Asset Allocation Change - 4 Years from Retirement

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
bgyt

Asset Allocation Change - 4 Years from Retirement

Post by bgyt » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:46 am

Any comments/thoughts on my Asset Allocation move below:

Retirement Date: 4 years out
To: 60% Bond Fund, 40$ U.S. Stocks

Main concern with new allocation is Interest Rate increases over the next year. I am exposed to that in Bonds, but I need a conservative hedge against market volatility/downturn killing my early retirement plan. What to do?

As a note, my Early Retirement Plan requires me to draw heavy from 401K early and utilizing mainly Pension/SS later, so Risk Aversion can't be traded off.

delamer

Re: Asset Allocation Change - 4 Years from Retirement

Post by delamer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:08 pm

Why not more cash, more stocks, less bonds?

MnD

Post by MnD » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:13 pm

Do you have a stable value option in your 401-K? Would seem ideal in this situation.
Going from 100% stocks to 40% is a big jump. What's up wit that? I notice a lot of bull market is over news articles lately.
Are those getting to you?

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:38 pm

Do you have a pension or taking social security at retirement? My IRA is 85 pct equity funds and 15 pct cash.
I have a pension and am meeting my expenses with it. Also have 600K in taxable brokerage acct as well as emergency cash for a few years. I plan to leave most to kids and government once RMD starts....
You may want to stay a bit more in equities. I am liking VTI for a universal fund to cover me.

bgyt

Post by bgyt » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:03 pm

OP here: I am Government so my non-equity options are G Fund (Treasuries) or F Fund (Bond Fund), that's really it. I would like to understand which one is better return for preservation and best growth in today's environment (Interest Rates rising over the next 12 months).

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Right now a Short Term Bond fund is paying almost as much as an intermediate term bond fund.

I just put 2 years living expenses (I expect to retire in 2019) into Short Term bonds from the proceeds of a rollover.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:39 pm

bgyt wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:03 pm
OP here: I am Government so my non-equity options are G Fund (Treasuries) or F Fund (Bond Fund), that's really it. I would like to understand which one is better return for preservation and best growth in today's environment (Interest Rates rising over the next 12 months).
So you are receiving a deferred annuity?

Put the money you need for the next few years in the G fund. No risk and unusually high return.

bgyt

Post by bgyt » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Thanks, but I've noticed that the F fund is averaging a couple % more than G Fund. I'm just not sure if that will continue in an raising interest rate environment.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:48 pm

bgyt wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:41 pm
Thanks, but I've noticed that the F fund is averaging a couple % more than G Fund. I'm just not sure if that will continue in an raising interest rate environment.
Well, you said you want a conservative hedge so I am suggesting the G Fund.

Nobody know what is going to happen with interest rates or the F Fund.

Only you can decide if the pain of a theoretical drop in the F Fund is worth investing it in.

Obviously, you can split your allocation between G and F.