VWELX or VWINX? [Vanguard Wellington or Wellesley Income]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
cegibbs

VWELX or VWINX? [Vanguard Wellington or Wellesley Income]

Post by cegibbs »

If given the choice on how to achieve a 50%/50% equity/bond portfolio which would you select: VWELX plus a bond fund of your choice or VWINX and an equity fund of your choice? I do not want to hold both VWELX and VWINX so I am trying to decide which of the aforementioned two options to use.
lack_ey

Re: VWELX or VWINX?

Post by lack_ey »

Okay, I recognize those as ticker symbols for Vanguard Wellesley Income and Vanguard Wellington, two actively managed (at low expense ratios) balanced funds, but some will not.

Given that specific constraint I would use Wellesley Income to have more flexibility in including stocks, such as including more international stocks. It's heavily focused in mega caps, especially from the US, with a bias to value and dividend payers, among other things. Where it goes outside the US, it's largely European and Canadian multinationals.
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

While no specific criticism of lack_ey's suggestion, conversely could consider Wellington and then make that extra 10% in bonds long-term bonds.

Just another perspective, am sure some here will be critical of long-term bonds which I understand.
highercall

Post by highercall »

You didn't state why those two funds however if 50/50, why not use total stock market and total bond fund?
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

It's a shame you're not willing to own both. Since both funds seem to appeal to you, and you desire a 50/50 allocation, since VWELX is a 65/35 fund, and VWINX is a 35/65 fund, it seems like a natural fit to own a split of the two which will get you to 50/50 and a mixture of the two funds that (for whatever reason) you seem to be drawn to, and will keep itself balanced around your desired allocation.

... I'm not sure why you're asking others to help you make up your mind, but if it were me, not that I would desire to use active funds, but I would choose VWELX and then add some cash and short-term bonds to get the allocation down to 50/50.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I wouldn't use either. About 40% of my portfolio is in taxable. Neither of those is appropriate there. I would hold appropriate index funds in the various containers.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I would and do hold neither. The alternate choice would be hold both, but not in taxable accounts.
jayoco

Re: VWELX or VWINX? [Vanguard Wellington or Wellesley Income]

Post by jayoco »

If you are concerned about current valuations via price to book or price to sales on the equity side I would opt for Wellington.

Wellington's price sales remains firmly under 2x. The equity holdings in the Wellesly portfolio are closing in on 2.5X price to sales.