Automatic allocation and rebalancing platform.

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
SeekingBogle

Automatic allocation and rebalancing platform.

Post by SeekingBogle » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:40 pm

I am currently with Schwab Intelligent Portfolio, and I’m happy with my current allocations except for a couple of high expense international ETFs. My total expense ratio is about .18%. I’m looking to reduce the expense by managing my own portfolio gradually to mirror my current portfolio without the high expense ETFs. The issue is I make monthly investment contributions and the IP software automatically allocates it according to the preset scale and rebalances as necessary. Schwab has no other tool, besides mutual fund investments, that automatically allocates contributions.

Any recommendations on companies with platforms that permits automatic investments according to preset allocations?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Automatic allocation and rebalancing platform.

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:51 pm

FYI - You had a duplicate post which I've removed, there were no replies. I just wanted to let you know, don't worry about it.

Are you asking if Schwab has a tool for rebalancing a portfolio for something other than mutual funds?

The wiki has some background info: Rebalancing The "Spreadsheet" section under "External links" lists several spreadsheets that will calculate the rebalancing for you. I rebalance once a year.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

SeekingBogle

Post by SeekingBogle » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:05 pm

Thanks for removing the duplicate. I’m curious if any other company/custodian allows you to self manage your portfolio by picking a set number of funds and automatically purchasing the funds after each monthly contribution according to your preset choice. Thanks in advance!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:13 pm

I assume you are talking about the Schwab funds sitting in the "Schwab Roth Intelligent Portfolio" and "Schwab Taxable Account Intelligent Portfolio" as described in your post here: Anything else we should be doing to be ready for retirement or increase wealth?

If so, don't rebalance your taxable account - that's a taxable event every time. You can rebalance a Roth account without concern for taxes.

Sorry, I don't know about any other platforms. I also don't make contributions except once a year to my Roth (Vanguard) and to my 401(k) via my employer (contributes in the percentages I specify, does not rebalance the portfolio).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:16 pm

I believe that you are looking for M1 Finance. Please look at their offering and let us know.

SeekingBogle

Post by SeekingBogle » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:20 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:13 pm
I assume you are talking about the Schwab funds sitting in the "Schwab Roth Intelligent Portfolio" and "Schwab Taxable Account Intelligent Portfolio" as described in your post here: Anything else we should be doing to be ready for retirement or increase wealth?

If so, don't rebalance your taxable account - that's a taxable event every time. You can rebalance a Roth account without concern for taxes.
Gotcha! I’m really looking to try my hands at managing my own portfolio, but I don’t want to have to manually purchase say 5 XYZ, 3 BYY and 2CCY each time I place money in my account since I plan on making monthly deposits. If there were a platform where I could select 50% XYZ, 30% BYY, etc and have it make the purchases/allocations every time I deposit money into the account, that would be great. Automatic rebalancing would also be preferred, but I can figure that out later.

Sorry for the lack of clarity.

jcerickson

Post by jcerickson » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:21 pm

SeekingBogle wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:05 pm
Thanks for removing the duplicate. I’m curious if any other company/custodian allows you to self manage your portfolio by picking a set number of funds and automatically purchasing the funds after each monthly contribution according to your preset choice. Thanks in advance!
Vanguard has an Automatic Investment option, where you can specify your investment into multiple mutual funds by dollar amount, percentage or equally. I believe you have to already own a particular fund to do so. I use this function in both a taxable and IRA account.

SeekingBogle

Post by SeekingBogle » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:23 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:16 pm
I believe that you are looking for M1 Finance. Please look at their offering and let us know.
Sounds like an answer to my problem. I’ll dig further and report. Thanks

SeekingBogle

Post by SeekingBogle » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:24 pm

jcerickson wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:21 pm
SeekingBogle wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:05 pm
Vanguard has an Automatic Investment option, where you can specify your investment into multiple mutual funds by dollar amount, percentage or equally. I believe you have to already own a particular fund to do so. I use this function in both a taxable and IRA account.
Awesome! Thanks.