recommendations on fee based who create plans?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Peppergrass

recommendations on fee based who create plans?

Post by Peppergrass » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:31 am

Hi guys,

I believe I am one of those one in a thousand who can self manage.. went though 2008 without blinking or losing any sleep..

I know some people mention daretobedull.. wondering if there is any others, as I would like to get a general consensus from what I would like, is three opinions.

Thanks!

bloom2708

Re: recommendations on fee based who create plans?

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:32 am

Bogleheads.

$0 fee. Inexpensive not cheap.

Ask your question in this format:

viewtopic.php?t=6212

If you understand the 3 fund portfolio (Total US, Total International, Total US Bond) and why it works, then you can expand out (if you must) to tilts like small cap value and REIT funds. Investing does not have to be complicated, expensive or stressful.

Welcome!
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:31 pm

Allan Roth from WealthLogic daretobedull.com is respected on this forum as his philosophy solidly lines up with the Boglehead investing philosophy. He would be excellent. Garrett Network has affiliated CFP’s around the nation that you can work with in-person or over the phone. You would just want to interview them to make certain they only charge by the hour and have no products to offer (very likely true for a large portion of them).

Before you spend a dime I would suggest posting in the format noted by bloom2708 and see what insight you can get from this band of believers. Take a few minutes to click on Start Here and familiarize yourself with our philosophy and the vast treasure of resources avaIlable here. You can always pay for advice later if you still have the need.

Cheers

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:10 pm

You might consider a service offered by a long time and reliable member who posts here under the name tfb (thefinancebuff). He will not be your advisor, but will find and research and recommend 3 advisors for you for a fee.

https://adviceonlyfinancial.com/how-to- ... paign=menu

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:13 pm

Peppergrass wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:31 am
Hi guys,

I believe I am one of those one in a thousand who can self manage.. went though 2008 without blinking or losing any sleep..

I know some people mention daretobedull.. wondering if there is any others, as I would like to get a general consensus from what I would like, is three opinions.

Thanks!
Not sure why you are looking for an advisor if you can self-manage. As for opinions, post in the recommended format and you will get good suggestions/opinions.

Explore the Wiki articles:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... art-up_kit

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

Topic Author
Peppergrass

Post by Peppergrass » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:27 am

thanks guys for the suggestions..

when I posted my first, it got deleted, in part to a cuss word, and second they seemed to say I had too much money and then suggested I need to find professional help???

I'm not looking for an advisor.. I don't know the word then, looking for someone to help me build a portfolio, I can manage myself for sure once I'm on my own.. I just want to make sure I am semi logical in my setup..

I want to run 70% bond / 15% total US / 15% international but haven't decided on developed or developed/emerging. and this is odd as I'm 34, but my plan is to run a modified market timing strategy as below..

I believe I know exactly what I want, I haven't kinked out the details, but my problem was running into low bond yields and inflation.. I wanted to use all dividends but then I guess that kills the performance of the portfolio at 30% stock, as I don't know another work around being bonds are in the toilet.. and I guess call me a market timer, but no way would I put in a huge amount of stock right now with this many years of a bull run.. I guess I just failed all the books advice turning me into market timing.. one book Im in the middle of is value averaging though..so

I have read a fair amount of books now, from Bernstein to Mallouk to Malkiel and couple others.. I totally think Bernstein funny enough is the best book I read as it was so researched and felt more authentic and serious and straight with numbers, along with a little more information then the vague outlines from others..although bogle is pretty detailed.. I guess I just liked Bernstein being he was never in the financial world and I find someone who comes into something to sometimes end out better then the "pro's"

I will fill out that form and get back to you.. my problem is I want to run a 70 bond / 30 stock portfolio right now till drop, then stagger the bonds out to stock.. I have not come up with a system when to sell the stock back off and what percentage but to me people are always wanting to find the top or bottom.. I say why not go for the gooey middle of a bear market, you are assured what percentages you get in at, or at least some, and you are thus never trying to find absolute bottom nor top, everyone wants to work from the top down, I say work from the bottom up, right? I'll call this opportunistic re-balancing as maybe we call it market timing?? I don't know.. to me it makes sense if we believe market will go up always then sell everything that isn't stock into a bear and recoup a lot better, this is for the fact that the dividends will be higher then bond usually, second is as I said if you believe the market will go on then you are guaranteed a higher return then bond or equivalent and waiting as I said would yield most likely higher then bonds if the market drops from where you buy in while you wait for recovery.. this seems guaranteed as it gets to me.. I am not a mathematician but I do believe an all stock hold will return higher over the years, this is just a sure fire way of known outcomes that you want to live with and are acceptable. as follows :

25% drop - sell 25% bond
30% drop - sell 10 % bond
35% drop - sell 15% bond
40% drop - sell 10% bond
45% drop - sell 15% bond
50% drop - sell 10% bond
55% drop - sell 15% bond

this of course needs to be tweaked as you will most likely never get full bond portfolio sold off.. it's just a back of napkin for now idea...

any comments please bring them.. I'm lost at this point as what to do as I am younger ( 34 ) but I have an autistic kid to take care of and that makes me feel less risk then I ever have.. I have his own money set aside but obviously I want him to inherit what I have

THANKS GUYS.. get back on that form when I have a second , nice crowd here

Topic Author
Peppergrass

Post by Peppergrass » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:41 am

ok here we go:

amount: 30 million ( just inherited , giving the kid my 5 mil I had )
Emergency funds: nope
Debt: 350k on house mortgage
Tax Filing Status: single / shared account with Ex we split investments for filing purpose she pays 50% I pay 50%
Tax Rate: ??% Federal, ??% State
State of Residence: WA
Desired Asset allocation: 30% stocks / 70% bonds
Desired International allocation: 15%

current retirement assets: none, don't "work" so have no IRA / Roth

my main question at this time is bonds.. they are yielding low, rates are rising.. what are we to do as these do not match Bernstein's numbers in his book, as he even states that in the back.. I would like to juice up the bond yield so I getting more then a short term bond fund... this is where I'm confused as I know nothing on bonds really.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:03 am

You need an estate plan.
Low yields on 5MM of bonds is your biggest concern to write down?

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:06 am

retiredjg wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:10 pm
You might consider a service offered by a long time and reliable member who posts here under the name tfb (thefinancebuff). He will not be your advisor, but will find and research and recommend 3 advisors for you for a fee.

https://adviceonlyfinancial.com/how-to- ... paign=menu
Did you check this out? It is a way to find exactly the kind of advisor you are looking for - advice only, for a fee.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:18 am

In what form is the $30 million right now? What about when you inherited it?

If the money is already invested, it does not make sense to take it out of the market and put it in cash.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:56 am

Just FYI,

One thing to watch out for is that "fee only" and "fee based" are different. "Fee based" means that they charge you a fee but they can also accept commissions for selling you less than ideal investments. "Fee only" is obviously better.
Peppergrass wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:41 am
Debt: 350k on house mortgage
Paying that off is an easy decision.
Peppergrass wrote:
my main question at this time is bonds.. they are yielding low, rates are rising.. what are we to do as these do not match Bernstein's numbers in his book, as he even states that in the back.. I would like to juice up the bond yield so I getting more then a short term bond fund... this is where I'm confused as I know nothing on bonds really.
I know little about him other having read a few of his books and that he has occasionally posted here but he does run an investment management company for high net worth people. As with dealing with any investment advisor you would need to be careful but one option would to be just contact him to see what he would suggest and to see if they do the plans like you want.

http://www.efficientfrontier.com/efa.htm

Disclaimer: A few years ago he was looking for people to critique a draft of his "Deep Risk" book and I was able to read the book and I had a little bit of email correspondence with him about the book.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:20 am

Peppergrass wrote:

On this question the answer is that you can't own what doesn't exist. Or, stated differently, you can't affect the experience of history that you are being handed. If you want to know more about bonds yourself the reading and study is certainly there to be had.

How you can approach the problem is to evaluate how much risk you need to take to get return sufficient to meet your objectives and then decide if you are able and willing to take that risk.

I agree an advisor could be very helpful to you. I apologize that I do not have a recommendation I could make other than what advice might be offered here. Certainly advisors useful to you exist. You would have to pay them, of course. I think those on this forum who know someone that might be recommended should certainly feel free to step forward with a suggestion. The question is difficult because almost all the people who might at first appear to be responsible advisors are in fact salesmen who are interested in enriching themselves at your expense, unfortunately.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:12 am

With $30 million, virtually any asset allocation will work as long as you don't start spending $1,000,000 or more per year.

If you spend some time here and read various threads, you will start to see key elements to pick up. It won't happen overnight. An advisor won't give you those insights.

It is a chicken and egg scenario. If you learn enough to question whatever strategy a potential advisor puts in front of you, then you do not need the advisor. A 1-2% fee paid to an advisor will result is massive fees paid over the next 20/30/40 years. Really astronomical amounts.

Run some scenarios with this tool. Use 3 different fee rates with your numbers. You can't put more than $10,000,000 into the calculator. Just multiply the savings x 3.

http://www.dinkytown.net/java/CompareFees.html

An annual expense ratio of .07% (my portfolio at Vanguard) saves you $6,800,000 over 20 years as compared to a 2% fee. $20 million+ over 20 years. Wowza.

With the amount you have, a less complicated strategy will work perfectly. Your choice of asset alloction (mix of stocks and bonds) will still be important.

I'm going to assume that this money is a mix of tax-sheltered and taxable. If it is all taxable (tax already paid), then that simplifies things.

On bonds. Bonds are for safety. They give you some return with some movement of price. Stay intermediate term in this rising interest rate environment.

Take risk by having more stocks. 50/50 would be a great place to start thinking. Want more risk, move to 60/40. Don't try to squeeze more return out of the bond side by going Long Term or moving to junk bonds/lower quality.

Total US Stocks
Total International Stocks
Int Bond/Int Treasuries/Int Tax-Exempt Bonds (Can't give you great advice here as we don't know what the $30 million is in)

It doesn't have to be more complicated than this. Yes, you can season with Small cap value, REIT, but with $30 million, you don't have to reach for any extra return.

Most here would love to "see how it goes" using a 50/50 3 fund portfolio with $30 million. Try to "get by". :wink: :shock:

Good luck and happy reading. Don't commit to any advisor or strategy for 6 months while you learn.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

BL

Post by BL » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:56 am

Tax Filing Status: single / shared account with Ex we split investments for filing purpose she pays 50% I pay 50%
Wow! How safe is that?

Long term bonds might make sense since you won't need it all in the short term. Yes, they will go down as rates increase.

Muni (maybe some in your state) bonds should help with taxes.

I like the advice above about paying to get 3 possibilities for financial fee only advisers. That sounds much more reliable than using the Yellow Pages or a friend's recommendation. Getting other financial advice sounds important as well.

Topic Author
Peppergrass

Post by Peppergrass » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:55 pm

overwhelming gratitude guys.. thank you

not sure I can hit all the points... I did see that guy that finds fee based, I am going to contact him Sunday night.. the Ex, we live together, we just aren't married anymore, we raise the kid together and have a great relationship... deep risk, sounds interesting and that sounds like a 100% stock portfolio, haha. I wrote them and see if they can just create a plan or if I have to invest my money with them, thanks for all the suggestions guys

I totally am going for a lazy portfolio for sure, some total international / total US / bonds... as I stated my concern is what bond and when.. my best guess is short term treasuries right now with raising rates and "safety".

once again the other problem is beating inflation, if I do have a low allocation to stock, and I take all dividend.. whats that about 570k in dividend, then after tax that's about 450k a year to live on.. to be quite honest I spend that much currently. so my lifestyle isn't getting upgraded the least, I was just spending too much earlier.

money is coming in as we speak, it's in US dollar tax free... no invested at all, I was just going to dump it all into short term treasuries till I am confident on my play.. once again I don't like this long market we've been in so I would be market timing to say the least not wanting to dump 15 million then say it drop to 7 million.. It just doesn't sound fun, when you go, should have bought the Laferrari then... haha

I want to beat inflation as when I die, and if I have more kids.. this neighborhood I'm in with 2-10 million dollar houses are going to be 30+ when I die.. I can't leave my kids "broke" and tell them, "sorry guy's, I didn't plan and just spent the money.. " I'm sure I can do better then that.. I just have an expensive lifestyle as we travel with the kid and live in good neighborhoods so... I don't see myself even saying I could live on half of the dividends.. dream goal it to get it to 200 million and have 2 kids.. 100 each, on top of the 5 I have set aside right now.. that would make me super happy, I just can't see in the crystal ball eating the dividends, I just can't..

this is why I was saying above about outlying a strategy to market time bear markets, to at least say, ok I got 50% of the bond money in durning a down period ( say 10 million ), then say you sell back at 50% gain, that's a 5 million bet that to me I can live with. it's also obviously nice if the markets returns 100% gain before a drop with half in stock that's 15 million... see the problem is we can go on and on about what if scenarios and how it could maybe turn to 200 million.. I just want an easy layout to beat inflation, get about half a million to spend a year and then set and forget...

Topic Author
Peppergrass

Post by Peppergrass » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:26 pm

I think I stumped some people, but wanted to shout out to who recommended Harry, who finds the fee based advisors to setup plans..

He gave me some good recommendations and was well worth the minuscule amount he charges.. anyone who wants some help from someone else, I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to just pay him and he will find you three sources.