Are Deposits in Credit Unions "Safe"?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Megamill

Are Deposits in Credit Unions "Safe"?

Post by Megamill » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Anybody here have CD's or savings accounts with a credit union? I've never had an account with a CU and always thought they were kind of odd but what do I know? There is a local one that is advertising CD specials: 19 mo @ 2.10 apy, 25 mo @ 2.25 apy. DH and I are old school, so probably won't ever consider an online bank for higher yield so looking for alternatives.

thoughts?

Hyperborea

Re: Are Deposits in Credit Unions "Safe"?

Post by Hyperborea » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Credit unions in general have the same level of insurance as a bank. NCUA member credit unions (almost/all? of them) are covered at the same level as FDIC for banks and backed the same by the US government.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray

chevca

Post by chevca » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Yes, look up NCUA.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:23 pm

Yes, there is federal NCUA insurance (the parallel of FIDC for banks).
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Topic Author
Megamill

Post by Megamill » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:26 pm

thank you for the quick responses. I will check into the NCUA insurance.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:26 pm

Hyperborea wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:22 pm
Credit unions in general have the same level of insurance as a bank. NCUA member credit unions (almost/all? of them) are covered at the same level as FDIC for banks and backed the same by the US government.
Yes -

Look for the "Insured by NCUA" notice at the credit union or web site. THEN, independently go to www.ncua.gov and look up the credit union to make sure it is "federally insured by NCUA". Anybody can put up a sign.
If the credit union is privately insured - not by NCUA - then make your own decision. For the small number of privately insured credit unions, your money is generally safe - BUT not the federal guarantee.

Topic Author
Megamill

Post by Megamill » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:28 pm

wow! good to know. thank you.