Anything wrong with this portfolio?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
sapper1371

Anything wrong with this portfolio?

Post by sapper1371 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:22 am

In a previous thread "Please help me untangle this mess" I posted my current portfolio and received a lot of feedback on that. I took everyone’s advice on tossing the bad funds and working with the better ones. What do you think of this? I would probably phase out VB and VEA but I just paid a commission recently when I bought them so seems like I should just keep them now. I figured it would be easiest to just start a fresh thread since I made a lot of changes so I could get feedback on this.

My overall expense ratio would be just 0.05 and I seem to have about the mix I was looking for (85% stocks and 15% bonds/case with 25% of the stocks in international funds). Feedback appreciated before I actually start moving anything around. Thanks:

pkcrafter

Re: Anything wrong with this portfolio?

Post by pkcrafter » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:04 pm

Your making progress, and your portfolio is fine, but just for a little more information--

VEA is not total total international, nor is MSCI EAFE, so you don't have any emerging markets.

If you want to approximate total stock market (not really necessary), see this. Your 2% small cap isn't going to do anything, so you can omit it or increase it.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Approxi ... ock_market

Again, you have made the major improvements, so these comments are minor and just for your total understanding.

Where is your Roth that you had to pay a fee to buy VB and VEA? You are going to move the Roth I hope. :happy

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:37 pm

Why all the S&P500 index funds and not Total US Stock Market index funds instead?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

sapper1371

Post by sapper1371 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:01 pm

pkcrafter wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:04 pm
Your making progress, and your portfolio is fine, but just for a little more information--

VEA is not total total international, nor is MSCI EAFE, so you don't have any emerging markets.

If you want to approximate total stock market (not really necessary), see this. Your 2% small cap isn't going to do anything, so you can omit it or increase it.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Approxi ... ock_market

Again, you have made the major improvements, so these comments are minor and just for your total understanding.

Where is your Roth that you had to pay a fee to buy VB and VEA? You are going to move the Roth I hope. :happy

Paul
ROTHs are at TD Ameritrade along with taxable. Was thinking of dumping all of the Roth funds and putting 100% into a SPTM since it’s commission free at TDA.

sapper1371

Post by sapper1371 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:03 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:37 pm
Why all the S&P500 index funds and not Total US Stock Market index funds instead?
Agree, can’t do anything about the 401ks because no TSM options but going to move all the ROTHs into SPTM

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:30 pm

You're doing fine, but what is making you stay at TDAneritrade? There are a number of posters here that use it, but not much of a fan.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

sapper1371

Post by sapper1371 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:22 pm

pkcrafter wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:30 pm
You're doing fine, but what is making you stay at TDAneritrade? There are a number of posters here that use it, but not much of a fan.

Paul
If I found a reason to leave I’d just open a vanguard account. Right now all I want in those account is one low fee total market funds and since SPTM is commission free it’s meeting that need.

frugalmeister

Post by frugalmeister » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:51 pm

You currently have 30.8% of your stock allocation in international. You stated your desire for 25% of stock allocation in international. Your total portfolio has 25% allocation of international currently. To reach goal of 25% of stock allocation in international, reduce international to $106,048 and adjust other stock allocations up accordingly.

sapper1371

Post by sapper1371 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:10 pm

frugalmeister wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:51 pm
You currently have 30.8% of your stock allocation in international. You stated your desire for 25% of stock allocation in international. Your total portfolio has 25% allocation of international currently. To reach goal of 25% of stock allocation in international, reduce international to $106,048 and adjust other stock allocations up accordingly.
That’s what I plan to do, thanks!