Tax Loss Harvesting Question

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
sonosoldi3112

Tax Loss Harvesting Question

Post by sonosoldi3112 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:13 pm

Hello all

Could I ask a question about Tax Loss Harvesting as I am new to this .

I think I am correct in thinking it is a year round endeavor if one has the "loss" to harvest.

1. What I was wondering is do people in general wait for a particular loss amount to accumulate before the harvest begins ie is it $200 or $1000 or $3000 or is there no particular figure as such and up to each person.

2. Does TLH only apply to the "Accumulation Phase" ? ie if I am now in retirement with 1 million in Total Stock Market fund and some in Bonds .... would you sell the 1 million $ ( just seems drastic to me) ?/ or is TLH not appropriate once the Game is Won.

3. Would you think Vanguard VWINX Wellesley is "substantially identical" to Wellington VWELX ie same as ...... same stocks ect just different proportions .. or is the different allocation enough to make them not "identical?

Than you so much everyone.

ps my loss at moment is $750 and just wondering if that is enough to TLH

mhc

Re: Tax Loss Harvesting Question

Post by mhc » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:43 pm

1. yes. I do not TLH small amounts. It has to be large enough to be worth my effort. Some say TLH everything you can at the end of the year regardless of amount.

2. no. If you are in a low enough tax bracket you don't TLH. You TGH instead. (tax gain harvest)

3. no. They are different.