aristotelian
Posts: 4671
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by aristotelian » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Even if someone withdrew your full balance, you would still have an account showing zero balance. I would suspect either user error with the new platform or perhaps an account becoming unlinked from the userID in one of the upgrades, etc.

jebmke
Posts: 8358
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by jebmke » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:19 pm

From time to time I have noticed that during off hours, some stuff "disappears" only to return again the next day.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

RickBoglehead
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:47 pm

View issue, nothing more.

KyleAAA
Posts: 6719
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:51 pm

99.99% probability this is a simple view error on the website. Of course, call first thing Monday morning, but the fact that it still shows up under your wife’s login supports the view error hypothesis. Please let us know what the problem ended up being!

ResearchMed
Posts: 7166
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:33 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:44 am
I think it is a known problem with Vanguard's IT system. There have been many threads re: account disappearance on Sunday's.

Check again on Monday and call their customer service if needed. Best of luck to you.
It happens to us all the time, including during trading hours.
The *non* Vanguard accounts show, but not the approx half that is at Vanguard.

Yup, freaked us out the first time it happened.

Sometimes just clicking a second time (refresh screen), and poof, it's back.
Other times, log out, log back in, and poof, it's back.
But yet other times... no such luck for sometimes hours, but usually not that long.

They [used to] charge less, and you get less in terms of IT and phone service.
(Okay, to be fair, they still charge less than some, but there is now plenty of competition. We'll move a lot to Schwab once DH retires and we can roll much of the 403b to an IRA at Schwab... but *not* at Vanguard :annoyed )

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

staythecourse
Posts: 5967
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by staythecourse » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:35 pm

AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:58 am
staythecourse wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:55 am
AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:48 am
It's highly unlikely to be fraud, especially if you check your accounts regularly.
Most likely this is an IT glitch.
Agreed. As long as I have been on this forum there are PLENTY of these type of threads and in the end of the day it is an IT issue. My memory is faulty, but does anyone have knowledge of one of these posts that ended up as fraud?

BTW, wouldn't the transaction section show the IRA securities were sold if in fact fraud did occur?

Good luck.
The account will not disappear in case of fraud.

For at least a few months, it will show transactions:
- sale of securities,
- withdrawal of balance.

There are plenty of times when I login to some account (Citi, Chase, BofA, Wells), and they show: Due to issue blah-blah, we are unable to show your XYZ account.
Correct that is my point. If the transaction section does not show any transactions involving your IRA (in this example) then no fraud has been done. For an account to COMPLETELY disappear sounds like an IT issue more then someone (the OP or other) making changes on the holdings in the account.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

sambb
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by sambb » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:36 pm

Vanguard potentially has very serious IT and customer service issues, but my accounts have reappeared when this happens. There is some problem with vanguard's IT i would presume as an outsider. I bet this reappears in a few days, but i would call. Do they have 24/7 customer service? I dont know if they do.

Theyve always made mine reappear if needed, or usually it reappers on its own.

AlphaLess
Posts: 709
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 pm

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:38 pm

staythecourse wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:35 pm
AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:58 am
staythecourse wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:55 am
AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:48 am
It's highly unlikely to be fraud, especially if you check your accounts regularly.
Most likely this is an IT glitch.
Agreed. As long as I have been on this forum there are PLENTY of these type of threads and in the end of the day it is an IT issue. My memory is faulty, but does anyone have knowledge of one of these posts that ended up as fraud?

BTW, wouldn't the transaction section show the IRA securities were sold if in fact fraud did occur?

Good luck.
The account will not disappear in case of fraud.

For at least a few months, it will show transactions:
- sale of securities,
- withdrawal of balance.

There are plenty of times when I login to some account (Citi, Chase, BofA, Wells), and they show: Due to issue blah-blah, we are unable to show your XYZ account.
Correct that is my point. If the transaction section does not show any transactions involving your IRA (in this example) then no fraud has been done. For an account to COMPLETELY disappear sounds like an IT issue more then someone (the OP or other) making changes on the holdings in the account.

Good luck.
Agreed.

/b sarcasm
Unless the North Koreans or Russians surgically removed OPs account (and only OPs account) in a way that is completely untracable.
/e sarcasm

AlphaLess
Posts: 709
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 pm

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:38 pm

sambb wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:36 pm
Vanguard potentially has very serious IT and customer service issues, but my accounts have reappeared when this happens. There is some problem with vanguard's IT i would presume as an outsider. I bet this reappears in a few days, but i would call. Do they have 24/7 customer service? I dont know if they do.

Theyve always made mine reappear if needed, or usually it reappers on its own.
Does not sound very confidence inspiring.
I hope the $5Trillion in assets don't all disappear one day like ... puuuffff.

GrowthSeeker
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:55 pm

9liner wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:28 am
I signed into my Vanguard account and low-and-behold, my entire IRA account is MISSING!
There is a line on the page which says
"The holdings you've hidden in your customized view are excluded from the information displayed on this page"

Clicking "customized view" allows you to include or exclude accounts from showing up by clicking checkboxes. Any chance this is what happened?
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

9liner
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Re: Vanguard Account Disappeared HELP!!

Post by 9liner » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:04 pm

Alright....so now I feel like a complete idiot. I consider myself quite computer savvy, lest, It was the customized view issue. What really gets me is how this can just arbitrarily change - to the point where it deleted from my third-party account aggregation as well (USAA). Plus, why would it change my "customized view" but not my wife's? I am the only one who signs onto my wife's account so it definitely was not her doing.

Just very strange....

Post Reply