MD&P just purchased X / sold Y [md&pharmacist]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
md&pharmacist

Re: MD&P just purchased X / sold Y [md&pharmacist]

Post by md&pharmacist » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:27 pm

I'm not 50% cash.

But, with 50% cash, a 1 year return of 13.7% in this under-performing market! Wow, that means the funds are collectively at 27.4% 1 year even with my sleepers, and in this lazy market where the DOW hasn't seen it's high in months. You can see how it's been so good in a normalized market like 2017, where my best performer hit over 105% 1 year return (my second best hit 80%, and yes they were all pretty much doing great).

Your help with the fine tuning as we go we can create a spectacular portfolio together!

I'm talking to the quiet and objective observers here. They get it.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:33 pm

There is nothing to 'get'.

You keep making outrageous claims yet are unwilling to provide the data to back up those claims. It's clear that you probably don't even know how to calculate your actual returns to this point.

If you want to learn something - together - there are plenty of exceptionally gifted people here who will help you wade through the details and figure it out with you. As it stands though it's fairly obvious that you prefer to drop hints about how 'fabulous' you are in myriad ways (big successful trades, net worth, expensive cars, etc.)

You'll be disappointed to find out that this crowd isn't wowed by that stuff.

It's time to back up your claims - and the only way to do that is to provide precise details - not just the bits that make you look good.

Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:44 pm

I've spent almost ten minutes reading through these posts, and I have to admit that I really don't understand the point of this meandering, non-actionable, run-its-course-candidate-if-there-ever-was-one thread.
"A courageous teacher, failure is."

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:49 pm

md&pharmacist wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:27 pm
I'm not 50% cash.

But, with 50% cash, a 1 year return of 13.7% in this under-performing market!
Your basic vanilla index fund that you own and listed above beats that

VFIAX (Vanguard 500 Admiral) has a 1 year return of 14.35%

You keep saying "under-performing" market, but a 1-year return of 14.35% is a very good return historically.
Wow, that means the funds are collectively at 27.4% 1 year even with my sleepers
Yep, and your large cash position based on the fact that you were predicting a crash (incorrectly) means you are trailing the market. Because your bet last year about the market crashing soon has failed to occur, you left a bunch of money on the table.
They get that your biggest performers are leveraged funds that have gone up 2x-3x as fast because the market is up. But if the market goes down, they will go down 2x-3x as fast as well. You temper this volatility by having a large amount in cash.

But after all your hours and hours of "research" reading Yahoo Finance and dividing your money into 10 different funds, you still end up trailing a plain vanilla index fund.

We here know what we don't know. We can't predict the future. So we stay invested all the time. Sure a crash could happen tomorrow, but maybe not for years. No one knows. You thought you could predict the crash, put a bunch of money into cash, and then trailed the returns of someone who just invested steadily in the market.
Last edited by HomerJ on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The J stands for Jay

Chip

Post by Chip » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:09 pm

onourway wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:33 pm
There is nothing to 'get'.

You keep making outrageous claims yet are unwilling to provide the data to back up those claims. It's clear that you probably don't even know how to calculate your actual returns to this point.

If you want to learn something - together - there are plenty of exceptionally gifted people here who will help you wade through the details and figure it out with you. As it stands though it's fairly obvious that you prefer to drop hints about how 'fabulous' you are in myriad ways (big successful trades, net worth, expensive cars, etc.)

You'll be disappointed to find out that this crowd isn't wowed by that stuff.

It's time to back up your claims - and the only way to do that is to provide precise details - not just the bits that make you look good.
Nicely written. It's exactly my view as well. I have returns spreadsheets going back 20 years, with equity and fixed income returns calculated on all cash flows using XIRR. I'm sure I'm not alone here in doing this kind of record-keeping.

Oh yeah, and I bought AMZN in 2006 for $40, GOOG in 2004 for $65, and AAPL in 2002 for a split-adjusted $1.07. :twisted:

columbia

Post by columbia » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:18 pm

md&pharmacist wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:51 pm
Hi everyone. A number of Bogleheads have asked me to post how and when I buy such highly performing funds, and sell my under-performers. Barring a major correction/bear, looking to maintain an average 30-40% 1 year annualized return portfolio.

I'll start with my last transaction:

Purchased DXQLX on February 8, 2018 $20.3/share. Closed Friday, June 8, 2018 at 26.09. So far a healthy 28% return over four months. I am relatively confident in the tech heavy Nasdaq over the longer term. I find technology to be one of the strongest spots in the overall market at this time.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... x7YsFdayBA

Will try to post future moves as real time as possible.

Feel free to analyze the fund/timing and comment on how to improve returns.

I encourage you to listen to this:

The Stupidest Thing You Can Do With Your Money
http://freakonomics.com/podcast/stupidest-money/

Many great lines, including this:
Barry RITHOLTZ: It’s a tax on smart people who don’t realize their propensity for doing stupid things.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Note I'm still willing to see how you do going forward. Just understand that what you have done so far is nothing special. Quit bragging, and let's see what your next hundred hours of "research" turns up.

Remember, Warren Buffet had a ten-year bet with a hedge-fund manager that the plain index fund would beat the hedge-fund guy and it did. This was a guy with a whole team of PhDs that spent all day researching the markets without having to see patients on the side. And they couldn't beat a plain vanilla index fund over the long-run.
The J stands for Jay

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:27 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:20 pm
Remember, Warren Buffet had a ten-year bet with a hedge-fund manager that the plain index fund would beat the hedge-fund guy and it did. This was a guy with a whole team of PhDs that spent all day researching the markets without having to see patients on the side. And they couldn't beat a plain vanilla index fund over the long-run.
It's actually much more dramatic than that. The hedge fund manager picked five funds-of-funds and none of them beat Buffet individually, much less as a group. That's three layers of fund managers picking investments they thought would outperform: the fund managers, the fund-of-fund managers, and the manager who made the bet with Buffett. The S&P 500 index actually underperformed them all in 2008's down market. The specific funds were not revealed to protect the managers but I assume that some or all of them used margin, futures, and similar, all the tools available to try to beat the market.

Here's a thread on it with a link to a good article about it:

viewtopic.php?t=242195

md&pharmacist, you could really learn a lot from Bogleheads if you would be willing to set aside your ego.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:29 pm

I agree that this would be a very interesting thread if you are willing to follow through with the kind of detail it takes to make it verifiable. It'd be a great learning experience for you and the entire board - no matter what the outcome.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:44 pm

I agree that this would be a very interesting thread if you are willing to follow through with the kind of detail it takes to make it verifiable.
The only way for that to happen is to get some ground-rules and stop with the complaints about the thread and bashing the OP. Let's have some actual discussion about the test. If past results are needed, discuss how to do that. Also when and how to report future moves.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:51 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:44 pm
I agree that this would be a very interesting thread if you are willing to follow through with the kind of detail it takes to make it verifiable.
The only way for that to happen is to get some ground-rules and stop with the complaints about the thread and bashing the OP. Let's have some actual discussion about the test. If past results are needed, discuss how to do that. Also when and how to report future moves.
IMO that was done in the first page. Reasonable ground rules were proposed. The need to include your cash position was repeatedly brought up. Information was posted that was not even remotely complete enough to mean anything. md&pharmacist didn't even engage in the discussion of the rules, and ignored the calls to include specifics. Then he follows up repeatedly with the same style of boastful posts typical of his history. Either he starts engaging in a way that indicates he's clearly moving towards providing full transparency or the thread should be locked.

So far we are 3 pages in and he hasn't made a single post that indicates he has any interest in running the thread in a transparent manner.

@md&pharmacist - see the following thread for an example of what kind of detail we are after. viewtopic.php?t=179414

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:27 pm

md&pharmacist wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:01 am
Several of my funds have at some point had 1 year returns in excess of 70-100% in strong years, including 2017.
"At some point" really doesn't mean anything. Did you sell at that one point?

Looking at a 1-year chart of UGPIX (Leveraged China fund), I see that was indeed up 73% "at one point"

Two weeks later, it was only up 28%. That is some SERIOUS volatility there.

This fund was down almost 90% during the 2008 crash and didn't fully recover until JUST THIS YEAR. This is a dangerous beast you're riding.

It's 10-year chart shows it's up 3% over 10 full years.
The J stands for Jay

craimund

Post by craimund » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:46 pm

md&pharmacist wrote:
I'm not 50% cash.

But, with 50% cash, a 1 year return of 13.7% in this under-performing market! Wow, that means the funds are collectively at 27.4% 1 year even with my sleepers, and in this lazy market where the DOW hasn't seen it's high in months. You can see how it's been so good in a normalized market like 2017, where my best performer hit over 105% 1 year return (my second best hit 80%, and yes they were all pretty much doing great).

Your help with the fine tuning as we go we can create a spectacular portfolio together!

As someone else has said, returns for the last year have been very good. There are many non-leveraged growth funds that have seen returns well in excess of 20%. T. Rowe Price alone has 4 domestic stock funds that have averaged over 25% (Blue Chip Growth Fund has a 1 year return >30%) and another four that have averaged 20-25%. This is just one fund company. Fidelity also has a number of funds that have done this well.
"When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose"-Bob Dylan 1965. "When you think that you've lost everything, you find out you can always lose a little more"-Dylan 1997

md&pharmacist

Post by md&pharmacist » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:27 pm

craimund wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:46 pm
md&pharmacist wrote:
I'm not 50% cash.

As someone else has said, returns for the last year have been very good. There are many non-leveraged growth funds that have seen returns well in excess of 20%. T. Rowe Price alone has 4 domestic stock funds that have averaged over 25% (Blue Chip Growth Fund has a 1 year return >30%) and another four that have averaged 20-25%. This is just one fund company. Fidelity also has a number of funds that have done this well.
Thanks so much for your insight into some funds. I'll look into The T Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth Fund. As you can see from my portfolio, the majority of my funds are non-leveraged and have done very well. I am quite pleased with my 3 Fidelity funds. The funds that have not done as well are the ones I want to reconsider to further improve my returns. The trick is to maintain diversification within the best sectors.

Thanks again!

oldcomputerguy

Re: Stay the course

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:23 pm
Bogleheads:

Each year I sell shares of my Total Bond Market Index Fund in my IRA to meet RMD (Required Minimum Distributions). I reinvest the proceeds in my taxable S&P 500 fund. That's my trading.
So, sir, you are actually increasing risk exposure with the passage of time?
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

md&pharmacist

Post by md&pharmacist » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:31 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:44 pm
Earl, you are a good man. Like you, those here with reasonable posts or just watching and declining to post (out of fear, sadly), are objective with genuine interest. The others, with hostile posts, are so afraid that my well performing portfolio can still be improved further. It won't matter that the majority of my funds will well out-pace the market returns this year. Hence the false presumptions, unreasonable demands, name calling, etc. Obviously if they presume any and everything I say is false, then nothing could be said at all and that is what they want. Let's say I make a very good pick after the next correction - why wouldn't they just say I didn't really buy it, rather than appreciating the strategic timing and pick. I guarantee if it's a bad pick, they will definitely believe it without question. So know where they are coming from.

I just keep trying to better myself, as are you and the quiet observers here. The rest want noise to drown other's ability to draw their own unbiased conclusions. Those just interested in making noise will not have the time or insight to ever better themselves, so they sadly only hurt themselves.

If not just for any more than curiosity purposes, those who are objective should just skip over the noise. Or maybe they want to add a fund or two to their very reasonable 3 index fund portfolio. It doesn't need to be leveraged, or my exact portfolio or any of my funds. It just should be a thought out, researched, timely purchase.

I give a lot of credit to Ladygeek who understands the value of freedom of speech (this is not a totalitarian state) and those who defended my right to speech and reasonable feedback, and I appreciate those who ask legitimate questions or are just curious but civil.

In the end, whether I am 0% cash or 99.99999% cash, the reality is that if someone wants to consider my techniques, timing and/or holdings - they will not have the same cash positions as I. Ignore the noise, that's all it is.

About 13% of my portfolio is in cash, and most of that was funded in March for the April tax deadline. Now watch what an incredibly big deal the noisemakers make of that. That smokescreen will likewise clear, and you and the other objective observers, I'm sure, won't be misguided.

The naysayers will never acknowledge a pick I just discussed...the tech heavy Nasdaq. Which index did the best today? Not bragging, just pointing out that, despite popular belief, one can continue to make sound assessments of the information before them - that ultimately leads to better picks, better entry/exit strategies and better performance. While one up day does not make a trend, the trend was already there, and barring any shocks to the system, should continue. Should it not, there's a plan for that too.

Go tech, go health care, go China, go semiconductors, go biotechnology, go growth!!!

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:38 pm

In the end, whether I am 0% cash or 99.99999% cash, the reality is that if someone wants to consider my techniques, timing and/or holdings - they will not have the same cash positions as I. Ignore the noise, that's all it is.
This is not true. Knowing what percentage you held in cash at various points is important in determining what risk you took on.
About 13% of my portfolio is in cash, and most of that was funded in March for the April tax deadline. Now watch what an incredibly big deal the noisemakers make of that. That smokescreen will likewise clear, and you and the other objective observers, I'm sure, won't be misguided.
Thank you for this detail. In all future transactions please do remember to disclose what portion you are adding/removing from your cash position so performance can be properly computed.

Good luck!
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:51 pm

md&pharmacist wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:31 pm
. . . those here with reasonable posts or just watching and declining to post (out of fear, sadly), are objective with genuine interest. The others, with hostile posts, are so afraid that my well performing portfolio can still be improved further. It won't matter that the majority of my funds will well out-pace the market returns this year. Hence the false presumptions, unreasonable demands, name calling, etc. Obviously if they presume any and everything I say is false, then nothing could be said at all and that is what they want. Let's say I make a very good pick after the next correction - why wouldn't they just say I didn't really buy it, rather than appreciating the strategic timing and pick. I guarantee if it's a bad pick, they will definitely believe it without question. So know where they are coming from.

I just keep trying to better myself, as are you and the quiet observers here. The rest want noise to drown other's ability to draw their own unbiased conclusions. Those just interested in making noise will not have the time or insight to ever better themselves, so they sadly only hurt themselves. . . .
Most of your assumptions and statements are hilariously contrary to reality but I'll only address one of them: No one cares whether or not you are actually making the purchases and sales. It doesn't matter if it is your real portfolio and trades or just what you claim to be your portfolio and trades. It could also be in between, in other words, you could multiply all your figures by a factor of 10 and when you say you bought 1,000 shares you really bought 100 and no one would care. What matters is if it is possible to verify the supposed outperformance of your investment methods and activities, claimed or real.

md&pharmacist

Post by md&pharmacist » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:03 pm

triceratop wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:38 pm
This is not true. Knowing what percentage you held in cash at various points is important in determining what risk you took on.
Thank you for this detail. In all future transactions please do remember to disclose what portion you are adding/removing from your cash position so performance can be properly computed.

Good luck!
You have a point. Regarding risk, I also made it quite clear in my disclosure that my entire stock market exposure is currently only about 15% of NW, and my NW is well above FI. That's a much better overall picture of my risk appetite. I also pointed out that investors have to take the appropriate level of risk for their specific circumstances. I have clarified my age and income stream as it relates to my risk mitigation strategy.

Your statement regarding future transactions makes a lot of sense. If not already clear, 0 in bond funds currently (some have asked).

Thanks!

EyeYield

Post by EyeYield » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:09 pm

MD&P just purchased X / sold Y
Ok, I just read the whole thread, because of the evocative title, and no where could I find what was just purchased.

Can someone tell me if I missed it or if it was deleted? Thanks.

If the market is open and I say, “at the same time I clicked on submit for this post, I clicked on submit for my order of FlyingZambonies (FZB) @$30, representing 5% of my taxable portfolio*”, I would expect my target audience to understand how I’m beating the market in real time when I also click submit for my sell order as I post the results. (Listing the totality of my portfolio would of course be a prerequisite.)

Is there another/better way to keep myself honest that I’m missing? Thanks.

*I know orders don’t post as quickly as posts, but it’s usually close. Just as good to say, “I just submitted.......”
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:05 pm

EyeYield wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:09 pm
MD&P just purchased X / sold Y
Ok, I just read the whole thread, because of the evocative title, and no where could I find what was just purchased.

Can someone tell me if I missed it or if it was deleted? Thanks.
I think it hasn't happened yet. :beer

md&pharmacist

Post by md&pharmacist » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:57 am

mortfree wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:20 am
What is on your watch list, MDP?
Here are some funds I am seriously looking at:

1- FSRPX (Fidelity Select Retailing Portfolio) currently YTD 18.52%, 1-YEAR 29.31%, 3-YEAR 22.84%, 5-YEAR 12.66%, 10-YEAR 18.21%

This would help me diversify into consumer cyclicals,

Top 10 Holdings
AS OF 3/31/2018

69.80% of Total Portfolio

AMZN AMAZON.COM INC
HD HOME DEPOT INC
BKNG THE BOOKING HOLDINGS INC
NFLX NETFLIX INC
LOW LOWES COS INC
TJX TJX COMPANIES INC NEW
DG DOLLAR GENERAL CORP
ROST ROSS STORES INC
AZO AUTOZONE INC
ORLY O'REILLY AUTOMOTIVE INC
49 holdings as of 3/31/2018

2- PSGAX (Virtus Kar Small Cap Growth) YTD 25.30%, 1-YEAR 42.41%, 3-YEAR 25.75%, 5-YEAR 20.61%, 10-YEAR 14.39%

This would help me diversify into small cap.

Top 10 Holdings
AS OF 3/31/2018

49.05% of Total Portfolio

ATHM Autohome Inc ADR 9.11%
FOXF Fox Factory Holding Corp 4.83%
ATDRF Auto Trader Group PLC 4.82%
ODFL Old Dominion Freight Lines Inc 4.72%
HEI/A Heico Corp Class A 4.52%
OLLI Ollie's Bargain Outlet Holdings Inc 4.49%
CPRT Copart Inc 4.39%
IBKR Interactive Brokers Group Inc 4.21%
RTMVF Rightmove PLC 4.09%
AZPN Aspen Technology Inc 3.88%
30 holdings as of 3/31/2018

3- ETNHX (Eventide Healthcare and Life Sciences) YTD 20.40%, 1-YEAR 63.40%, 3-YEAR 10.15%, 5-YEAR 22.93%, 10-YEAR - %

Top 10 Holdings
AS OF 3/31/2018

29.90% of Total Portfolio

COLL Collegium Pharmaceutical Inc 4.12%
ASND Ascendis Pharma A/S ADR 4.10%
SRPT Sarepta Therapeutics Inc 3.13%
SAGE Sage Therapeutics Inc 2.92%
AIMT Aimmune Therapeutics Inc 2.90%
-- AveXis Inc 2.77%
BPMC Blueprint Medicines Corp 2.57%
VRTX Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc 2.53%
VYGR Voyager Therapeutics Inc 2.47%
NBIX Neurocrine Biosciences Inc 2.42%
79 holdings as of 3/31/2018

4- INPIX (Profunds Internet Ultrasector) YTD 45.82%, 1-YEAR 64.15%, 3-YEAR 37.59%, 5-YEAR 34.36%, 10-YEAR 23.71 %

This is a LEVERAGED fund!!!

Top 10 Holdings
AS OF 1/31/2018

38.75% of Total Portfolio

AMZN Amazon.com Inc 7.06%
FB Facebook Inc A 5.63%
NFLX Netflix Inc 4.81%
PYPL PayPal Holdings Inc 3.92%
GOOG Alphabet Inc C 3.60%
GOOGL Alphabet Inc A 3.58%
CRM Salesforce.com Inc 3.46%
EBAY eBay Inc 2.66%
TWTR Twitter Inc 2.09%
ANET Arista Networks Inc 1.94%
48 holdings as of 1/31/2018

5- FSMEX (Fidelity Select Medical Technology) YTD 20.42%, 1-YEAR 20.82%, 3-YEAR 15.16%, 5-YEAR 20.71%, 10-YEAR 14.34%

Top 10 Holdings
AS OF 3/31/2018

58.69% of Total Portfolio

BDX BECTON DICKINSON & CO
BSX BOSTON SCIENTIFIC CORP
SYK STRYKER CORP
ISRG INTUITIVE SURGICAL INC
BAX BAXTER INTL INC
TMO THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC INC
-- MEDTRONIC PLC
DHR DANAHER CORP
EW EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES CORP
DXCM DEXCOM INC
54 holdings as of 3/31/2018

Any other recommendations? Thx!

BeBH65

Post by BeBH65 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:52 am

Hello,

To be able to discuss additions to your portfolio we first need to understand what you currently have.
Can you please complete the table below.

- amount = shares - fund
$XXX,XXX = XXX - VFIAX (Vanguard 500 Admiral)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - VQNPX (Vanguard Growth and Income)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - VWNDX (Vanguard Windsor Fund)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - UNPIX (Profunds Ultra International Fund)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - DXQLX (Direxion Nasdaq 100 Bull 2x)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - FBIOX (Fidelity Select Biotechnology)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - FSPHX (Fidelity Select Healthcare)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - FSELX (Fidelity Select Semiconductors)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - OPGIX (Oppenheimer Global Opportunties)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - UGPIX (Profunds Ultra China)
$1,500,000 Cash for Investing
BeBH65. (only an investment enthusiast, not a financial adviser, perform your due diligence).

md&pharmacist

Post by md&pharmacist » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:11 am

BeBH65 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:52 am
Hello,

To be able to discuss additions to your portfolio we first need to understand what you currently have.
Can you please complete the table below.

- amount = shares - fund
$XXX,XXX = XXX - VFIAX (Vanguard 500 Admiral)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - VQNPX (Vanguard Growth and Income)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - VWNDX (Vanguard Windsor Fund)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - UNPIX (Profunds Ultra International Fund)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - DXQLX (Direxion Nasdaq 100 Bull 2x)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - FBIOX (Fidelity Select Biotechnology)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - FSPHX (Fidelity Select Healthcare)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - FSELX (Fidelity Select Semiconductors)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - OPGIX (Oppenheimer Global Opportunties)
$XXX,XXX = XXX - UGPIX (Profunds Ultra China)
$1,500,000 Cash for Investing
- amount = shares - fund (as of 6/15/2018)
$291,437.17 = 1,129.689 - VFIAX (Vanguard 500 Admiral)
$32,675.52 = 655.214 - VQNPX (Vanguard Growth and Income)
$5,837.29 = 244.034 - VWNDX (Vanguard Windsor Fund)
$89,407.53 = 4896.360 - UNPIX (Profunds Ultra International Fund)
$194,301.02 = 7205.005 - DXQLX (Direxion Nasdaq 100 Bull 2x)
$181,432.03 = 776.213 - FBIOX (Fidelity Select Biotechnology)
$120,679.46 = 482.602 - FSPHX (Fidelity Select Healthcare)
$378,030.21 = 31,216.350 - FSELX (Fidelity Select Semiconductors)
$157,740.55 = 2,138.275 - OPGIX (Oppenheimer Global Opportunties)
$128,877.46 = 5,781.851 - UGPIX (Profunds Ultra China)
$277,270.87 Cash for Investing

Chip

Post by Chip » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:32 am

Thanks for the info!

There is some sort of minor error on DXQLX. I have a closing price yesterday of 26.98. 7,205.005 shares * 26.98 = 194,391, vs. the 194,301 shown in your list. Can you clarify?

md&pharmacist

Post by md&pharmacist » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:49 am

Chip wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:32 am
Thanks for the info!

There is some sort of minor error on DXQLX. I have a closing price yesterday of 26.98. 7,205.005 shares * 26.98 = 194,391, vs. the 194,301 shown in your list. Can you clarify?
Thank you. The 0 is next to 9 on keyboard. Just rechecked, it is $194,391.03 for DXQLX.

marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:10 pm

MD&P,
I really have no problem with your investment strategy. You seem to be happy with it, and with your resources, it does not matter much anyway. I wish you luck in your endeavors.

I don't really understand some of the vitriol aimed your way. I am, however, a bit curious as to what you hope to get out of engaging on this message board.

Many come here to ask questions about investing, personal finance, etc. You don't seem to need, or want, such advice.

Some come here to help others with some of those topics. I am not seeing where you have given any advice to help others achieve better performance like you claim to have done.

Others come here to simply exchange ideas with like minded investors. In another thread asking about what BH concepts people violate, you responded saying "all of them".

What are you hoping to accomplish here? Understanding that better may help keep the conversation more focused and civil.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:27 pm

With your skill in investing, there aren't many on this forum that can beat your performance. Most people here are boring index investors that believe in statistics. That is, the overwhelming majority of investors cannot beat the market in the long run. The ones that can will be justly rewarded for their risk. The ones that cannot will be justly punished for their risk. I don't think you will get the advice you are looking for here.
Last edited by goodenyou on Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | "The best years you have left are the ones you have right now"

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:50 pm

md&pharmacist wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:11 am
If I totaled this up correctly, you have $1,580,418.24 in investments plus $277,270.87 in cash for a total of $1,857,689.11 in your portfolio?

I believe in other threads you've boasted that you're in your mid 40's with a net worth of $10 million and make $1 million a year. How long have you been making doctor money?

I can see why you'd want 30-40% returns based on your Portfolio to Income ratio.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde

md&pharmacist

Post by md&pharmacist » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:38 pm

ThatGuy wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:50 pm

If I totaled this up correctly, you have $1,580,418.24 in investments plus $277,270.87 in cash for a total of $1,857,689.11 in your portfolio?

I believe in other threads you've boasted that you're in your mid 40's with a net worth of $10 million and make $1 million a year. How long have you been making doctor money?

I can see why you'd want 30-40% returns based on your Portfolio to Income ratio.
Thanks for your feedback.

This is the size of the portfolio in tax deferred accounts.

Doctor and PharmD income 17 years, started at about 1/4 of current income.

I think you have a point in the psychology of why I want to, over the long term, try to achieve a 30-40% annualized average return. Given my income, smaller returns will only slowly increase my NW. However, currently my entire stock market investment portfolio is in 401(k) and IRA, so obviously the limits on contributions have kept it suppressed. I have other investments but not in the stock market since it's a relatively mature market. I don't have statistics, but given my returns with the above funds over the years, it's probably larger than average tax deferred retirement plans at age 45. If I retired tomorrow, my entire retirement portfolio is $10M plus SS. That's a 10:1 ratio (a little less because we earn more) of actual funds available for me to retire, to income. From everything I have read, that's a better ratio of savings to income in one's mid 40's than is generally recommended - I think about 4X annual income is recommended at my age.

Thanks.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:54 pm

md&pharmacist wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:38 pm
If I retired tomorrow, my entire retirement portfolio is $10M plus SS. That's a 10:1 ratio (a little less because we earn more) of actual funds available for me to retire, to income. From everything I have read, that's a better ratio of savings to income in one's mid 40's than is generally recommended - I think about 4X annual income is recommended at my age.
This is a completely different topic, but be aware that the ratio of savings to income is a terrible metric. Especially for someone like you, who is way outside the norm.

What is important is expenses. We talk about 25x-50x expenses around here. I believe you've said you could live on $100,000 a year if you sold the business and retired, so you're actually at 100x expenses. $200,000 a year would put you at 50x expenses. Your $10 million would throw off $200,000 a year just from 2% dividends.

You're doing very well. You absolutely do not need to make 30%-40% a year on your investments.
The J stands for Jay

md&pharmacist

Post by md&pharmacist » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:00 pm

goodenyou wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:27 pm
With your skill in investing, there aren't many on this forum that can beat your performance. Most people here are boring index investors that believe in statistics. That is, the overwhelming majority of investors cannot beat the market in the long run. The ones that can will be justly rewarded for their risk. The ones that cannot will be justly punished for their risk. I don't think you will get the advice you are looking for here.
TY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you're right, nor can I convince people who are so entrenched that picking top funds and re-balancing to stay in top sectors is not that difficult with the power of the internet. I found that a logical plan for corrections, recessions and bear markets can take away one's fear and allow one to utilize these periods to enhance returns. Market returns are going to buy people very few extra few years of retirement time, or they will have to over-save or over-work and lose out today. They have to first believe there is a better way before they can find it. Hopefully, some are starting to understand.Others, more power to them.

sergeant

Post by sergeant » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:17 pm

I'm pretty sure the internet is not the key to achieving 30-40% returns. I'm guessing all fund managers have access to it.
Lincoln 3 EOW!

le_sacre

Post by le_sacre » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:57 pm

md&pharmacist wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:00 pm
... picking top funds and re-balancing to stay in top sectors is not that difficult with the power of the internet. I found that a logical plan for corrections, recessions and bear markets can take away one's fear and allow one to utilize these periods to enhance returns. ...
What I'm mainly curious to know is: how do you reconcile your assessment--that you have a logical approach, accessible to intelligent people using public data without devoting their lives to the study of finance, that reliably outperforms the market--with the fact that a vanishingly small percentage of teams of extremely intelligent people, working full time, who have spent entire careers studying markets, manage to achieve that result? For example, do you suspect that all those struggling quants and Buffett acolytes are not as smart as you, or lack some sort of common sense, or are stuck in a conventional wisdom bubble that prevents them from seeing easy opportunities?

I'm also curious how you'd explain the pitfalls of "chasing performance" and how your approach avoids that.

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:50 pm

md&pharmacist wrote:

TY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you're right, nor can I convince people who are so entrenched that picking top funds and re-balancing to stay in top sectors is not that difficult with the power of the internet. I found that a logical plan for corrections, recessions and bear markets can take away one's fear and allow one to utilize these periods to enhance returns. Market returns are going to buy people very few extra few years of retirement time, or they will have to over-save or over-work and lose out today. They have to first believe there is a better way before they can find it. Hopefully, some are starting to understand.Others, more power to them.
Nothing you have shared here has demonstrated that you can even calculate your returns with any degree of precision, let alone beat the market year after year, decade after decade. Quite the contrary, in fact.

bberris

Post by bberris » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:46 am

As far as I can gather, he screens for funds with recent outperformance (the power of the internet!).

There is sort of a method to this madness. He seems to be following a momentum strategy that is wildly inefficient but somewhat effective. Much easier and cheaper to just buy MTUM. And MTUM is also riskier than a vanilla index fund.

diy60

Post by diy60 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:16 am

md&pharmacist wrote:
goodenyou wrote:
TY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OPs posts are frustratingly low on details, and high on alleged superiority.

OP, specific to your latest picks, no way would I touch those funds (front loads, redemption fees, day trading investments only, high costs). Maybe for starters, please expound on why and how you selected those 5 funds?

md&pharmacist

Post by md&pharmacist » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:47 pm

sergeant wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:17 pm
I'm pretty sure the internet is not the key to achieving 30-40% returns. I'm guessing all fund managers have access to it.
Access, yes (as do almost all Americans and many worldwide). Harnessing the power to accomplish what others may deem near impossible, no. If I am one day able to accomplish these ambitious long term average returns, it will be the internet that has done it for me...

...and yes, the internet is not the only thing. There's a uniquely inherent ambition and determination that drives some of us in the face of criticism and skepticism.

The fund managers can run circles around me when it comes to picking stocks and timing stock purchases, so I harness their talents. But being bound by their sectors, I become the expert in staying in the best sectors, in buying as low as possible, and preparing for periods of instability over the decades.

md&pharmacist

Post by md&pharmacist » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:46 pm

le_sacre wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:57 pm
md&pharmacist wrote:
... picking top funds and re-balancing to stay in top sectors is not that difficult with the power of the internet. I found that a logical plan for corrections, recessions and bear markets can take away one's fear and allow one to utilize these periods to enhance returns. ...
What I'm mainly curious to know is: how do you reconcile your assessment--that you have a logical approach, accessible to intelligent people using public data without devoting their lives to the study of finance, that reliably outperforms the market--with the fact that a vanishingly small percentage of teams of extremely intelligent people, working full time, who have spent entire careers studying markets, manage to achieve that result? For example, do you suspect that all those struggling quants and Buffett acolytes are not as smart as you, or lack some sort of common sense, or are stuck in a conventional wisdom bubble that prevents them from seeing easy opportunities?

I'm also curious how you'd explain the pitfalls of "chasing performance" and how your approach avoids that.
I totally and wholeheartedly reject (and have already done so) that I am any smarter than anyone here. As a matter of fact I repeatedly say it's not that hard to do what I do, maybe just takes a little work. I have found MY system, perhaps others have not yet found (or sought) theirs. I came here thinking many had an even more successful system, but almost everyone here says that almost no one does - hence their skepticism toward my own methods (though I think there are more who do this well, but maybe most are not on Bogleheads or afraid to speak here). I do think, despite not being a financial professional, I have dedicated more time to research (again from what people say here) and that has given me an advantage while others dismiss my efforts as pure luck as they pertain to my investment choices and returns.

I do believe following conventional wisdom, or "herd" mentality keeps us from our full potential. Warren buffet says he sells when there is extreme euphoria and buys when there is extreme fear. Another way of saying buy low and sell high. I say the same thing by selling (sectors that have fallen out of favor, or fund managers that have lost their mojo) into euphoria and buying (sectors in favor) after corrections and depressions stabilize.

Regarding chasing performance, I can only base my decisions on two things. 1- the data available to me, which includes past performance and 2- the information and commentary which points to what will be the strongest sectors going forward. I start my research with sectors, I do not go to the hot fund of the past 6 months. Once I decided, I believe going forward I expect relative strength in healthcare/biotechnology, technology/internet, China, consumer cyclicals, aerospace and defense, then I go back to my fund research and while I want strong 3 or 6 months performance, the 3, 5 and 10 year data are far more compelling in the decision making process to, as best as possible, try to guarantee continuation of the strong trajectory. I research the fund holdings, Morningstar and Zachs ratings, try to find how long the fund managers have been in their position, etc. to further verify my confidence in the investment's suitability.

I am as imperfect as anyone else. If I make a wrong call, I will correct it quickly to stay on top. You can see from my listed portfolio that my worst 1 year performer was up about 10%. Not bad for a worst performer but if I feel the sector it's invested in will outperform I will hold on, if not I move on. In good markets, it is not unusual that several of my funds hit 40-100% 1 year returns due to the strength of the underlying sectors.

Even index investors chase performance, the average performance of the markets over the past century. It is the history upon which everyone, including fund managers base decisions.

If you have the time, watch my portfolio day to day or week to week, year to year. I am as curious as anyone else to see where the markets will take it. I have also listed several funds I am watching for a buying opportunity (of course in sectors I am currently confident in).

md&pharmacist

Post by md&pharmacist » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:00 pm

diy60 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:16 am
md&pharmacist wrote:
goodenyou wrote:
TY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OPs posts are frustratingly low on details, and high on alleged superiority.

OP, specific to your latest picks, no way would I touch those funds (front loads, redemption fees, day trading investments only, high costs). Maybe for starters, please expound on why and how you selected those 5 funds?
Let me know what details. I've posted my holdings and sector preferences, relative positions and shares, performance statistics, buying strategy, selling strategy, disclaimers, thought process. Sorry if I used the word superior anywhere.

These picks are in strong sectors and with relative out-performance to their peers. They are just for consideration. I don't believe I have ever yet purchased a fund with front or back load - so I have to consider all the advantages and disadvantages before any decision is made. Generally, over the years, I have unfortunately found the best performers to have higher fund fees so I only buy if I feel I will still come out ahead. Low fund fees are just a marketing strategy for the big firms, they are not necessarily best for you unless they can prove comparable performance, and often that is not the case. They are generally lower risk lower return vehicles for those that prefer this.

WanderingDoc

Post by WanderingDoc » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:34 pm

columbia wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:18 pm
md&pharmacist wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:51 pm
Hi everyone. A number of Bogleheads have asked me to post how and when I buy such highly performing funds, and sell my under-performers. Barring a major correction/bear, looking to maintain an average 30-40% 1 year annualized return portfolio.

I'll start with my last transaction:

Purchased DXQLX on February 8, 2018 $20.3/share. Closed Friday, June 8, 2018 at 26.09. So far a healthy 28% return over four months. I am relatively confident in the tech heavy Nasdaq over the longer term. I find technology to be one of the strongest spots in the overall market at this time.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... x7YsFdayBA

Will try to post future moves as real time as possible.

Feel free to analyze the fund/timing and comment on how to improve returns.

I encourage you to listen to this:

The Stupidest Thing You Can Do With Your Money
http://freakonomics.com/podcast/stupidest-money/

Many great lines, including this:
Barry RITHOLTZ: It’s a tax on smart people who don’t realize their propensity for doing stupid things.
While I highly dislike overly produced, cut, commercialized, and overly edited podcasts, I really enjoyed listening to this. Thanks for sharing!
Don't wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate, and wait. | Rent where you live, buy where others pay your mortgage for you.

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:59 pm

md&pharmacist wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Let me know what details. I've posted my holdings..., relative positions and shares, performance statistics...
You have not posted your performance, though many have asked. You’ve posted performance of the funds you hold, which is meaningless.

BeBH65

Post by BeBH65 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:15 pm

jacoavlu wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:59 pm
md&pharmacist wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Let me know what details. I've posted my holdings..., relative positions and shares, performance statistics...
You have not posted your performance, though many have asked. You’ve posted performance of the funds you hold, which is meaningless.
md&pharmacist,

To be able to review your personal performance we need to know when you bought each holding and at what price.
BeBH65. (only an investment enthusiast, not a financial adviser, perform your due diligence).

longinvest

Post by longinvest » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:25 pm

md&pharmacist wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:11 am
md&pharmacist wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:49 am
Chip wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:32 am
Thank you. The 0 is next to 9 on keyboard. Just rechecked, it is $194,391.03 for DXQLX.
There's an additional minor errors. According to Morningstar, the closing price of FSELX on June 14 was $12.11, multiplied by the number of units 31,216.350 I get a total of $378,030.00.
Bogleheads investment philosophy | Lifelong Portfolio: 25% each of (domestic/international)stocks/(nominal/inflation-indexed)bonds | VCN/VXC/VLB/ZRR

longinvest

Post by longinvest » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:46 pm

I've created a simple spreadsheet to keep track of total portfolio holdings from contributions, withdrawals, buy and sell transactions, distributions, and fees.
I understand that the OP will provide us with timely information in this thread to keep the "Transactions" sheet up to date.
Last edited by longinvest on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bogleheads investment philosophy | Lifelong Portfolio: 25% each of (domestic/international)stocks/(nominal/inflation-indexed)bonds | VCN/VXC/VLB/ZRR

longinvest

Post by longinvest » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Here's a screenshot of the initial contribution and buy transactions:

Last edited by longinvest on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

longinvest

Post by longinvest » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:52 pm

Here's a screenshot of portfolio holdings as of June 16, 2018 (using Friday's closing prices extracted from Morningstar).

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Investors wishing to track their own performance can download the spreadsheet from the wiki: Calculating personal returns

Questions on using the spreadsheet can be asked in the support thread: A Returns Spreadsheet for Bogleheads
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

longinvest

Post by longinvest » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:55 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:58 pm
Investors wishing to track their own performance can download the spreadsheet from the wiki: Calculating personal returns

Questions on using the spreadsheet can be asked in the support thread: A Returns Spreadsheet for Bogleheads
Thank you for the links.

The transactions and holdings spreadsheet I've illustrated above doesn't calculate personal returns. But, it will provide us with accurate information to fill a copy of the wiki's spreadsheet to calculate them.
Last edited by longinvest on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

longinvest

Post by longinvest » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:13 pm

Important note: I don't endorse, in any way, the OP's portfolio and investing philosophy. I am providing the holdings and transactions spreadsheet to help verify the OP's claims using a forward test of his investing approach.

I fully adhere to the Bogleheads investment philosophy and I'm a big fan of Taylor Larimore's simple yet highly-sophisticated Three-Fund Portfolio.