Help getting new Medicare Card showing Plan B coverage so I can get supplemental insurance

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
noleman1010

Help getting new Medicare Card showing Plan B coverage so I can get supplemental insurance

Post by noleman1010 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:34 am

I have been on my wife's insurance for the last 5 years. Last year when I turned 65 I signed up for Medicare Part A and got a card with my SS# with a "T" at the end showing my enrollment.

My wife plans to retire Sept 1 2018. So on July 11 we both went to the local SSA office and signed up for SS and Medicare. She signed up for Parts A and B, I signed up for Part B. I provided them with a CMS-40B for Plan B and CMS-L564 to show I had insurance for the last year.
My wife got her new Medicare Card with the random number and showing her enrollment for Parts A and B starting Sept 2018. I did not get a card but assumed that it might be because I was adding Part B only.

This week I called SSA to check on the status and was told that there was a problem with some forms so I went back to the local SSA office and was told they had everything that they needed but that I would not get a new card until 4 weeks after my new enrollment date of Sept 2018, which means I will not have a Medicare card showing my enrollment in Part B until Oct 2018.

The problem is that I want to purchase a supplemental Plan F, but have been told by the agent that I can get that coverage until I have a Medicare card showing that I am enrolled in Part A and Part B. But that would mean I have no Part F for at least one month.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed so I can get my Supplemental F plan on Sept 1 2018 like my wife?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Madbull

Re: Help getting new Medicare Card showing Plan B coverage so I can get supplemental insurance

Post by Madbull » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:56 am

Log in to you SS account online and see if your proof of eligibility has been updated there. If so you can print that, and I would hope that would suffice. If it hasn’t been updated there yet, you might be SOL.

noleman1010

Re: Help getting new Medicare Card showing Plan B coverage so I can get supplemental insurance

Post by noleman1010 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:04 am

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did go on-line here is what it shows under Benefit Details --> Medicare

Part A (Hospital Insurance)
Coverage Started: October 2017
Monthly Premium: $0.00 (as of October 2017)

Part B (Medical Insurance)
Coverage Started: September 2018
Monthly Premium: $134.00 (as of September 2018)

Is this the right place to look?

Madbull

Post by Madbull » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:10 pm

Yes. You should be able to print an unofficial ‘official’ of that page to verify the coverage. I would think that that, in addition to your forms showing prior coverage, would suit the requirements they want. BUT, I have never had to mess with any of the supplement plans as when I helped my mom start A & B when she had to retire early due to Alz, she had continuing coverage through her UHC with her employer.

Hopefully others can chime in that have been in similar shoes to yours for more/better info.