<gulp> Expensive mistake

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Kristen

<gulp> Expensive mistake

Post by Kristen » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 pm

About 10 months ago I took some really great recommendations from this board and simplified and reallocated my retirement savings. I got my 2017 TSP statement in the mail this weekend and kept trying to figure out if their printer colors were off or something because it showed a huge chunk of change in the F fund, which I have never used. Did a little digging and apparently last year I allocated 60% of my tsp account balance to the F fund instead of the C fund. I guess I just typed it into the wrong box on the transfer page... 10 months ago. I am absolutely sick and unsure how to proceed. Honestly, I want to wait for the bottom to fall out. But that's timing the market and I don't do that. DO I????

To hell with the trees, I'm turning quarterly statements back on...

mega317

Re: <gulp> Expensive mistake

Post by mega317 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:50 pm

Kristen wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 pm
Honestly, I want to wait for the bottom to fall out. But that's timing the market and I don't do that. DO I????
This is the easiest market timing thread ever.

No.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:53 pm

I should add I am very sorry this happened. But don't let one expensive mistake possibly create a more expensive one.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:55 pm

Your AA is your AA. Put in the change tomorrow.

sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:56 pm

Well, a little bit of a bummer, but at least you weren't the guy or gal in Hawaii who sent the false nuclear attack warning message a month ago and got fired! :D

I personally would just make the switch and be done with it. You could dollar cost average if it makes you feel better, but there isn't any guarantee that dollar cost averaging will be a better strategy (it's market dependent).

There are a lot of opinions about whether or not the market is overvalued, or overvalued by how much. Morningstar calculates the US market as 2% overvalued as of today, so I wouldn't worry too much about putting a big chunk of change in the market at that valuation. Scroll down to 'Valuation.' http://www.morningstar.com/markets.html
Powered by chocolate!

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:02 pm

Kristen wrote:
About 10 months ago I took some really great recommendations from this board and simplified and reallocated my retirement savings. I got my 2017 TSP statement in the mail this weekend and kept trying to figure out if their printer colors were off or something because it showed a huge chunk of change in the F fund, which I have never used. Did a little digging and apparently last year I allocated 60% of my tsp account balance to the F fund instead of the C fund. I guess I just typed it into the wrong box on the transfer page... 10 months ago. I am absolutely sick and unsure how to proceed. Honestly, I want to wait for the bottom to fall out. But that's timing the market and I don't do that. DO I????

That's a learning experience for you.

Cb442

Post by Cb442 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:52 am

What is the TSP and F fund?

Savio

Post by Savio » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:57 am

You should track all of your accounts on Personal Capital. You should know what 100% of your money is doing and where it is.

PC makes that SUPER easy. No point in waiting for quarterly statements.

Don't let something like this happen again. Take control of your own money and be its master.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:28 am

Cb442 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:52 am
Non-intuitive acronyms are ubiquitous on this forum.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:32 am

Savio wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:57 am
You should track all of your accounts on Personal Capital. You should know what 100% of your money is doing and where it is.

PC makes that SUPER easy. No point in waiting for quarterly statements.

Don't let something like this happen again. Take control of your own money and be its master.
Except the use of financial aggregators like Personal Capital requires that you provide them with your logon credentials to your various financial accounts. Some banks/brokerages fraud protection policies prohibit that (at least if you want protection against fraudulent withdrawals).
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:43 am

Cb442 wrote:
Since nobody else has responded...

https://www.tsp.gov/InvestmentFunds/Fun ... atrix.html

C Fund is large-cap and mid-cap stock. F fund is aggregate bonds. So apparently the OP's current AA is 40/60 when she meant to do 60/40.

To the OP: Correcting this will mean moving 20% of your total from bonds to stock. Not what I would call an "optimal" rebalance, but it is in fact an adjustment of your holdings to fit your desired AA, and it is not a total disaster. You didn't mention what your investing timeframe is, but given time, this will work out. Fix the mistake, and stay the course.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:12 am

Kristen wrote:

I guess I just typed it into the wrong box on the transfer page... 10 months ago.
I would check investment accounts more frequently, once a month perhaps. The recommendation you sometimes see on the forum, "not to peek", is really terrible, awful advice. Mistakes happen, sometimes mistakes you are responsible for fixing and sometimes mistakes others are responsible for fixing. Obviously some mistakes are time sensitive.

In the big picture of your investment life, this will eventually seem like a small mistake, so I would not get worked up about it. Just move to your desired AA, and be more vigilant about checking statements in the future.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?

nick2302

Post by nick2302 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:24 am

Think twice about using something like Mint or Personal Capital or any site that gathers all your account information. That is a disaster waiting to happen if they get hacked and you are the victim. If your fund as an online access where you can check your balance sign up for that and check once a month. That way a mistake can be caught earlier than a quarterly statement. Most investment houses have online capabilities and is the best way to go in my opinion.

All is not lost for you 40/60 would be fine i you were about to be retired. But if you have years to go this will be a blip on the radar in a few years.

Best of luck.

grettman

Post by grettman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:31 am

saltycaper wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:12 am
Kristen wrote:

I guess I just typed it into the wrong box on the transfer page... 10 months ago.
I would check investment accounts more frequently, once a month perhaps. The recommendation you sometimes see on the forum, "not to peek", is really terrible, awful advice. Mistakes happen, sometimes mistakes you are responsible for fixing and sometimes mistakes others are responsible for fixing. Obviously some mistakes are time sensitive.

In the big picture of your investment life, this will eventually seem like a small mistake, so I would not get worked up about it. Just move to your desired AA, and be more vigilant about checking statements in the future.
Agreed. Mistakes and ID theft and other wacky things can go on that you need to be aware of. If people have to do a "no peeking" strategy to prevent themselves from doing bad things, maybe something else should be addressed first (AA is too aggressive perhaps).

To the OP: While it sucks that you were in F instead of C, just make the change now. Waiting is a big mistake.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:33 am

Cb442 wrote:
TSP= Thrift Savings Plan (gov't equivalent of a 401k).

Fund F is a bond fund
Fund C is an S&P 500 fund

OP was mostly out of the market during the run up in the last 10 months.

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:36 am

samsoes wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:28 am
Cb442 wrote:
While that's often true, I don't think this is a good example. TSP and F fund are only slightly less commonly known than 401k and TBM, which I think are fair game.

While I can't run the exact numbers on my phone right now (or get Morningstar to accept a custom date...) comparing charts of Vanguard 500 to TBM you missed out on maybe $2k per $10k you misallocated. Feels substantial now, but it's actually a fairly inexpensive mistake in the long run. Live learn and move on. Fix your mistake immediately and completely by reallocating your current funds to your desired AA and fix your new contribution allocations. Then don't worry about the market.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:16 am

blaugranamd wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:36 am
samsoes wrote:
Cb442 wrote:
While that's often true, I don't think this is a good example. TSP and F fund are only slightly less commonly known than 401k and TBM, which I think are fair game.
I'm sorry, what's TBM mean? Google suggests Technogy Business Management, Turboprop Aircraft Manufacturer (model TBM 930), Tunnel Boring Machine, among others.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 am

saltycaper wrote:
Kristen wrote:

Second this approach. There are mistakes that you became me stuck with if you don’t report in a certain time period.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 am

Leemiller wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 am
saltycaper wrote:
Kristen wrote:

Second this approach. There are mistakes that you become stuck with if you don’t report in a certain time period.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:41 am

blaugranamd wrote:
samsoes wrote:
Cb442 wrote:
Blaugranamd, you have been a member since 2012, so I don't believe you are in a position to judge what might be "commonly known" by much newer readers of this forum.

I have been an active member since 2013. While I did know what TSP was even before joining five years ago, I will admit that when I read the original post (OP) above, I was scratching my head because I had no idea what the "F" fund was. I don't have access to TSP myself, so there's no reason I should just know off the top of my head what the abbreviations for the options within TSP are. I thought, maybe "F" is for "Foreign" but that made no sense because international has done well in the past year. I had to look it up.

The culture on this forum is to be as welcoming as possible to everyone, including total newbies. A few words of clarification makes this wonderful forum a little less daunting and therefore more inviting and accessible to everyone. The good advice provided above to the OP can be applicable to everyone, even those who do not have access to TSP and its funds.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:48 am

Kristen wrote:
I am absolutely sick and unsure how to proceed.
This is a disappointment, but being "absolutely sick" over it may be putting too much importance on it. You were accidentally at a lower stock to bond ratio than desired for a few months. In the long run, this will not be a big deal and it certainly won't ruin your retirement. Try not to dwell on it.

Just fix it. Today. And move on. Remember the important thing is to save money. Most of the rest is just details.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:17 am

OP,

What was your desired portfolio?

What did you end up implementing for 7 months?

An earlier poster suggested that you merely flipped 60/40 to 40/60, which wouldn't have been all that bad for the last 10 months but it sounds like that might not have been the case.

fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:22 am

Kristen,

Sorry that happened. What I propose, and I am more than 20 years ahead of you in the retirement planning thing using the TSP, is to immediately, before noon eastern time today, move all of the F money into the G Fund. That way you remove the interest rate risk, etc. Then, I would move that money into the C Fund over time, maybe the next six months. I know most here say dump it in and don't look, but you will, and a 10% drop on the substantial amount is going to stand out just like the mistake last year. You dollar cost average from your pay check over time, so it does not hurt to DCA with this lump sum.

I suggest maybe 10% every two weeks or whatever works for you, and then it will be harder for you to calculate any paper losses from your moves if the market drops. That way those decreases in your balance will not stand out like they would if you did a lump sum.

But, as a reminder, I believe you can only do two interfund transfers each month into a stock fund, so please check if you decide to spread this out. Good luck, and you are young so this will ease with time.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:22 am

No use lingering on the mistake. It is very minor in the grand scheme of things.

Fix your allocation. Save an extra $5,000 in 2018. That will make up for any gains you missed out on.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

azanon

Post by azanon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:48 am

Your results would probably improve if you just went with the closest matching L fund for most of your career.

The only exception to that I would make is that once that L fund hits 30-40% stock (C, S, and I combined), then just manually set a fixed ratio comparable to the L fund at that equity percentage, and never change it. I say that because most experts would say the eventual 20% stock in retirement (L income fund) is too low.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:56 am

I also had no idea what funds the OP was talking about.

Am I correct in thinking that the OP missed the stock market run up this year, but did not actually lose money, except perhaps with regard to inflation?

If it makes you feel any better, OP, I made an idiot mistake myself a few weeks ago. Details omitted on purpose :-)

I do check my balances once a month, however, both to see how I'm doing, also to make sure my accounts have not been hacked. I get paper statements, but I check stuff online and track it in Excel.

software

Post by software » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:03 am

mouses wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:56 am

Am I correct in thinking that the OP missed the stock market run up this year, but did not actually lose money, except perhaps with regard to inflation?
While I agree with the premise that non-intuitive acronyms are annoying, it takes about 5 seconds to google it. Hell the answer is already in the thread.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:13 pm

software wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:03 am
mouses wrote:

While I agree with the premise that non-intuitive acronyms are annoying, it takes about 5 seconds to google it. Hell the answer is already in the thread.
Sure, you get google results then you have to read pages of stuff, then you don't know what the funds did this year without searching for that either. And the thread answers mean nothing if you don't know what they're talking about.

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:27 pm

software wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:03 am
mouses wrote:

Seriously, some rather cranky BJWs today (Boglehead Justice Warriors). There's 48,200+ threads with "TSP" in the title on this site. At some point you have to expect people to know a few thing or let them do some self directed learning. No one goes around explaining that what a 401k is. I've never had one of those!

Not EVERY thread needs to be some eternal tome of learning for the masses. Sometimes a dude with too much F fund needs a few replies from Bogleheads with a TSP to convince him it's fine to jump to his desired AA without needing to leave a lexicon of his abbreviations for all posterity sake.

Much ado about nothing here. I merely suggested TSP is an abbreviation used often enough to not need explanation and the "welcoming, inviting, friendly" Bogleheads decided to post sarcasm, attack my credentials, and insinuate I was creating a hostile forum. :shock:
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:33 pm

Great advice in this thread!

And, for the record, I've only been here since November and had never heard of a TSP prior to that -- but I did know what the OP was talking about. TSP and its funds are practically intuitive to me after just three months. Maybe I'm a quick learner? (FYI, so is TBM -- total bond market)

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:48 pm

BigMoneyNoWhammies

Post by BigMoneyNoWhammies » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Kristen wrote:

This stinks to have happen, but chances are you very likely didn't lose money, just gained less than if you had been in C fund the entire time versus F fund, and as previously mentioned in the long run this is probably not going to be a cause for concern since you caught the error. Changes to contribution allocation are very easy within TSP and there are no costs to you as an investor to alter your AA within TSP, so just log in and change it today to get back to your desired AA asap. Also, TSP let's you choose how to be notified with a confirmation when you make a change to your contribution allocation via either e-mail or snail mail. In the future choose the option that will make it easiest for you to go back and double check. For me, that is receiving a paper copy of the confirmation of any changes I made via snail mail.

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:26 pm

Cb442 wrote:
The F fund is for the G men. Got it?

I kid.

F fund = bond fund... similar to Total Bond Market.

-TheDDC

Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:59 am

samsoes wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:16 am
blaugranamd wrote:
samsoes wrote:
Cb442 wrote:
I'm sorry, what's TBM mean? Google suggests Technogy Business Management, Turboprop Aircraft Manufacturer (model TBM 930), Tunnel Boring Machine, among others.
TBM = Total Bond Market

Check out the boglehead (BH) Abbreviations and Acronyms wiki page at https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Abbrevi ... d_Acronyms before googling BH shorthand.
Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:32 am

Kristen wrote:

Okay, we can't sympathize unless you put a dollar figure on this.

Just this week found out about an investing mistake involving the wrong box entry from 1993! I'd kept those records until 2016... there's a remote chance that if I still had them I could fix the error, but not without them. That wrong box is going to cost me roughly $6k- $10k total - without the records I can't tell for sure. Is your loss ten times that? Twenty? Have you actually calculated it?

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:39 am

samsoes wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:16 am
blaugranamd wrote:
samsoes wrote:
Cb442 wrote:
I like Tunnel Boring Machine!
Those things are freaking massive...
Attempted new signature...

sfchris

Post by sfchris » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:33 am

I have also been on this site for several years, reading daily and I did not know those acronyms. Mainly I know the Vanguard ones.

From my experience on other forums (Fatwallet), there certain people with a steel trap mind for memorization, and these are always the people using acronyms and telling others to "just google it". They are also the same kinds of people killing off software menus and telling people to just "learn the keyboard shortcuts" :o

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:06 am

Eagle33 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:59 am
Check out the boglehead (BH) Abbreviations and Acronyms wiki page at https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Abbrevi ... d_Acronyms before googling BH shorthand.
Now that's very helpful, thank you. :beer

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:24 am

One of the hardest parts of investing for me has been the phyc part of it. We all make mistakes. Smart people learn from them and don't make them twice. Like buying loaded funds. Most of us did that at some point in the past, before learning the truth about investing. In hindsight, we all see huge mistakes, and solutions, that we don't see in the middle of it all. I just hopped on board years ago with indexing, and have never looked back, or regretted that decision. But I've made bad calls, and will again, no doubt. I'll live with them.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:05 am

blaugranamd wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:48 pm
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Abbrevi ... d_Acronyms

happy abbreviating! :sharebeer
Thanks. I have to admit, the DH, DW, DD, DS acronyms took me a while to figure out.

For the OP: the market is still down from its previous highs. Correct the mistake asap.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:09 am

saltycaper wrote:
Kristen wrote:

Agree on not checking being terrible. Stuff happens. What is some body drained your account?

As to bad timing if OP missed 25% upswing on 20% of portfolio then he missed 5% upswing on total 401k. Stinks but not catastrophic.

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:29 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:09 am
saltycaper wrote:
Kristen wrote:

Agree on not checking being terrible. Stuff happens. What is some body drained your account?

As to bad timing if OP missed 25% upswing on 20% of portfolio then he missed 5% upswing on total 401k. Stinks but not catastrophic.
I think the "don't look" notion is not to look at the market and what your account is doing. I consider myself a "don't look" person but I see my balance 2-5x per month since they're linked to my bank account home page. I just never figure the changes, how much I've put in, what percentage things moved since I last looked. That's dangerous. :shock:

mega317

Post by mega317 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:19 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:32 am
Okay, we can't sympathize unless you put a dollar figure on this.
10 months ago the OP's TSP was 400k. 60% of that in S&P with reinvested dividends would have gained about 40k. Total bond has been flat.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:23 pm

Why rely on quarterly paper statements?

Sign up for online TSP access, and check your account after each paycheck to make sure you are seeing what you expected to see.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:24 pm

TSP = teaspoon.

jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:43 pm

blaugranamd wrote:
samsoes wrote:
Cb442 wrote:
Sorry, but I have to disagree with this part. I have been reading these forums for quite a while and did not have a clue what the "F Fund" is.

Yooper

Post by Yooper » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:15 pm

mouses wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:24 pm
TSP = teaspoon.
Au contraire, NEVER capitalized, otherwise I'd think they meant Tablespoon and forgot the B...

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:22 pm

If this remains your worst-ever financial mistake, you're a genius in my book!

TSP is hard to keep track of, imo. Spouse and I have had some exposure, to varying degrees. I agree with the posters who recommend periodic *actual* checking of the account. I now do this for all of our tax-deferred accounts. The web interface for TSP has gotten more user-friendly.

Some of the entities that use TSP are not the best at ensuring continuity of your elections from year to year. That's caused some mini-panic attacks for me in the past. Spouse's current (non-federal) employer seems to switch randomly from "sticky" elections to annual-renewal-required and then back so I'm always a little uneasy. This cost us almost a year of tax-deferral long ago. But my taxable I can pretty much ignore.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

Kristen

Post by Kristen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:55 am

Much ado about acronyms, wow! Thank you for all of the replies! I put in the interfund transfer request. I really just needed smart rationale people to tell me what my brain knew but my stomach was resisting. I liked the idea of DCA'ing (dollar cost averaging) the fix, but I just needed to be done with it. For those that were curious about the details, I think missed out on 46k of growth and my AA (asset allocation) in that account was 15/85 instead of 75/25. On the one hand, I still have 20+ years to make up for it. But oh, what 46k could do in 20 years!! You all really did make me feel better about the mistake, which I really appreciate. My husband was great about it too: "Just think, if I managed our money we wouldn't have 46k to lose." Thank you all for taking the time to read and respond. What a great forum.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:28 am

blaugranamd wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:29 pm
I think the "don't look" notion is not to look at the market and what your account is doing. I consider myself a "don't look" person but I see my balance 2-5x per month since they're linked to my bank account home page. I just never figure the changes, how much I've put in, what percentage things moved since I last looked. That's dangerous. :shock:
This. I don't particularly pay attention to my balances, but I do have Fidelity sending me a daily email listing them, so that I can check to make sure they're not zero, I don't particularly care what the day-to-day change is (and at my age I can't even remember what yesterday's numbers were :wink: ).
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.