Seeking mid-cap and or small-cap Vanguard Funds

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
yousha

Seeking mid-cap and or small-cap Vanguard Funds

Post by yousha » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Any suggestions of Vanguard Funds that are least aggressive in the above mid-cap-and or small cap arenas.

livesoft

Re: Seeking mid-cap and or small-cap Vanguard Funds

Post by livesoft » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:01 pm

I'm not sure what you mean. Vanguard is known for index funds, so why not just use them? Mid-cap index. Small-cap index. Extended market index.

And don't forget VFSVX / VSS the foreign small-cap index.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

yousha

Post by yousha » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:18 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:01 pm
I'm not sure what you mean. Vanguard is known for index funds, so why not just use them? Mid-cap index. Small-cap index. Extended market index.

It seems that all of the aforementioned funds have a five rating suggesting they are very aggressive. Is there any fund in these two arenas that may be considered moderately aggressive.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:21 pm

I doubt it. You asked for equities and small / mid. That's the very definition of aggressiveness.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

grkmec

Post by grkmec » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 pm

I am a big fan of this fund:

VTMSX - Vanguard Tax-Managed Small Cap Fund Admiral Shares

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:32 pm

The small cap premium is even better when combined with the value premium. I would suggest a small value fund: VBR or it's mutual fund equivalent. It is more risky, but that's a good thing. You can be less risky in other areas: hold more bonds (ETF: BND), etc. This is called a barbell strategy. Larry Swedroe and Fama French have some good literature on it. However, like with any investing, it's no guarantee. You want to stick to your basic three fund portfolio for a solid foundation (ETF: VTI, VXUS). VSS is also a decent international small cap ETF.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fama%E2%8 ... ctor_model

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:53 pm

I follow VO (mid) and VB (small) Vanguard ETFs that have Investor and Admiral fund equivalents. According to google finance, the market cap is $5B and $24B respectively, and I assume it includes all classes of ETF and funds (vs. 131.71B for VTSMX). [or not; updated what Vanguard reports -- in any case, they're big funds or huge funds]

https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/overview/vo [Fund total net assets $95.0 billion]
https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/vb [Fund total net assets $84.7 billion]

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:02 pm

yousha wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:18 pm
livesoft wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:01 pm

It seems that all of the aforementioned funds have a five rating suggesting they are very aggressive. Is there any fund in these two arenas that may be considered moderately aggressive.
I think you need to do some reading before deviating from a market weight portfolio. I agree with the above note to add value. I’d skip the Vanguard mid-cap as their small-cap folllws the CRSP index which is more like 50/50 mid/small (tax-managed follows the smaller/riskier S&P600).

I prefer the S&P600 though so I use VIOV.