(UK investing) Ethical / SRI bogling

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
oscar_einstein

(UK investing) Ethical / SRI bogling

Post by oscar_einstein »

Hi all! It would be great to get your ideas on my investing plans going forward.

Here is my current portfolio, accumulated over the past 13 years or so
32yo UK based resident with
- ~£18k in Fidelity UK all share index tracker in ISA - I add £110/month
- £2.5k in Vanguard Target Retirement 2055 - I add £150/month
- £4k iShares BRIC 50 ETF
- £4k iShares GBL CLN ENERGY ETF
- £7k in Tesla
- the only bond exposure I have is part of the Vanguard fund

---------------------------------------------------

I do not invest in a pension scheme (am sole employee of own company & after reading the Motley Fool UK investment guide many years ago was put off of them. My thinking at the time was that I'd rather have full control of my money now and in retirement and invest / save using ISAs for it. I understand that they have improved somewhat recently?)

---------------------------------------------------

- The BRIC / CLN ENERGY / Tesla holdings are plays I made a long time ago and am happy to hold them and see whatever happens to them in the future.
- I'd like to work out a strategy with my other holdings (UK index tracker & Target retirement fund) going forward
- the hitch comes in the fact that I'd like to, at a minimum, invest only in SRI investments going forward (exclude those companies that are deemed 'worst offenders').
- at the same time, I feel like I need to put my money where my mouth is & actually loan my money to those companies that are actively pursuing positive changes (renewable energy / clean water etc)
- I'm happy to potentially take a hit / the extra risk on my investments for this
- I am very stable in terms of market ups and downs, they have zero effect on me

I've seen that the US has some interesting trading platforms like
https://www.openinvest.co/
https://www.swellinvesting.com/
I haven't been able to find equivalents in the UK.
Triodos has a fund that seems to be inv ... al change

I was thinking to rebalance my current investments in Fidelity & Vanguard into
1. 50% Vanguards Global Equity SRI fund
2. 30% to a green fund like the Triodos one above
3. 20% into a global bond fund (probably one of Vanguards, can anyone recommend one?)

My questions:
1. strong critique welcome
2. anyone know of any other positive social change funds like the Triodos one they'd recommend?
3. should I in fact be looking to start a company pension scheme and save via that too?

All thoughts welcome!