[How can I simplify rebalancing across multiple accounts?]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
RIMDBogle

[How can I simplify rebalancing across multiple accounts?]

Post by RIMDBogle » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:48 pm

[Moved into a new thread from: Solo 401k w/457 and Roth IRA-How to balance and allocate --admin LadyGeek]

Thanks for reviewing my thread. I read the boadhead threads and guidelines. I like to present multi account across multiple brokerages bring me allocation & balance nightmare. I am looking some pointers to simplify and allocate to facilitate DIY re-balancing.

As per Boglehaed principles of tax-efficient fund placement to determine which funds belong in each account. In general, the international fund should go into a taxable account, the bond fund should go into a tax-advantaged account, and the domestic equity fund should fill in the remaining space.

Thanks for replies to my threads. Thank you for reading! We have read the Getting Started and Investment planning overview wiki pages. We feel overwhelmed and intimated with all the information; would it be possible to get some help? All suggestions appreciated.

I am self-employed and funding SOLO 401K . I have six months expenses saved up in bank savings (earns nothing) .

Debts: 0, credit card statement balance paid in full every month. I own my car.
Tax Filing Status: Filing Joint Returns
2017 Tax Rate: 15% Federal, 4.75% State
State of Residence: Maryland (MD)
Plan to retire in 12 years (age 59)
Emergency funds: yes
Marries and have 1 child in college.
Desired asset allocation: 85% stocks, 15% bonds, moving toward 60/40 upon retirement.
Desired international allocation: 20% of stocks

My idea of a good portfolio:

45% Total Stock Market
30% Developed Wld ex-US
10% Portfolio Emerging Markets
15% Aggregate Bond

*** If the above weights need change, suggest appropriate weight.

I am looking insight for

(a) To keep International sleeve as single bucket or slice as Developed, Emerging markets

(b) To keep Bond sleeve as single bucket or slice as US, international, Floating rate, Closed Fund, Multisector bond etc.

As per boglehead, desired international allocation: (20 -30)% of stocks.

Your suggestions are welcome to adjust this allocation

Current retirement portfolio: high six figures.

*** The (%) on left shows the weight within an account, (%) on right weight within total portfolio

Here is my total portfolio view

Solo 401K (34.26%) - TD Ameritrade

45.00% SPDR Portfolio Total Stock Market ETF (SPTM) ER 0.03% 15.42%
30.00% SPDR Portfolio Developed Wld ex-US ETF (SPDW) ER 0.04% 10.28%
10.00% SPDR Portfolio Emerging Markets ETF ER 0.11% 3.43%
15.00% SPDR Portfolio Aggregate Bond ETF (SPAB) ER 0.04% 5.14%%

IRA Self (5.09%) - Fidelity (no active contribution)

45.00% iShares Core S&P 500 ETF ( IVV ) ER 0.04% 2.29%
10.00% S&P Small-Cap 600 Value Index ( IJS ) ) ER 0.25% 0.51%
18.00% S&P Europe 350 Index ( IEV ) ER 0.60% 0.92%
10.00% Core MSCI Emerging Markets ( IEMG ) ER 0.14% 0.51%
2.00% Cash 0.10%
15.00% iShares 7-10 Year Treasury Bond ETF ( IEF ) ER 0.15% 0.76%

Roth IRA Self (3.61%) - Etrade

47.00% Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI) ER 0.04% 1.70%
8.00% Vanguard Small-Cap Value ETF (VBR) ER 0.07% 0.29%
20.00% Vanguard Europe Pacific ETF (VEA) ER 0.07% 0.72%
5.00% Metropolitan West Total Return Bond Fund (MWTRX) ER 0.67% 0.18%
5.00% PIMCO Income D (PONDX) ER 0.82% 0.18%
10.00% Vanguard Intermediate-Term Corporate Bond ETF (VCIT) ER 0.07 % 0.36%
5.00% Real Estate - Vanguard REIT ETF (VNQ) ER 0.12% 0.18%

SEP IRA (5.08%) - Ally (from Trade King) (no active contribution)

100% Sitting on CASH 5.08%

HSA Family (2.32%) - Elements Financial , thinking of moving to Lively

70.00% SPDR Portfolio Total Stock Market ETF (SPTM) ER 0.03% 1.62%
20.00% SPDR Portfolio Developed Wld ex-US ETF (SPDW) ER 0.04% 0.46%
10.00% SPDR Portfolio Emerging Markets ETF ER 0.11% 0.23%

Taxable Cash (49.64%) - Banks parked in MM/CD account

Total Port Summary

US Equity 22.01%
Equity Developed 12.38%
Equity Emerging 4.17%
Fixed Income 6.62%
Cash 54.82

Total = 100

I like to leverage the commission FREE ETFs of the listed brokerages. I did review the boglehead specific brokerage urls for 3 Fund Port asset suggestions. Those are outdated, I did not find the recent changes happened on commission FREE ETFs at TD Ameritrade, Fidelity and Etrade.

Here are some questions:

(1) Solo 401K and Taxable Cash are in the range of 350K+. What is the best way to allocate on these accounts for reward/risk?

(2) I am not able to find same ETFs across listed brokerages in their commission FREE ETFs list. How do I attain simplicity for boglehead portfolio style?

(3) I listed some accounts as no active contribution. Is there a way to move this into other active accounts?

(4) How do I plug the assets into above listed my total Portfolio?

(5) I am struggling to arrive asset allocations to other accounts.As I have simplified asset allocation in my Solo 401K, is it OK to replicate the same asset allocations to other accounts?
(6) I have the accounts in TDA, Fidelity, Etrade,& Ally (TradeKing). I am debating, whether to keep it this way or simplify and consolidate under one. What are pros & cons doing it?
(7) My taxable account (exclude emergency Fund) is larger compare to non-taxable. It is sitting in bank. What is the asset allocation to use for taxable account?
(8) What are the brokerage account serve better for Taxable account?
(9) Since we have so many accounts, should we consolidate some of them? Should we focus one kind of fund in each of the account to simply or should we still hold multiple funds in each of them?
(10) What might be a good way to have future contributions invested so that the allocation is preserved, minimizing the need for rebalance?
(11) Currently we have about more than 6 months expense as emergency funds saved in checking/money market/CD. To earn a better return on emergency funds, are there any better ways?
(12) I intend to retire after 12 years. How should I reallocate to keep a moderate portfolio that would last until I am 92?
(13) I am not adding any new $ to my IRA & SEP IRA. Should I roll over my IRA , SEP IRA into other accounts (active solo 401K)?

(14) Are some of my funds too expensive in terms of their expense ratios?
(15) Would you get rid of any of these funds? Would you replace them with anything in particular?
(16) Is my portfolio too complex?
(17) Are my funds located in the proper accounts in terms of tax efficiency?

Thanks for helping.
Last edited by RIMDBogle on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

pkcrafter

Re: [How can I simplify rebalancing across multiple accounts?]

Post by pkcrafter » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:11 pm

RIMDBogle wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:48 pm
[Moved into a new thread from: Solo 401k w/457 and Roth IRA-How to balance and allocate --admin LadyGeek]

Thanks for reviewing my thread. I read the boadhead threads and guidelines. I like to present multi account across multiple brokerages bring me allocation & balance nightmare. I am looking some pointers to simplify and allocate to facilitate DIY re-balancing.

As per Boglehaed principles of tax-efficient fund placement to determine which funds belong in each account. In general, the international fund should go into a taxable account, the bond fund should go into a tax-advantaged account, and the domestic equity fund should fill in the remaining space.

International and total stock market are tax-efficient so they are OK in taxable.

I am looking insight for

(a) To keep International sleeve as single bucket or slice as Developed, Emerging markets

You have sleeves? Use total international if you what to simplify.

(b) To keep Bond sleeve as single bucket or slice as US, international, Floating rate, Closed Fund, Multisector bond etc.

I'll suggest total bond, maybe some international, maybe some short term bond.

2018 tax rate: 12% federal, 5.35% state tax

Desired asset allocation: 85% stocks, 15% bonds, moving toward 60/40 upon retirement.

Your age now?

As per boglehead, desired international allocation: (20 -30)% of stocks.

Right.

Your suggestions are welcome to adjust this allocation

Current retirement portfolio: high six figures.

Here is my total portfolio view

There really so no useful information here. You might try adding some additional information.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212

Solo 401K (30.24%) - TD Ameritrade

IRA Self (4.49%) - Fidelity (no active contribution)

IRA Spouse (7.10%) - Fidelity

Roth IRA Self (3.19%) - Etrade

Roth IRA Spouse (0.74%) - Etrade (no active contribution)

Roth IRA Son (1.45%) TD Ameritrade

SEP IRA (4.49%) - Ally (from Trade King) (no active contribution)

HSA Family (2.05%) - Elements Financial , thinking of moving to Lively

MD 529 (2.44%)

Taxable Cash (43.82%) - Banks parked in MM/CD account

I like to leverage the commission FREE ETFs of the listed brokerages. I did review the boglehead specific brokerage urls for 3 Fund Port asset suggestions. Those are outdated, I did not find the recent changes happened on commission FREE ETFs at TD Ameritrade, Fidelity and Etrade.

Here are some questions:

(1) Solo 401K and Taxable Cash are in the range of 350K+. What is the best way to allocate on these accounts for reward/risk?

You should look at all accounts as parts of one retirement portfolio. Doing that allows you to cut duplication and optimize fund placement.

(2) I am not able to find same ETFs across listed brokerages in their commission FREE ETFs list. How do I attain simplicity for boglehead portfolio style?

(3) I listed some accounts as no active contribution. Is there a way to move this into other active accounts?

(4) How do I plug the assets into above listed my total Portfolio?

I'm not familiar with the brokerages you are using, but others will be able to help with that.

Paul

Thanks for helping.
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 pm

This Wiki article on "Asset Allocation in Multiple Accounts" may be helpful. I found the "pitchers and buckets" analogy especially informative.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Asset_a ... e_accounts

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:04 am

Here are some tools and methods to help (no spreadsheet needed):
viewtopic.php?t=150267
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

RIMDBogle

Post by RIMDBogle » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:58 pm

Thanks for your replies and suggestion.

I edited my thread with additional details requested by pkcrafter . It took some time to prepare those details.

Thanks for your guidance.

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:36 am

Think of your portfolio as a whole -- those percentages should be of the whole, not of the individual account. Other than the solo 401k and taxable all the numbers are +/- 5% of the whole, you could easily simplify down to one fund. You do not need to duplicate your allocations in every account, looking at it all as one portfolio will allow you to simplify. Also, the 529 and your son's Roth should not be included as they are not meant for your retirement.

In your late 40's I would suggest a higher bond allocation -- maybe 70/30 and glide to between 40/60 and 60/40 as you approach retirement. You list two different tax brackets, you should probably figure out which one is correct. You might be able to roll your SEP and maybe even your tIRA into your solo 401k. It depends on your solo 401k provider and plan. (Not sure what this would mean for your Form 5500 reporting). Your taxable account should be invested in tax efficient stock funds/ETFs.

I track my AA once per month, and use new contributions to our Savings, Roths and my solo 401k to help keep everything in balance. Your emergency fund should be in a high yield savings account or CD (earning 1-2% interest).

I can't tell what your ERs are for those funds/ETFs -- you have two percentages listed. Rather confusing to me, but it might also be too early in the morning for my brain to work properly....

RIMDBogle

Post by RIMDBogle » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:30 am

TwstdSista wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:36 am

Think of your portfolio as a whole -- those percentages should be of the whole, not of the individual account. Other than the solo 401k and taxable all the numbers are +/- 5% of the whole, you could easily simplify down to one fund. You do not need to duplicate your allocations in every account, looking at it all as one portfolio will allow you to simplify. Also, the 529 and your son's Roth should not be included as they are not meant for your retirement.
Thanks for looking into my thread early in the morning.

I posted my portfolio as a whole in my thread. Here is the explanation/convention used in my thread.

45.00% SPDR Portfolio Total Stock Market ETF (SPTM) ER 0.03% 13.61%
30.00% SPDR Portfolio Developed Wld ex-US ETF (SPDW) ER 0.04% 9.07%
10.00% SPDR Portfolio Emerging Markets ETF ER 0.11% 3.02%
15.00% SPDR Portfolio Aggregate Bond ETF (SPAB) ER 0.04% 4.54%

Solo 401K (30.24%) - TD Ameritrade ==>

Solo 401K is 30.24% of my whole portfolio of listed accounts. This is with TD Ameritrade

45.00% SPDR Portfolio Total Stock Market ETF (SPTM) ER 0.03% 13.61% ==>

SPTM is 45.00% within Solo 401K and 13.61% of my whole portfolio of listed accounts. ER 0.03% is expense ratio for SPDR Portfolio Total Stock Market ETF (SPTM) This is coming from TD Ameritrade Commission FREE List.

I hope this helps. Thanks for reviewing my thread.

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:07 am

I have read through TwistdSista's post, but needed this information to make a reply because I have questions on your OP (original post)

We do understand how you made your post with all funds in all accounts equal to 100%. The replies are saying you need only one fund in the small accounts. You said you have an allocation (AA) of 85/15, but let's look at that:

MD 529 (2.44%)
--------------------------------
These accounts add up to ~57% and most all contain bonds.

Then you are listing a taxable account with 43% cash, so overall you are no where near 85% stocks. For retirement funding and allocation you should only use those accounts market for retirement. Son's IRA and 529 should not be listed.

Do you and spouse combine assets into one retirement portfolio? Some people do not.

You have included the taxable account as part of your AA, but do you have an emergency fund or other goals associated with the taxable account such as short term purchases? Those should not be included.

And you mention leverage :shock:

Now you need to clarify what is marked for your and spouse's retirement and those funds/accounts should equal 100%. That would include any of the taxable account marked for retirement. If not for retirement, omit it from the overall AA. Then you need to consider using just one fund in those small accounts. That will cut a lot of duplication and make rebalancing easier. And yes, you can combine some of the accounts.

Thanks for helping.
[/quote]

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

RIMDBogle

Post by RIMDBogle » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:01 pm

Thanks for your review. I revised my original post to reflect your suggestions.
pkcrafter wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:07 am
I have read through TwistdSista's post, but needed this information to make a reply because I have questions on your OP (original post)

We do understand how you made your post with all funds in all accounts equal to 100%. The replies are saying you need only one fund in the small accounts. You said you have an allocation (AA) of 85/15, but let's look at that:

MD 529 (2.44%)
--------------------------------
These accounts add up to ~57% and most all contain bonds.

I presented only my account and summary shows equity/international/bond/cash allocations now

Then you are listing a taxable account with 43% cash, so overall you are no where near 85% stocks. For retirement funding and allocation you should only use those accounts market for retirement. Son's IRA and 529 should not be listed.

The 85% stocks is my desired goal, but current equity 38.56%. I excluded my son's & spouse accounts now

Do you and spouse combine assets into one retirement portfolio? Some people do not.

I excluded my spouse accounts now

You have included the taxable account as part of your AA, but do you have an emergency fund or other goals associated with the taxable account such as short term purchases? Those should not be included.

Yes, it is outside this total portfolio

And you mention leverage :shock:

It is not investment/hedge context. I mean to use brokerage Commission FREE ETFs offer

Now you need to clarify what is marked for your and spouse's retirement and those funds/accounts should equal 100%. That would include any of the taxable account marked for retirement. If not for retirement, omit it from the overall AA. Then you need to consider using just one fund in those small accounts. That will cut a lot of duplication and make rebalancing easier. And yes, you can combine some of the accounts.

Thanks for helping.
Paul
[/quote]

I hope this helps.

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:00 am

The following now shows you are 38% equity.
Total Port Summary

US Equity 22.01%
Equity Developed 12.38%
Equity Emerging 4.17%
Fixed Income 6.62%
Cash 54.82

Total = 100
Paul

gostars

Post by gostars » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:17 am

I would probably leave the solo 401k at TDA, roll your IRA and SEP IRA into it, move the Roths to Fidelity, max out Roth contributions for the year for both of you using the cash (if not already done), and open a taxable account at Fidelity and put the rest of the cash into it (excluding emergency fund). I would increase the bond part of the asset allocation, because 85/15 would be far too aggressive for me at 47. I'd be more like 70/30. In terms of funds, I'd have the entire bond allocation in SPAB in the 401k, and the rest of the 401k in SPTM. In the Roths at Fidelity, 100% FSKAX (total US market). In spouse's TIRA, 100% FSKAX. In taxable, the entire international allocation in IXUS, and the rest in ITOT. Going forward, I would probably make all IRA contributions on the Roth side (any pre-tax can go in the 401k), and in the post-retirement, pre-social security years, look at converting the spouse's IRA to Roth, depending on tax rates at the time.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:39 am

RIMDBogle wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:01 pm
I may be confused about what is going on, but usually a spouse's retirement assets would be included in the couple's retirement portfolio.

There are a few occasions when people prefer to keep them separate. Is that what you are saying?

RIMDBogle

Post by RIMDBogle » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:17 am

retiredjg wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:39 am
RIMDBogle wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:01 pm
I may be confused about what is going on, but usually a spouse's retirement assets would be included in the couple's retirement portfolio.

There are a few occasions when people prefer to keep them separate. Is that what you are saying?
I thought of keeping all in total portfolio view, but I am not sure about pros & cons .

I learned from replies that Spouse piece need to be separated, so I made such adjustment.

What are the situation, people prefer to keep them separate?

Thanks for sharing.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:50 am

I think you may have misunderstood. The "usual way" we plan a retirement portfolio is to include a married couple's retirement assets all together. This allows the flexibility to choose the best funds from each plan. Sometimes that helps make the overall cost less.

Reasons that people might not want to do that....
  • -each has been married before and wants his/her assets to go to children, not spouse; in a case like that, separate planning might work better

-spouses are very different in age so two separate plans may make more sense

-some people just can't agree and each wants to make portfolio decisions independently

RIMDBogle

Post by RIMDBogle » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:20 am

retiredjg wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:50 am
I think you may have misunderstood. The "usual way" we plan a retirement portfolio is to include a married couple's retirement assets all together. This allows the flexibility to choose the best funds from each plan. Sometimes that helps make the overall cost less.
Thanks for reviewing my thread. I appreciate your suggestion. I will include spouse's assets in my total portfolio. I have TIRA & RIRA for spouse.

Do I need to put 100% (total US market) for spouse's TIRA & RIRAs?

+++++++++++
gostars wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:17 am
I would probably leave the solo 401k at TDA, roll your IRA and SEP IRA into it, move the Roths to Fidelity, max out Roth contributions for the year for both of you using the cash (if not already done), and open a taxable account at Fidelity and put the rest of the cash into it (excluding emergency fund). I would increase the bond part of the asset allocation, because 85/15 would be far too aggressive for me at 47. I'd be more like 70/30. In terms of funds, I'd have the entire bond allocation in SPAB in the 401k, and the rest of the 401k in SPTM. In the Roths at Fidelity, 100% FSKAX (total US market). In spouse's TIRA, 100% FSKAX. In taxable, the entire international allocation in IXUS, and the rest in ITOT. Going forward, I would probably make all IRA contributions on the Roth side (any pre-tax can go in the 401k), and in the post-retirement, pre-social security years, look at converting the spouse's IRA to Roth, depending on tax rates at the time.

Thanks for reviewing my thread. I appreciate your suggestion.

I have a Family HSA with (proposed lively/TDA to be transferred from Elements). Do I need to put 100% (total US market) for HSA?

What is the reason behind picking FSKAX over ETF?

What do you mean by In taxable, "the entire international allocation in IXUS, and the rest in ITOT"? Is it 80/20 split?

What is the advantage to move the Roths to Fidelity?

What is your opinion of moving ROTH to TDA 401K ROTH extension ?

Will the above facilitate Mega door Roth ?

Thanks for sharing.

gostars

Post by gostars » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:00 am

Let me start by saying you don't "need" to do anything. Each of us is merely looking at the information you've provided and providing feedback as to how the Bogleheads philosophy might be applied to it. It's up to you to review it and make your own decision.

I don't use an HSA, and don't know enough about the implications of them to suggest anything as to how one might want to allocate the funds. I would suggest you peruse the HSA wiki article which has a wealth of information on the topic.

When dealing with tax-advantaged accounts (IRA/401k/etc.), I prefer to hold mutual funds for simplicity. ETFs have to be purchased in 1-share increments, while mutual funds can be purchased in arbitrary dollar amounts. In a taxable account, the ETFs often win out due to being more tax efficient than most mutual funds.

Regarding international, you mentioned want to hold 20% of your stocks in international. At 80/20 stocks/bonds, that means 16% of your total retirement portfolio would be in international. Add up the total amount of your portfolio and multiply by .16. Or, if you switch to 70/30, that would be 14% and multiplying by .14. That's the dollar amount needed to reach your target goal. Divide that by the per-share price of IXUS to get the number of shares you need to buy to reach that target. Whatever money you have left in the taxable account after buying those shares would be invested in ITOT.

The advantage in moving the Roths to Fidelity is not having to log in to E-Trade anymore. Some of us like to play the game where we move money around from brokerage to brokerage just to collect bonuses, and if you're doing that, then that's a reason to keep the money separate. If you're not, why have 3 different brokerages when you could just have one? Fidelity would be my pick right now based on the available funds.

You could move the Roth to Roth 401k, but I don't see any benefit in it. TDA has objectively worse fund options than Fidelity, and mega backdoor Roth is not impacted by having an external Roth IRA, it's solely determined by what the 401k plan document allows. The non-mega backdoor Roth is the one with the IRA issues, and that's why rolling in your traditional and SEP IRAs to the plan would make sense.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:30 pm

gostars wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:00 am
I don't use an HSA, and don't know enough about the implications of them to suggest anything as to how one might want to allocate the funds. I would suggest you peruse the HSA wiki article which has a wealth of information on the topic.
Any money in the HSA which is not being used for current expenses should be treated as if it were part of your IRA, since it will be used for expenses in retirement. It doesn't matter if you have only one fund in the HSA, since you can reallocate freely. If you have a medical bill and want to sell bonds to pay for it but your HSA has only stocks, you can sell stock in the HSA, and sell bonds to buy stock in the IRA or 401(k), keeping the same stock exposure.
Wiki David Grabiner

RIMDBogle

Post by RIMDBogle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:29 pm

Thanks for your review and sharing valuable insights. I am able to simplufy my portfolio with your guidance across multiple account/brokerages. This include the spouse assets in TOTAL PORTFOLIO. Here is my revised portfolio for your review:

80/20 3 Asset Portfolio 1
  • Asset
    SPDR Portfolio Aggregate Bond ETF (SPAB) ER 0.04% 20.00%
    SPDR Portfolio Total Stock Market ETF (SPTM) ER 0.03% 20.80%
    Fidelity® Total Market Index Instl Prem (FSKAX) ER 0.015% 3.32%
    ISHARES CORE MSCI TOTAL INTERNATIONAL STOCK (IXUS) ER 0.1% 16.00%
    ISHARES CORE S&P TOTAL US STOCK MARKET (ITOT) ER 0.03% 29.60%
    Fidelity® Total Market Index Instl Prem (FSKAX) ER 0.015% 7.38%
    Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI) ER 0.04% 0.77%
    SPDR Portfolio Total Stock Market ETF (SPTM) ER 0.03% 2.13%
    S&P Small-Cap 600 Value Index ( IJS ) ER 0.25% 0.00% 0

Source MorningStar XRAY
    Average Mutual Fund Expense Ratio (%) 0.04%
    Price/Prospective Earnings 16.65%
    Price/Book Ratio 2.56%
    Return on Assets (ROA) 6.75%
    Return on Equity (ROE) 19.67%
    Projected EPS Growth - 5 yr % 12.27%
    Yield % 1.99%
80/20 4 Asset Portfolio 1 with Small cap value tilt
  • Asset
    SPDR Portfolio Aggregate Bond ETF (SPAB) ER 0.04% 20.00%
    SPDR Portfolio Total Stock Market ETF (SPTM) ER 0.03% 20.80%
    Fidelity® Total Market Index Instl Prem (FSKAX) ER 0.015% 3.32%
    ISHARES CORE MSCI TOTAL INTERNATIONAL STOCK (IXUS) ER 0.1% 16.00%
    ISHARES CORE S&P TOTAL US STOCK MARKET (ITOT) ER 0.03% 28.98%
    Fidelity® Total Market Index Instl Prem (FSKAX) ER 0.015% 0.00%
    Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI) ER 0.04% 0.77%
    SPDR Portfolio Total Stock Market ETF (SPTM) ER 0.03% 2.13%
    S&P Small-Cap 600 Value Index ( IJS ) ER 0.25% 8.00%

Source MorningStar XRAY

Average Mutual Fund Expense Ratio (%) 0.05%
    Price/Prospective Earnings 16.48%
    Price/Book Ratio 2.40%
    Return on Assets (ROA) 6.30%
    Return on Equity (ROE) 18.34%
    Projected EPS Growth - 5 yr % 12.43%
    Yield % 1.99%
Total Port Summary
  • US Equity 64%
    International Equity 16%
    Fixed Income 20%

Total = 100
Here is the PortfolioVisulizer compare the above 2 ports

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... ation9_2=8

1) I need your insights on above two portfolios and their advantages & disadvantages.

2) Based on the listed exposure in PortfolioVisulizer, are there any adjustment necessary?

3) Which is the ETF fit for small cap tilt? S& P Small-Cap 600 Value Index ( IJS ) ER 0.25% or SPDR S&P 600 Small Cap Value ETF SLYV ER 0.15% ?

4) If you need any other info from MorningStar XRAY let me know. I will be glad to post here to evaluate and help me to learn.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:02 pm

RIMDBogle wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:29 pm
1) I need your insights on above two portfolios and their advantages & disadvantages.
Either is fine.

Your portfolio idea is not as simple as it could be, but it is not incredibly complicated either. Just pick one and do it and stick with it. Don't go back and forth.

2) Based on the listed exposure in PortfolioVisulizer, are there any adjustment necessary?
The exposures don't tell us anything about what kind of account the funds are in. I suppose it does not matter much if the bonds are not placed in the taxable account.

RIMDBogle

Post by RIMDBogle » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:47 am

Thanks for everyone providing me guidance to come so far.

What is effecting way of buying the Asset/MF?

I mean buying all in one shot or do incremental basis till we complete funding.

I did review some pieces, that talked about Pyramid UP buying based on Market reaction.

What do you think about it?

If we go incremental basis, what is best way to split the $?

What are the days of the week & time window good for buying & selling?

What are the good limit order approach to overcome wide spread?

Thanks for sharing.