Fido FTIPX vs FSIVX and Diversification Concern

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
TheDDC

Fido FTIPX vs FSIVX and Diversification Concern

Post by TheDDC »

Hello and happy President's Day!

I recently opened a Fido 403(b) account and have been pleased as I can invest in comparable low cost index fund options.

I am 70% FSTVX and 30% FSIVX in this account. I would prefer to invest in FTIPX for my international allocation, but unfortunately I do not have access to that find through my plan. I am a bit concerned that FTIPX appears to be more diversified as compared to FSIVX which is mostly large cap developed Euro and Asian markets.

I have two IRA accounts and a taxable brokerage through vanguard. Should I just increase my VTIAX holdings in those funds or is the lack of diversification not worth worrying about?

Thanks!

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
mega317

Re: Fido FTIPX vs FSIVX and Diversification Concern

Post by mega317 »

TheDDC wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:46 pm Should I just increase my VTIAX holdings in those funds or is the lack of diversification not worth worrying about?
Both
gostars

Re: Fido FTIPX vs FSIVX and Diversification Concern

Post by gostars »

I would either hold total international in Roth/taxable, or hold FSIVX in the 403b and emerging market and small-caps (IEMG and SCHC?) elsewhere. You miss out on Canada, but that's not a huge loss.