VT or VTI for Roth

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
ACJC

VT or VTI for Roth

Post by ACJC »

I’m transferring an old Roth over to Vanguard and do not have 3000.00. I am considering VT or VTI. Which one would be better? I am hoping to max out my contributions for years to come :). I am 38.

Thank you :)
DSInvestor

Re: VT or VTI for Roth

Post by DSInvestor »

If you have $1000 or more, consider a Vanguard Target Retirement fund which has a $1000 minimum initial investment.
Wiki
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

DSInvestor wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:41 am If you have $1000 or more, consider a Vanguard Target Retirement fund which has a $1000 minimum initial investment.
Yes.

In the absence of following this advice, I would prefer VT to VTI for diversification reasons.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

only issue w/ buying ETFs versus funds is- you'll have a little uninvested cash left over.

Example- if you are contributing $200 and want to buy VTI at a NAV of $140, that will buy "1" share and you'll have $60 in your Roth doing nothing as its not enough to buy another full share. :(

Guessing many don't care, but worth noting. Good luck.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.