Properly calculating "work mileage"

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
cals400ex

Properly calculating "work mileage"

Post by cals400ex » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:51 am

I'm a little confused how I should calculate my work mileage. I am an employee. The employer has me take a bank deposit each night to the bank. I am not compensated in any fashion for this. I realize that I can't deduct mileage to and from work.

If I go straight from work to home without going to the bank, it is 8 miles. If I go from work to the bank it is 6 miles. From the bank to home, it is 4 miles.

Do I deduct all mileage driven from work to the bank....6 miles? Or, do I deduct the difference of (the total miles driven) - (my normal commute without going to the bank)....10-8=2 miles?

Chip

Re: Properly calculating "work mileage"

Post by Chip » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:55 pm

You deduct the six miles from work to the bank. See IRS Pub 17 for a good diagram for determining mileage deductibility. I guess, technically, business mileage.

pshonore

Re: Properly calculating "work mileage"

Post by pshonore » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:36 pm

I presume you're claiming that as an Misc/Unreimbursed Employee Business expense (subject to 2% of AGI floor) on Sched A since you're an employee. Unfortunately that deduction was eliminated in the new tax bill effective 1/1/18