Closing Wealthfront and Betterment accounts: Guidance requested

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
sman09

Closing Wealthfront and Betterment accounts: Guidance requested

Post by sman09 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:20 pm

In my lack of understanding of basics of investing, i ended up investing in both Wealthfront and Betterment (about $10,000 each) about 3 months back and during this time was also investing on my own in ETFs via M1Finance (small amount). Both Wealthfront and Betterment were performing TLH and after the inputs received here (regarding washsale scenario), i turned off the TLH in them - i was also investing small amounts in ETFs via my M1Finance account (some of which overlapped with the ETFs in Wealthfront and Betterment). I no longer invest any more money via M1Finance.

Fearing short-term capital gains, i did not right away close the accounts (at Wealthfront and Betterment) and instead continue to have the funds sitting with these two firms.

What would be the best approach to take at this point?

I appreciate the time that forum members contribute to help others. Given the number of requests posted everyday, in case just saying yes/no would be easier, i am also listing possible options that i can think of, given my limited knowledge:

- option-1: leave the funds as it is till 1 year is complete and close the account?

- option-2: transfer the funds in kind elsewhere? (my 401k is with Fidelity)

- option-3: just go ahead and close the account and transfer the money to my bank account?

- any other approach?

Also, if possible would someone be able to give me some idea of what exactly i am looking at when tax filing time comes - do i need to reconcile the TLH done by WF and Betterment and identify wash sale scenarios and accordingly pay tax on them (apart from my possible purchase in similar funds via M1Finance)

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

jacoavlu

Re: Closing Wealthfront and Betterment accounts: Guidance requested

Post by jacoavlu » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:29 pm

yes you will need to reconcile because Wealthfront doesn't know what Betterment nor you at M1 are doing, vice versa for Betterment.

You can do the reconciliation now using your statements from the three brokers. Start with any SELL activity. You may find you only have to deal with transactions on a small number of securities. If I were in this situation I would start a spreadsheet and download all the transaction data from all 3 brokers and get it all combined so that I could see it together and start sorting.

CFR

Post by CFR » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:29 pm

sman09 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:20 pm
In my lack of understanding of basics of investing, i ended up investing in both Wealthfront and Betterment (about $10,000 each) about 3 months back and during this time was also investing on my own in ETFs via M1Finance (small amount). Both Wealthfront and Betterment were performing TLH and after the inputs received here (regarding washsale scenario), i turned off the TLH in them - i was also investing small amounts in ETFs via my M1Finance account (some of which overlapped with the ETFs in Wealthfront and Betterment). I no longer invest any more money via M1Finance.

Fearing short-term capital gains, i did not right away close the accounts (at Wealthfront and Betterment) and instead continue to have the funds sitting with these two firms.

I appreciate the time that forum members contribute to help others. Given the number of requests posted everyday, in case just saying yes/no would be easier, i am also listing possible options that i can think of, given my limited knowledge:

- option-1: leave the funds as it is till 1 year is complete and close the account?

- option-3: just go ahead and close the account and transfer the money to my bank account?

- any other approach?

Also, if possible would someone be able to give me some idea of what exactly i am looking at when tax filing time comes - do i need to reconcile the TLH done by WF and Betterment and identify wash sale scenarios and accordingly pay tax on them (apart from my possible purchase in similar funds via M1Finance)

Agree the responses so far. That being said, I would think very little damage can be done with only three months and $20,000 being involved. I would be surprised if there is a large amount of TLH to be had. Only you know the amount of trading within those accounts. You still need to sort it out.

CFR

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:45 pm

in truth there is no "damage" done because a wash sale is not illegal, of course; and yes the dollar (or cent) amounts OP is likely dealing with are small

BUT

that's not really the problem, the real problem is the sorting out of the problem, it's tedious reconciling transactions among three brokerages to calculate a little disallowed loss here and an adjustment to basis there, with fractional shares in thousandths of a share and oh by the way I'm not sure you can download all the transaction date in a CSV format or export to Quicken or Excel...

OP will learn not to let this happen again, or they'll at least have a frustrated accountant

sman09

Post by sman09 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:23 am

Thank you everyone for sharing your advice!

So, it appears to avoid any further complication, it might be better to close the accounts - in which case, is it better to move the funds back to my bank account?

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:04 am

I would not close the accounts, nor would I add more funds to the accounts, until I had sorted out the wash sales. No further “harm” being done if there’s no sell activity.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:06 am

With this small amount of money, I would just leave them there indefinitely. The fees are not exorbitant and the investments are fine.
As suggested by others above, send future investments to Vanguard or the like.

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:22 am

If you want control you can in kind transfer everything to M1 but note that only whole shares will transfer so you’ll be left with bits at wealthfront and Betterment that you would likely liquidate (they may do this automatically) and also not that the way M1 handles securities transferred in is less than ideal. They will not display the true basis of the transferred holdings. Rather, the “cost” of the transferred in holdings that you will see on the M1 platform will be the value of the shares when received by M1. They have the underlying data correct so tax forms should be correct but the info that you see on the web platform will not be accurate as to cost and gain/loss of the transferred shares.

You could of course transfer anywhere but with so many holdings the trading fees to eventually simplify may be prohibitive. Unless you have enough in holdings to go somewhere and get a number of free trades.

viz

Post by viz » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:12 pm

sman09 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:23 am

So, it appears to avoid any further complication, it might be better to close the accounts - in which case, is it better to move the funds back to my bank account?
I agree, you should close the account. If you don't, you would still need to track buys and sales as these platforms will reinvest dividends and auto-rebalance. If you have the same ETF elsewhere and sell them you would have to reconcile again. IMHO, the amounts are not big and with only 3 months probably didn't yield a lot of gains. The simplicity of having everything in one account in the long run will out weigh the cost.
If you absolutely don't want to close account then I would change assest allocation such that one account is fixed income and other equity.
Where you want to move the funds is up to you based on what you want to do with the money.
Good luck!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:16 pm

If the OP closes the accounts, the money has to leave the accounts and go somewhere. :) Might as well go to a checking account and from there directly into the desired investment account of choice.

As for the idea to just stop investing in those accounts and not close them, I think that is a bad idea. The longer one waits to not close them, the more one will probably delay figuring out all the information needed to fill out a tax return AND the investments will get growing further putting up a behavioral block for simplifying.

Git 'er done.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:19 pm

Closing eventually is certainly the right thing to do. But before I did so, I would want to write down my end goal. Maybe you want to be at Vanguard with a 3 fund portfolio. Or at Schwab with a slice and dice. Whatever the case, you likely already have several holdings that can fit well toward that goal. Why sell holdings you want to keep long term?

Accept the challenging place that you’ve put yourself in. You’ll learn a lot from the exercise of sorting this out and you’ll end up smarter in the end and the only real penalty will be the time you’ll commit to the sorting out activity.

You could post here the whole pile of what you’ve got and start sorting before you actually do something.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:23 pm

I did an in kind transfer from betterment to vangaurd. Wasn't complicated.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:26 pm

I did the same from Betterment to M1

Captain kangaroo

Post by Captain kangaroo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:26 pm

Off topic but how do you like M1 Finance? I am considering switching

sman09

Post by sman09 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:38 pm

jacoavlu wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:04 am
I would not close the accounts, nor would I add more funds to the accounts, until I had sorted out the wash sales. No further “harm” being done if there’s no sell activity.
Thank you @jacoavlu for your suggestion.
I remember reading in WF or Betterment that although TLH has been turned off, they might still sell some of the holdings (think it is to maintain the percentage holdings)

sman09

Post by sman09 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Thank you

@jacoavlu
@rgs92
@viz
@livesoft
@Freefun

for sharing your insights.

For some reason, i did not notice your replies posted on Jul-21 until just now. Usually i see an email alert and then open the forum right away - i was traveling a bit this weekend and looks like i totally missed to note the mail alerts.

sman09

Post by sman09 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:44 pm

jacoavlu wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:22 am
If you want control you can in kind transfer everything to M1 but note that only whole shares will transfer so you’ll be left with bits at wealthfront and Betterment that you would likely liquidate (they may do this automatically) and also not that the way M1 handles securities transferred in is less than ideal. They will not display the true basis of the transferred holdings. Rather, the “cost” of the transferred in holdings that you will see on the M1 platform will be the value of the shares when received by M1. They have the underlying data correct so tax forms should be correct but the info that you see on the web platform will not be accurate as to cost and gain/loss of the transferred shares.

You could of course transfer anywhere but with so many holdings the trading fees to eventually simplify may be prohibitive. Unless you have enough in holdings to go somewhere and get a number of free trades.
Thanks again for the inputs regarding fractional shares!

sman09

Post by sman09 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:45 pm

viz wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:12 pm
sman09 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:23 am

I agree, you should close the account. If you don't, you would still need to track buys and sales as these platforms will reinvest dividends and auto-rebalance. If you have the same ETF elsewhere and sell them you would have to reconcile again. IMHO, the amounts are not big and with only 3 months probably didn't yield a lot of gains. The simplicity of having everything in one account in the long run will out weigh the cost.
If you absolutely don't want to close account then I would change assest allocation such that one account is fixed income and other equity.
Where you want to move the funds is up to you based on what you want to do with the money.
Good luck!
Thanks a lot @Viz - think will keep things simple and just move the funds back to my bank account for now.

sman09

Post by sman09 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:47 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:16 pm
If the OP closes the accounts, the money has to leave the accounts and go somewhere. :) Might as well go to a checking account and from there directly into the desired investment account of choice.

As for the idea to just stop investing in those accounts and not close them, I think that is a bad idea. The longer one waits to not close them, the more one will probably delay figuring out all the information needed to fill out a tax return AND the investments will get growing further putting up a behavioral block for simplifying.

Git 'er done.
Thank you @livesoft for sharing your insights!

livesoft wrote:
:D

sman09

Post by sman09 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:49 pm

Freefun wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:23 pm
I did an in kind transfer from betterment to vangaurd. Wasn't complicated.
Thank you @Freefun!

I do not have an account with Vanguard presently.

My 401k is with Fidelity and not sure if these post-tax dollars i invested with Betterment, WF could be moved to my tax-deferred 401k account at Fidelity

sman09

Post by sman09 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:56 pm

Captain kangaroo wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:26 pm
Off topic but how do you like M1 Finance? I am considering switching
Not sure if this question is to me or @jacoavlu

In any case, mine has been a positive experience - for me M1 gave the feel of what it means to invest. I am a complete novice and have never invested apart from in the mandatory 401k.

I used to hear of people investing, about firms like TDAmeritrade, Merril Lynch but never understood nor took the initiative to go further to learn how to create an account etc., Once a friend mentioned about M1Finance earlier this year and shared their portfolio for me to copy and play - i decided to give it a try, it was intuitive - creating your own portfolio and deploying funds seemed fun.

After dabbling very intently in buying funds and assigning funds to my portfolio and checking the performance several times in a day, i have now stopped investing any further and just check it about once or twice a day - sometimes even forget to check.

The adrenaline rush of buying something and seeing it grow the next day was too much - i started with $100 or so and kept adding and ended up with a few 1000 $ in no time. :happy

Hope this helps!

mikeyzito22

Post by mikeyzito22 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:01 pm

livesoft wrote:

Git 'er done.
This is the best advice. Livesoft is right. I did exactly this. Wealth front will send you a 1099 for taxes. I had a wealth front account before I knew that I should be maxing tax-advantaged accounts and exactly how much. I didn't wait a year. I closed them, despite them giving me quite the sales pitch for staying and moved it to a checking account. With the small account, capital gains will be minimal. I then began the three fund portfolio and small etf's for fun. The benefit of closing them is that you can tailor your three or four fund portfolio at Vanguard and not have a rotating cast of funds that wealthfront likes to slip into every now and then. Also, if you are aggressive at wealthfront, you really aren't. A "nine" on their scale is more like 70/30, not 90/10. Food for thought.

sman09

Post by sman09 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:07 pm

mikeyzito22 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:01 pm
livesoft wrote:

Git 'er done.
This is the best advice. Livesoft is right. I did exactly this. Wealth front will send you a 1099 for taxes. I had a wealth front account before I knew that I should be maxing tax-advantaged accounts and exactly how much. I didn't wait a year. I closed them, despite them giving me quite the sales pitch for staying and moved it to a checking account. With the small account, capital gains will be minimal. I then began the three fund portfolio and small etf's for fun. The benefit of closing them is that you can tailor your three or four fund portfolio at Vanguard and not have a rotating cast of funds that wealthfront likes to slip into every now and then. Also, if you are aggressive at wealthfront, you really aren't. A "nine" on their scale is more like 70/30, not 90/10. Food for thought.
Excellent - thanks so much for adding to the thread of great advice @mikeyzito22

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:25 pm

sman09 wrote:

- any other approach?

since this would be small capital gain, let's make it simple. Sell everything and move to Vanguard. Re-construct taxable holdings in the most tax-efficient way you can.

sman09

Post by sman09 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:18 pm

In line with the advice received here, just closed my wealthfront and betterment accounts besides another account with a startup.

I have been asking several questions and have been feeling guilty in not acting on them - feels good to finally have acted upon.

Next focus is to convert my existing 401k account with expense ratio close to 0.7% to a 3/4 fund portfolio. At this time the only investment account i have apart from 401k is with M1Finance.

Thank you everyone!

sman09

Post by sman09 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:20 pm

thangngo wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:25 pm
sman09 wrote:

- any other approach?

since this would be small capital gain, let's make it simple. Sell everything and move to Vanguard. Re-construct taxable holdings in the most tax-efficient way you can.
Thank you @thangngo for the inputs and for making me feel good about what i just did - just closed my accounts and for the moment have moved it to my checking account.

Look forward to moving it to Vanguard as you suggest soon.

car733

Post by car733 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:34 am

Remember you can do a transfer in kind to vanguard and avoid selling.

sman09

Post by sman09 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:06 am

car733 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:34 am
Remember you can do a transfer in kind to vanguard and avoid selling.
Thank you @car733.

I have not yet established an account with Vanguard and it might take some time. Besides, have also initiated the request for closing and transfer. However, i appreciate your input!

nasrullah

Post by nasrullah » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:28 am

sman09 wrote:
If you log into your accounts you can get an account statement online. This will detail your long/short positions. No need to fear it, just find out what the exact number is.

What do you want to do long term? Are you looking to maintain investment accounts or cash out completely? I wasn't really clear from your post.

With your account balance at Wealthfront you shouldn't be invested in individual stocks (I'm assuming this is the same at Betterment). Transferring and consolidating into a single brokerage will not be difficult or complicated. You have lots of options to choose from that will all be good choices.
"We have a lot to do, and very little time, so we must work slowly." Liviu Ciulei | | Thanks vineviz (https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=134698) for the quote.

AlphaPilot

Post by AlphaPilot » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:29 am

What is the problem with the TLH on these robo-advisor accounts?

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:32 pm

AlphaPilot wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:29 am
What is the problem with the TLH on these robo-advisor accounts?
Hi AlphaPilot, the problem is when you use two roboadvisers like Wealthpoint and Betterment, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, so you can end up with the TLH being disallowed because of wash sales.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Wash_sale
This can happen even if you use a single roboadvisor or even no roboadvisor if *you are also making trades on your own, or *you are reinvesting dividends in any of your accounts, and/or *you have the same funds in a retirement account with dividends reinvested. It just is an order of magnitude worse with two roboadvisers.

There have been a few threads on this issue.
Edited to add: not only is the problem of disallowed losses much worse, but the tax records you will get from the two roboadvisors will not be accurate, and you have to figure out the disallowed losses and correct basis in your holdings on your own by cross referencing all your accounts. Ugh.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:13 pm

Is the issue at hand just about TLH? I have been using Wealthfront for a couple of years (no other active trading), and have found it to be helpful for me. Are there other issues with using a robo-advisor that Bogleheads frown upon?

car733

Post by car733 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:45 pm

sman09 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:06 am
I have not yet established an account with Vanguard and it might take some time. Besides, have also initiated the request for closing and transfer.
That's how I opened my vanguard account. Sent paperwork to open + in kind transfer.
Good luck!