View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
frankmorris
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:34 pm

View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by frankmorris » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:59 am

Hi folks,

I've been silent for a while, but reading! Moving forward with setting up investing accounts, and am wondering if there is a way to view my Vanguard account within Schwab - the connected accounts section. It seems that I can connect my other bank accounts within Schwab to view my overall portfolio, but when I try to connect Vanguard, it's asking for my routing number, checking vs savings, etc., and not sure if it's possible to view Vanguard holdings within the Schwab connected accounts section.

Any advice? Thanks!

dadu007
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:10 am

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by dadu007 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:38 pm

I tried this several months ago (when the "connected accounts" section was new), but it never worked properly, maybe because I have two-factor authentication setup on Vanguard (and am not going to undo that)...

frankmorris
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by frankmorris » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:15 pm

dadu007 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:38 pm
I tried this several months ago (when the "connected accounts" section was new), but it never worked properly, maybe because I have two-factor authentication setup on Vanguard (and am not going to undo that)...
Thanks for the response.

Yes I also have 2FA set up on my Vanguard account and fully agree with you. Seems odd that those systems wouldn't be compatible somehow. Still, I'm wondering about the structure of the Vanguard account - would Schwab even accept a routing # and account # from Vanguard? And would the Vanguard account be considered checking or savings?

BogleInTraining
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by BogleInTraining » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:20 pm

This should work. I can confirm that I have this working. Sometimes you may need to re-login, but you'll get an alert from Schwab and it'll prompt you to update it.

frankmorris
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by frankmorris » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:39 am

BogleInTraining wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:20 pm
This should work. I can confirm that I have this working. Sometimes you may need to re-login, but you'll get an alert from Schwab and it'll prompt you to update it.
Did you login as a checking or savings account for Vanguard? Meaning that when Schwab prompts you to select, which do you choose?

Nthomas
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:46 am

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by Nthomas » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:24 pm

frankmorris wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:59 am
Hi folks,

I've been silent for a while, but reading! Moving forward with setting up investing accounts, and am wondering if there is a way to view my Vanguard account within Schwab - the connected accounts section. It seems that I can connect my other bank accounts within Schwab to view my overall portfolio, but when I try to connect Vanguard, it's asking for my routing number, checking vs savings, etc., and not sure if it's possible to view Vanguard holdings within the Schwab connected accounts section.

Any advice? Thanks!
I have had my VG linked for several months now with no issues. Didn't ask for routing or account numbers, just UN and PW. Then you can choose which accounts to use in your personal value calculation. Also, my VG accts have 2FA but they still auto update in Schwab.

frankmorris
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by frankmorris » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:27 pm

Nthomas wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:24 pm
frankmorris wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:59 am
Hi folks,

I've been silent for a while, but reading! Moving forward with setting up investing accounts, and am wondering if there is a way to view my Vanguard account within Schwab - the connected accounts section. It seems that I can connect my other bank accounts within Schwab to view my overall portfolio, but when I try to connect Vanguard, it's asking for my routing number, checking vs savings, etc., and not sure if it's possible to view Vanguard holdings within the Schwab connected accounts section.

Any advice? Thanks!
I have had my VG linked for several months now with no issues. Didn't ask for routing or account numbers, just UN and PW. Then you can choose which accounts to use in your personal value calculation. Also, my VG accts have 2FA but they still auto update in Schwab.
As in you have your VG displayed in Schwab? Wondering what I’m doing wrong and if I’m clicking on the wrong link. Never saw a prompt for username or password in Schwab, just routing numbers.

frankmorris
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by frankmorris » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Alright update - Looks like I’ve been able to add my Vanguard account as a connected account and view the balance. Thanks for the advice all.

However, I’m still not able to add my Vanguard account to Schwab as an external account to transfer money to. Has anyone else been able to do this,or do you just transfer money into your Vanguard account from within Vanguard? I have been able to successfully link external accounts from within Vanguard, just not able to transfer money to Vanguard from within the Schwab system.

UpperNwGuy
Posts: 985
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:02 pm

I've never tried viewing Vanguard holdings in my Schwab account, but I am able to view my Schwab holdings in my Vanguard account. The accounts themselves are not linked. I manually input the Schwab holdings, and Vanguard updates the market value correctly with each movement of the market.
Retiree with a pension and a 60/40 taxable portfolio: Total Stock + Total Int'l + Total Bond + Interm Term Tax Exempt.

frankmorris
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by frankmorris » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:49 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:02 pm
I've never tried viewing Vanguard holdings in my Schwab account, but I am able to view my Schwab holdings in my Vanguard account. The accounts themselves are not linked. I manually input the Schwab holdings, and Vanguard updates the market value correctly with each movement of the market.
Thanks - Yeah, I've noticed that ability. Seems like a bit more work than I want to do, but with a simple portfolio I suppose it wouldn't be too much.

GAAP
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by GAAP » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:26 am

I don't link accounts -- don't need one provider's security problem to cascade to another account...

frankmorris
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by frankmorris » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:14 am

GAAP wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:26 am
I don't link accounts -- don't need one provider's security problem to cascade to another account...
That's actually a good point.

And general update - I contacted Vanguard and there is no way to link an account in terms of showing the other account's balance. Only the manual method mentioned before.

Thanks everyone

danaht
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:28 am

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by danaht » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:52 am

I am hoping that these brokerage firms will start allowing us to create "robo user id's" that have limited access to your account. Then I would feel more comfortable about entering the user name, and password for these sites. Until then - I am just keeping track of all my investments on Google Drive.

frankmorris
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by frankmorris » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:16 pm

danaht wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:52 am
I am hoping that these brokerage firms will start allowing us to create "robo user id's" that have limited access to your account. Then I would feel more comfortable about entering the user name, and password for these sites. Until then - I am just keeping track of all my investments on Google Drive.
That’s a fantastic idea about the more limited access ID. Fantastic actually. That’s actually one of the reasons I’ve got several different accounts - trying not to have all my eggs in one electronic basket.

BogleInTraining
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by BogleInTraining » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:40 pm

frankmorris wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:39 am
BogleInTraining wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:20 pm
This should work. I can confirm that I have this working. Sometimes you may need to re-login, but you'll get an alert from Schwab and it'll prompt you to update it.
Did you login as a checking or savings account for Vanguard? Meaning that when Schwab prompts you to select, which do you choose?
I logged in as checking account.

frankmorris
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by frankmorris » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:26 am

BogleInTraining wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:40 pm
frankmorris wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:39 am
BogleInTraining wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:20 pm
This should work. I can confirm that I have this working. Sometimes you may need to re-login, but you'll get an alert from Schwab and it'll prompt you to update it.
Did you login as a checking or savings account for Vanguard? Meaning that when Schwab prompts you to select, which do you choose?
I logged in as checking account.
Thanks!

RickBoglehead
Posts: 778
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:05 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:02 pm
I've never tried viewing Vanguard holdings in my Schwab account, but I am able to view my Schwab holdings in my Vanguard account. The accounts themselves are not linked. I manually input the Schwab holdings, and Vanguard updates the market value correctly with each movement of the market.
This ^^^

I would never give one institution the login info for another. Easy to update holdings every now and then and VG keeps valuations accurate, unless you trade often but then you wouldn't be on this forum.

moehoward
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:16 am

Re: View Vanguard account within Schwab (connected accounts)

Post by moehoward » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:03 am

I agree with all who are nixing institution to institution login. I see only downside with this issue. Besides, how often do you look at your accounts?

Post Reply