purchasing cd's

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
jtelwood

purchasing cd's

Post by jtelwood » Tue May 08, 2018 9:38 am

I am thinking about using some bond money in my traditional ira with vanguard to purchase cd's but have never done this and would like to understand the process before moving forward. Any suggestions/recommendations on the best way to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

jte

Earl Lemongrab

Re: purchasing cd's

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue May 08, 2018 12:29 pm

What kind of CDs? Do mean directly purchased ones at a bank, or brokered CDs bought on the open market at a custodian like Vanguard or TD Ameritrade?
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

jtelwood

Post by jtelwood » Wed May 09, 2018 8:08 am

The bond fund that I would use to purchase the CD's is in a tax deferred traditional IRA. I want the CD's to be in the tax deferred account . Is this possible? How would it be done?

Kennyt7

Post by Kennyt7 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:16 am

at vanguard go to investing and then view current cd rates or call them to have them walk you through the process
quite easy

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed May 09, 2018 8:32 am

Sell your bond fund shares by clicking on "Sell", then click on "Buy" after choosing your CD at Vanguard.

Have you tried to go through the motions to see how it works? You can stop by clicking on "Cancel" instead of "Confirm."

It is easier than reading the answers in this thread. :)

Good luck!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed May 09, 2018 10:55 am

jtelwood wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:08 am
The bond fund that I would use to purchase the CD's is in a tax deferred traditional IRA. I want the CD's to be in the tax deferred account . Is this possible? How would it be done?
Either kind can be purchased in an IRA. What exactly are you looking for in an investment CDs fill the bill? Brokered CDs are lot more like individual bonds than the ones you get directly from a bank. But the former are easier to buy in an IRA.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

lazyday

Post by lazyday » Wed May 09, 2018 11:12 am

Just be aware that unlike with a typical bond fund, a brokered CD selling price can be significantly lower than the buying price. It might be best to only buy brokered CDs that you intend to keep until maturity.

It's also possible to buy a CD directly from a bank or credit union by transferring part of your IRA. But it can be a pain and a slow process. Sometimes, by the time your money has transferred, the rate has been cut and you have to transfer the money back to your broker. To me, direct CDs in an IRA are only worthwhile for a much better interest rate and a large purchase.

sport

Post by sport » Wed May 09, 2018 11:41 am

This should tell you what you need to know about CDs at Vanguard.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/conten ... ontent.jsp

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed May 09, 2018 11:48 am

lazyday wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:12 am
Just be aware that unlike with a typical bond fund, a brokered CD selling price can be significantly lower than the buying price. It might be best to only buy brokered CDs that you intend to keep until maturity.
You mean brokered CDs on the secondary market. Many people on this forum think that a brokered CD is any CD bought at one's broker. Not true.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed May 09, 2018 12:13 pm

jtelwood wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:38 am
I am thinking about using some bond money in my traditional ira with vanguard to purchase cd's but have never done this and would like to understand the process before moving forward. Any suggestions/recommendations on the best way to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

jte
Find the best available bank CD rates at depositaccounts.com
Pay careful attention to early withdrawal penalties. If they are generous enough, you can have the same flexibility with a long term CD as with a short term while getting better yields.

lazyday

Post by lazyday » Wed May 09, 2018 12:19 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:48 am
You mean brokered CDs on the secondary market.
Selling on the secondary market, yes. But it still applies if you buy a new issue and later want to sell. Or course bond funds can drop in price over time, but at least you can generally sell a bond fund at about the same price someone else can buy.
Many people on this forum think that a brokered CD is any CD bought at one's broker. Not true.
Can you give a counterexample?

cjg

Post by cjg » Wed May 09, 2018 12:48 pm

protagonist wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:13 pm
Pay careful attention to early withdrawal penalties. If they are generous enough, you can have the same flexibility with a long term CD as with a short term while getting better yields.
I'd look at them but would be cautious about early withdrawal penalties since the NCUA has ruled that they can be changed.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/20 ... g-cds.html

lazyday

Post by lazyday » Thu May 10, 2018 2:57 am

livesoft wrote:
Many people on this forum think that a brokered CD is any CD bought at one's broker. Not true.
Are there CD's you can buy from a broker that are not brokered CDs?

There might be something I don't understand, please fill me in.

mggray17

Post by mggray17 » Thu May 10, 2018 4:35 am

cjg wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:48 pm
protagonist wrote:
I'd look at them but would be cautious about early withdrawal penalties since the NCUA has ruled that they can be changed.

Step 1. Look at Bankrate rates. Step 2. Look at 2 Yr New Issue Brokered at Vanguard. Step 3. Buy what you see.
Site is down for maintenance as I type, but just bought 2 YR CD at Vanguard at 2.75 APY.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:49 am

lazyday wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:57 am
livesoft wrote:
Are there CD's you can buy from a broker that are not brokered CDs?
There might be something I don't understand, please fill me in.
I do not think so..

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 am

livesoft wrote:
lazyday wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:12 am
You mean brokered CDs on the secondary market. Many people on this forum think that a brokered CD is any CD bought at one's broker. Not true.
Could you elaborate why this is "not true"?

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu May 10, 2018 10:28 am

mggray17 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:35 am
cjg wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:48 pm
protagonist wrote:

Step 1. Look at Bankrate rates. Step 2. Look at 2 Yr New Issue Brokered at Vanguard. Step 3. Buy what you see.
Site is down for maintenance as I type, but just bought 2 YR CD at Vanguard at 2.75 APY.
Greenwood Credit Union (easy to join) currently has a 2 yr CD, 180 day EWP, at 2.8%. Very similar. Do you think that brokered CDs offer an advantage over bank CDs, and if so, why? I imagine if interest rates rise rapidly the value of a brokered CD on premature sale could decrease quite dramatically- I don't know how that would compare with breaking a bank CD and paying the EWP. I have no experience with brokered CDs.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu May 10, 2018 10:47 am

dm200 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 am
A new-issue CD purchased at any broker and held to maturity is exactly like a CD purchased at a bank and held to maturity. All the blather about "brokered CDs" just does not apply in such situations. There is no commission to buy such CDs and no commission to sell them since they are never sold by the buyer.

I suspect that most folks on this forum buying CDs at their brokers go the new issue route just as most folks buying CDs at a bank or savings institution do, but I suppose we could engineer a poll to find out.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:25 am

livesoft wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:47 am
dm200 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 am
A new-issue CD purchased at any broker and held to maturity is exactly like a CD purchased at a bank and held to maturity. All the blather about "brokered CDs" just does not apply in such situations. There is no commission to buy such CDs and no commission to sell them since they are never sold by the buyer.
I suspect that most folks on this forum buying CDs at their brokers go the new issue route just as most folks buying CDs at a bank or savings institution do, but I suppose we could engineer a poll to find out.
Not "exactly" - there are some differences.

1. The issuing bank has no knowledge of the owners of such CDs. if the bank fails, then there is (or may be) a slight delay as the FDIC coordinates owners of insured CDs - both direct issue and brokered.

2. Such CDs purchased through brokers cannot renew automatically and cannot accrue/compound interest.