Opinions on REET for global REIT fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
ChinchillaWhiplash

Opinions on REET for global REIT fund

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:31 am

Has anyone looked at REET (iShares Global REIT ETF)? Expense ratio = 0.14 and yield = 4.1%. Looks like a good Fund if you want world coverage in REITs. Doesn't have much volume though. Thoughts?

oldcomputerguy

Re: Opinions on REET for global REIT fund

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:49 am

I don't see anything wrong with REET, but if you're looking for an option with more volume and higher net assets, you might look at RWO (SPDR DJ Wilshire Global Real Estate). It is more expensive (0.5% versus 0.14%), but has had higher trading volume (66.8k versus 32k for REET) and has more assets held ($2.6B versus $878M held by REET). Given the choice, though, I'd go with REET, just for the lower ER.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

iceport

Post by iceport » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:29 am

I became aware of REET at about this point in an interesting discussion last year. There was much information offered there.

I stuck with my 50/50 allocation to Vanguard's US and international offerings, VNQ/VNQI, though I found REET intriguing.

FWIW, valuations are much higher in REET than they are in a composite of VNQ/VNQI. Price/cash flow, per M*:

REET: 13.11
VNQ: 13.29
VNQI: 6.76
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:42 am

Here are some previous discussions that you might be interested in.

https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... org&q=reet

I am always hesitant to invest in anything that is illiquid.

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:44 am

Thanks for the info. Think I will go with REET. Have to pay trade commission on either VG funds or REET. Better to pay one fee instead of 2 I guess. Only trade free option is SCHH with Schwab in ETFs. Won't be making frequent purchases. Large sum once a year kind of thing.