What to do with a Roth IRA?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
Scuttlebutt
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:06 am

What to do with a Roth IRA?

Post by Scuttlebutt » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:49 am

I'm a touch unhappy with the person holding my Roth IRA so I need to move it. It's only about $26k. I'm tempted to just drop it in a target date fund at vanguard and forget it for the next 20 years. My current employer has our 401k over there so I already am set up with an account there. Any better suggestions for a small amount?
Age: 47
No debt
Way more than 6 months living expenses in a money market. It's a house down payment hopefully soon. Then I need to do something with what's left.
No spouse, no dependants other than chickens, dogs, and a handicapped Turkey. :happy

User avatar
FiveK
Posts: 5857
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Re: What to do with a Roth IRA?

Post by FiveK » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:24 pm

Scuttlebutt wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:49 am
I'm tempted to just drop it in a target date fund at vanguard and forget it for the next 20 years.
You might do better, but many other strategies would be worse. Good luck!

User avatar
flamesabers
Posts: 1757
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm
Location: Rochester, MN

Re: What to do with a Roth IRA?

Post by flamesabers » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:26 pm

That sounds like a reasonable idea for handling your Roth IRA.

retiredjg
Posts: 34420
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: What to do with a Roth IRA?

Post by retiredjg » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:27 pm

A target fund in a Roth IRA at Vanguard should be fine. But you could, if the vet bills are not too expensive, consider adding to it every once in awhile.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 14630
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: What to do with a Roth IRA?

Post by Watty » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:28 pm

FiveK wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:24 pm
Scuttlebutt wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:49 am
I'm tempted to just drop it in a target date fund at vanguard and forget it for the next 20 years.
You might do better, but many other strategies would be worse. Good luck!
+1

You can Call Vanguard and they will walk you through the process.

User avatar
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board
Posts: 27639
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:09 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: What to do with a Roth IRA?

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:36 pm

Scuttlebutt wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:49 am
I'm a touch unhappy with the person holding my Roth IRA so I need to move it. It's only about $26k. I'm tempted to just drop it in a target date fund at vanguard and forget it for the next 20 years. My current employer has our 401k over there so I already am set up with an account there. Any better suggestions for a small amount?
Age: 47
No debt
Way more than 6 months living expenses in a money market. It's a house down payment hopefully soon. Then I need to do something with what's left.
No spouse, no dependants other than chickens, dogs, and a handicapped Turkey. :happy
Scuttlebuttt:

Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum!

I agree with the others. The appropriate Vanguard Target Fund in a Roth IRA is a superior investment if this is your only investment. If you have both tax-advantaged and taxable accounts consider The Three-Fund Portfolio for maximum tax-efficiency.

Reminder: April 17, 2018 is the deadline for your 2017 IRA contribution.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 3564
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: What to do with a Roth IRA?

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:36 pm
Reminder: July 17, 2018 is the deadline for your 2017 IRA contribution.
Taylor,

I had thought that the deadline for a 2017 IRA contribution was tax filing day (April 17). Am I mistaken on that?
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

PFInterest
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: What to do with a Roth IRA?

Post by PFInterest » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:58 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:55 pm
Taylor Larimore wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:36 pm
Reminder: July 17, 2018 is the deadline for your 2017 IRA contribution.
Taylor,

I had thought that the deadline for a 2017 IRA contribution was tax filing day (April 17). Am I mistaken on that?
I think it's a misstype.

TwstdSista
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:03 am

Re: What to do with a Roth IRA?

Post by TwstdSista » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:59 pm

That sounds like a fantastic plan! If you're looking for votes, then I vote "yes!"

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 3564
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: What to do with a Roth IRA?

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:06 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:58 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:55 pm
Taylor Larimore wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:36 pm
Reminder: July 17, 2018 is the deadline for your 2017 IRA contribution.
Taylor,

I had thought that the deadline for a 2017 IRA contribution was tax filing day (April 17). Am I mistaken on that?
I think it's a misstype.
Well, I certainly thought it could be, but I'm the first to admit that I've been wrong before.
:?
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Scuttlebutt
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:06 am

Re: What to do with a Roth IRA?

Post by Scuttlebutt » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm

I've already talked with vanguard. No other investments. Already put in my $5500 back in January and can hopefully put in more next year. Basically just wondering if there was something better. Thanks. Oh and I was here years ago but don't remember my login so I started a new one.

User avatar
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board
Posts: 27639
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:09 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: What to do with a Roth IRA?

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:16 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:55 pm
Taylor Larimore wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:36 pm
Reminder: July 17, 2018 is the deadline for your 2017 IRA contribution.
Taylor,

I had thought that the deadline for a 2017 IRA contribution was tax filing day (April 17). Am I mistaken on that?
oldcomputerguy:

You are not "mistaken on that."

Thank you very much for catching my mistake.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Post Reply