How to purchase Swiss Stocks?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
JC565

How to purchase Swiss Stocks?

Post by JC565 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:22 am

Hey guys. I am interested in purchasing shares from a swiss company. This is a company I actually used to work for and they have a solid history and dividend. The shares however, are only listed on the swiss exchange. I am not sure how to access them directly. IIRC, my old fidelity account gave me access to foreign exchanges, but I am not sure. (closed it about 8 years ago) Can anyone point me in the right direction?

(also, I am not opposed to ADR's. But Im not sure how to find out which bank would hold these shares and issues the ADRs. I plan on holding these shares as part of my Tax Deferred accounts, so the only fees I am worried about are the currency exchange fees, and the brokerage fees. Im not sure if the ADR would be cheaper than that... but maybe)

Valuethinker

Re: How to purchase Swiss Stocks?

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:48 am

JC565 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:22 am
Hey guys. I am interested in purchasing shares from a swiss company. This is a company I actually used to work for and they have a solid history and dividend. The shares however, are only listed on the swiss exchange. I am not sure how to access them directly. IIRC, my old fidelity account gave me access to foreign exchanges, but I am not sure. (closed it about 8 years ago) Can anyone point me in the right direction?

(also, I am not opposed to ADR's. But Im not sure how to find out which bank would hold these shares and issues the ADRs. I plan on holding these shares as part of my Tax Deferred accounts, so the only fees I am worried about are the currency exchange fees, and the brokerage fees. Im not sure if the ADR would be cheaper than that... but maybe)
If you can find the ADR (the company's own investor relations part of its website is the best place to start) then it's likely to be quite a bit simpler and cheaper - the dividend for example will be paid in USD (AFAIK), buy and sell stock in USD (this I am sure) etc.

Most ADRs are Bank of New York Mellon (or maybe State Street?) I believe. And it shouldn't matter to you, the whole point of an ADR is that it can be bought and sold on the NYSE, like any other stock bought or sold through an American broker.

http://topforeignstocks.com/foreign-adr ... wiss-adrs/ has at least one list.

BTW companies change, and markets change. Lots of people worked for GE down the years, it was a fine company. I bet you not many ex GE employees called the mess they are in now (maybe more recent ex GE did see the rot first hand, but say GE employees who left before 2003).

Topic Author
JC565

Re: How to purchase Swiss Stocks?

Post by JC565 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks for the advice I will look at the links you provided as well as check the website. I'm aware of the GE'esque risk. I'm very diversified, and this will increase my holding in industrial to only about 12-15% of my portfolio. Im basically trying to mirror what index funds do, but with stocks. Slowly getting there.