When asking advice

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Mare

When asking advice

Post by Mare » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:38 am

When I send you what is available in workplace retirement accounts, do you want each available fund listed with ticker symbol and name, and cost, or just the info on the ones I am invested in?

Duckie

Re: When asking advice

Post by Duckie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:00 pm

We want all available options. If you have hundreds of options then you can limit your list to the cheapest ones, otherwise list them all.

Mare

One of two workplace retirement accounts

Post by Mare » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 am

When editing a post, I didn’t know the old posts stay up as well. I thought the edits would over-ride previous posts. My information: Emergency Fund -yes, Debt -no, Filing Status -Single, Fed Tax-10%, State of Res-Ak, Age-55, Desired Asset Alloc- 70/30 (would welcome feedback), Desired International 5% (I welcome opinions on that) size of current portfolio high- 5 figures, prefer to retire at age 60.Workplace
    Workplace Retirement account #1: Trowe Price available funds and cost-
    RPBAX Balance Fund .61%
    TRBCX Blue Chip Growth Fund .70%
    DFWIX DFA World Ex Ecquity US Core EQ INST .38%
    PRFDX Equity Income Fund .65%
    PRGTX Global Technology Fund .89%
    NERYX Loomis Sayles Core Plus Bond N .48%
    MWTRX Met West TR Bond .67%
    TRMCX Mid-Cap Value Fund .79%
    MSUSX Morgan Stanley’s US Real Estate .90%
    PRNHX New Horizons Fund .78%
    TRRBX Retirement 2020 Fund .63%x
    OTCFX Small Cap Stock Fund .89%
    RPSIX Spectrum Income Fund .65%
    TRRIX TRowe Price Retirement Balanced Fund - N .56%
    VMGRX Vanguard midcap Growth Fund .36%
    TRRHX Retirement 2025 Fund .65%
    TRRCX Retirement 2030 69%

Blackrock Equity Index M 2% (I hold 61.1 split between Roth and traditional IRA)
    Trowe Price Stable Value Fund N .20% (I hold 30.6% split between Roth and Traditional)

Have I made the intelligent selections? Is it okay to elect similar funds in my 457? (I will be sending list of choices for Empower Retirement soon).
    Thank you for you time.
    Mare
    Last edited by Mare on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:26 am, edited 6 times in total.

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:30 am

Mare wrote:
    Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:38 am
    When I send you what is available in workplace retirement accounts, do you want each available fund listed with ticker symbol and name, and cost, or just the info on the ones I am invested in?
    What we are really looking for is low-cost index fund options and they will always be recommended, so you can just post those. It gets harder if there are very few or no index funds. In that case list the lowest cost funds available.

Paul
    When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:33 am

pkcrafter wrote:
    Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:30 am
    Mare wrote:
    What we are really looking for is low-cost index fund options and they will always be recommended, so you can just post those. It gets harder if there are very few or no index funds. In that case list the lowest cost funds available.
    Paul
    The disclosed "expense ratios" for 401k, 403b, etc. funds may not include all costs you are charged. The employer may add a percentage as well.

Do not assume index funds in plans have low expense ratios because of the details of your plan.

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:59 pm

dm200 wrote:
    Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:33 am
    pkcrafter wrote:
    Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:30 am
    Mare wrote:
    Paul
    The disclosed "expense ratios" for 401k, 403b, etc. funds may not include all costs you are charged. The employer may add a percentage as well.

Do not assume index funds in plans have low expense ratios because of the details of your plan.
    DM is correct, there will definitely be other costs, and you cannot avoid those, but the available funds, including index funds, will have an expense ratio listed, so it is helpful.

Paul
    When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

danielc

Post by danielc » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:48 pm

Mare wrote:
    In addition to what the others have said, everyone in this forum is likely to strongly favour whichever funds have the cheapest expense ratios, are passively managed (look for the word "index" in the fund name) and cover the broad US market or the broad international market. Ideally it'll say "Total Stock Market". More likely you'll get funds that say "Large Cap", "500", "Mid Cap" or "Small Cap" and we'll end up suggesting that you mix those to simulate the total market. With those guidelines alone, you can probably predict with high accuracy which funds we're going to recommend.

Jordan4FI

Post by Jordan4FI » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Maybe take a photo?

Mare

Pre-tax or after tax? Does it matter?

Post by Mare » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:41 am

Thank you for all the feedback. :happy. I knew about index funds through reading Jack Bogle’s classic book on mutual funds. My work place retirement accounts take the money before taxes. Isn’t that the smarter way? So if I re-activate a retirement account that has much better fund options, isn’t that a risk/loss being taxed before it goes into a Roth IRA?

Mare

Tamarind

Re: Pre-tax or after tax? Does it matter?

Post by Tamarind » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:04 am

Mare wrote:
    Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:41 am
    Thank you for all the feedback. :happy. I knew about index funds through reading Jack Bogle’s classic book on mutual funds. My work place retirement accounts take the money before taxes. Isn’t that the smarter way? So if I re-activate a retirement account that has much better fund options, isn’t that a risk/loss being taxed before it goes into a Roth IRA?

Mare
    It matters, but to answer we need the rest of the info in the portfolio review template. I look forward to seeing your post.

ruralavalon

Re: Pre-tax or after tax? Does it matter?

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:21 am

Mare wrote:
    Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:41 am

Mare
    Traditional deductible contributions to tax-advantaged accounts are often better for most people, but Roth contributions are better in some cases.

More information is necessary like: age, time to expected retirement, current size of accounts, level of contributions, tax bracket, tax filing status, income level and expectations, and eligibility for a pension.
    "Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Mare

Tax advantage accounts

Post by Mare » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:25 am

Ok. I will need to gather all the information for several accounts. Appreciate your input.