USBank, unbeknownst to me, blocked my account [How did you fix a frozen bank account?]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Cody

USBank, unbeknownst to me, blocked my account [How did you fix a frozen bank account?]

Post by Cody » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:05 pm

Indeed! After several hours on the phone with the fraud division at USB and a visit to a local branch of USB they have now unblocked the account. It was their fault that account was frozen.

So now I have to pick up the pieces, which means work for me (lots of paper work and forms to reconnect ACH's, like to Medica and Long Term Health Care through Ameriprize. So you can see my concern - if payments are not recieved by Ameriprize on LTHC it is cancelled.

Do you think that try to do a second sweep (which Fidelity does not do - must do paper work) or will I have to resubmit paper work to reconstruct the link?

I will call various "broken links' today but many places are closed.

Has this happened to you? If so how did it work out?

Thanks,
cody

ResearchMed

Re: USBank, unbeknownst to me, blocked my account [How did you fix a frozen bank account?]

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:12 pm

Cody wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:05 pm
Indeed! After several hours on the phone with the fraud division at USB and a visit to a local branch of USB they have now unblocked the account. It was their fault that account was frozen.

So now I have to pick up the pieces, which means work for me (lots of paper work and forms to reconnect ACH's, like to Medica and Long Term Health Care through Ameriprize. So you can see my concern - if payments are not recieved by Ameriprize on LTHC it is cancelled.

Do you think that try to do a second sweep (which Fidelity does not do - must do paper work) or will I have to resubmit paper work to reconstruct the link?

I will call various "broken links' today but many places are closed.

Has this happened to you? If so how did it work out?

Thanks,
cody
Are you sure you need to "re-do" all of this?

If the account was "frozen" and is now "unfrozen", is it possible that "all is now as it was before"?
Check on that with the offending bank first, and see what does/does not "remain" from before.

Are you near dates where payments would have been made and thus possibly blocked?
If so, then first check IF that actually happened; what was paid, what still needs to be paid.

And if it really was "the bank's fault", then I'd expect them to pay any late fees, etc.
But the first thing is to make sure that your payments are all received in a timely manner, especially any where there are serious consequences...
(If you need to FedEx payments, then do that asap. First get those critical payments made. Then... go after the bank for reimbursement for such expenses.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Cody

Re: USBank, unbeknownst to me, blocked my account [How did you fix a frozen bank account?]

Post by Cody » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:50 am

You are right. Some payments via ACH had been paid this month already and they are fine (even for next months payment).

But there were 3 ACH (at Capital One) that were missed but I can simply "manually" do those 3.

Medica is doing it manually after a call to them this morning. And and next months auto ACH is going to be fine. They only have a 60 day window before the account is closed.

Fidelety requires a letter (on a form of theirs) to reestablish the ACH function (including voided bank check(.

Ameriprise (long term health care) is going to do it manually (they only have a 31 day window before the account is closed).

There went 5 hours of my life to reestablish all of those above. But I think it is fine.

Just an aside. It appears that if a company did not try to access my blocked account or if the payment had already come out this month nothing will change and nothing needs to be done by me.

It does however make me feel vulnerable internet banking and the ACH thing.

Lesson learned: always check bank account withdrawals and look carefully at mail.

Cody