Roth IRA w/ Schwab

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Mattwillgold1

Roth IRA w/ Schwab

Post by Mattwillgold1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:05 pm

I recently rolled my Roth IRA from Edward Jones to Charles Schwab thanks to the wisdom i've gleaned from this forum. I sold my American Funds and, as of now, have put my money into SWYJX / Schwab Target 2055 Index Fund with an ER of 0.08. I'm 27 and want to be fairly aggressive with this account given my age. Just wanted to hear if this is where you would recommend I leave my money or something else?

Dominic

Re: Roth IRA w/ Schwab

Post by Dominic » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:28 pm

If you want a set it and forget it solution, Schwab's Target Retirement series is as good as any. It has excellent diversification and very low expenses. It's very aggressive, with over 90% of its holdings in stocks for the first few years of its glide path.

If you really wanted, you could build a portfolio out of Schwab's individual index funds, but you'd be getting essentially the same portfolio, and you'd have to do the rebalancing on your own.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 am

Congratulations on escaping from Edward Jones :D

Mattwillgold1 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:05 pm
I recently rolled my Roth IRA from Edward Jones to Charles Schwab thanks to the wisdom i've gleaned from this forum. I sold my American Funds and, as of now, have put my money into SWYJX / Schwab Target 2055 Index Fund with an ER of 0.08. I'm 27 and want to be fairly aggressive with this account given my age. Just wanted to hear if this is where you would recommend I leave my money or something else?
Schwab Target 2055 Index Fund (SWYJX) ER 0.08% is simple, very aggressive, well diversified, and has a low expense ratio. You could just leave that as is.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

rts58

Post by rts58 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:21 am

Another alternative you may want to consider is the Schwab intelligent portfolio:
https://intelligent.schwab.com/public/i ... /home.html?
https://www.barrons.com/articles/as-rob ... 1517509393