Wash Sale Question

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
lostdog

Wash Sale Question

Post by lostdog » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:20 pm

I sold some shares in my brokerage account to fund our emergency fund. I took a small loss on the sale. My wife does a bi-weekly contribution to her Roth account. The contribution is to the same fund that I sold in the brokerage account. We're married and file jointly. Will this be a wash sale when her auto contribution fills within the 30 days of the brokerage account sale?

Artsdoctor

Re: Wash Sale Question

Post by Artsdoctor » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:23 pm

Yes, it would be considered a wash sale:

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/r ... e-rule.asp

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Artsdoctor wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:23 pm
Yes, it would be considered a wash sale:

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/r ... e-rule.asp

Bummer. I'll have to redirect it to the sweep account within the roth for the time being.

Thanks
Last edited by lostdog on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johan851

Post by johan851 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Unfortunately, yes. I had a similar situation when filing my 2016 return.

Since the repurchased shares were in a tax-advantaged account, this is a little less complex because you don't have to re-adjust the cost basis of those shares. But that also means that don't get the advantage of adjusted cost basis in the future. The shares you sold at a loss in taxable are simply cancelled out by the shares purchased in the Roth IRA.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:34 pm

johan851 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:31 pm
Unfortunately, yes. I had a similar situation when filing my 2016 return.

Since the repurchased shares were in a tax-advantaged account, this is a little less complex because you don't have to re-adjust the cost basis of those shares. But that also means that don't get the advantage of adjusted cost basis in the future. The shares you sold at a loss in taxable are simply cancelled out by the shares purchased in the Roth IRA.
Makes sense. In the future I'll have to be more mindful of this. Thanks.

johan851

Post by johan851 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:43 pm

A couple of easy things - if you have substantially identical holdings in taxable and tax-advantages, you may want to set dividends to not automatically re-invest. That's a good way to have a purchase surprise you in the wash sale window. I set that on all holdings because it lets me use dividends to rebalance a little bit.

If you can hold non-substantially-identical funds in tax advantages and taxable, that gives you some extra flexibility. If you have completion funds available in tax-advantaged space that can work well - for example, holding a 500 index in taxable (generally pretty tax efficient) and a small/mid completion index in an IRA.