Getting Employer Match Rolled Over from Pension Account to 403b

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
SteveJ2

Getting Employer Match Rolled Over from Pension Account to 403b

Post by SteveJ2 »

I work at a Texas University, and I was offered the choice of a pension (TRS) or 403b (ORP). The University gave us 3 months to decide on which option we wanted, and I took a couple of months to research options and ended up deciding on the 403b.

During the 2 month period where I was making a decision, the University took money from my paycheck and put it into the pension, along with an employer match. I am looking to move over all of the funds that were put into the pension into the 403b. However, the University sent me a letter indicating that they were only looking to roll into the 403b the funds that came out of my paycheck, and not the ones they provided as part of a match. I had put in around 1k and the University put in around 1k, but the letter I received only offered to move my 1k into the 403b.

Is there any precedent for this kind of situation? I would like to get the University match from those 2 months into my 403b.