Newbie question

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Mjs97

Newbie question

Post by Mjs97 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:37 pm

I am very new at this Investment scene, and want to run a couple ?'s by you gurus. I am 39 and have Roth and Simple IRA's setup through my business. My partner and I are the owners and have the company setup as an s-corp. We have few other employees as well. We have our retirement setup through Edward Jones. I understand this is not the best option however it seemed right when we set it up years back. I am currently maxing my roth and maxing my simple ira, the company matches 3%. I am wanting to invest more on top of these and need some advice. I am thinking of setting up a vanguard account that I will invest my after tax dollars in on my own. The way I understand it, I can't invest anymore pretax dollars, so this seems to be my only option. I think my advisor has my other accounts at 40% stocks and 60% mutual funds. I would appreciate any input anyone is willing to share. Remember I am new, so please take it easy on me. I have been overdue on learning more about investing and feel now is the time. Thanks

ExitStageLeft

Re: Newbie question

Post by ExitStageLeft » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Mjs97 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:37 pm
I am very new at this Investment scene, and want to run a couple ?'s by you gurus. I am 39 and have Roth and Simple IRA's setup through my business. My partner and I are the owners and have the company setup as an s-corp. We have few other employees as well. We have our retirement setup through Edward Jones. I understand this is not the best option however it seemed right when we set it up years back. I am currently maxing my roth and maxing my simple ira, the company matches 3%. I am wanting to invest more on top of these and need some advice. I am thinking of setting up a vanguard account that I will invest my after tax dollars in on my own. The way I understand it, I can't invest anymore pretax dollars, so this seems to be my only option. I think my advisor has my other accounts at 40% stocks and 60% mutual funds. I would appreciate any input anyone is willing to share. Remember I am new, so please take it easy on me. I have been overdue on learning more about investing and feel now is the time. Thanks
Welcome to the forum! Investing in a taxable account is your only option if your tax-advantaged space is all filled up.

There's a lot of good information available on the wiki page. You should probably Start Here. One of the things it recommends is posting detailed information about your circumstances using this format. There are so many things to consider when weighing what your best options might be that it's important to get that information up front. It takes some time to gather and compile that information, but it is well worth it in the value of the detailed responses it will generate.

You can edit your original post using the pencil icon in the top right corner. It is much better to edit the first post so that new readers of your thread will find all the relevant information right away.

livesoft

Re: Newbie question

Post by livesoft » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:57 pm

Sounds good to me. There, was that easy on you? :) Welcome.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.