Help Choosing Bond Fund for 403(b)

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Sola Scriptura

Help Choosing Bond Fund for 403(b)

Post by Sola Scriptura » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:35 pm

Hello, everyone. I'm new to the board and have a specific question related to choosing a bond fund for my 403(b):

Currently, given my AA (80/20) and the total amount I have invested across my portfolio, I need all of my tax-advantaged accounts to hold 100% bonds: my Roth IRA (Vanguard), my wife's spousal Roth IRA (Vanguard), and my 403(b). My 403(b) offers only the following bond fund options:

GLDZX
GMDZX
GEDZX
GGBFX
(See info on each here: https://www.guidestonefunds.com/Funds/Performance)

I'm looking for my 403(b) to approximate VBTLX as closely as possible, which is where the remainder of my bond allocation is held. Any suggestions? I realize that none of the Guidestone bond funds are optimal choices, but I'm locked into only Guidestone funds for my 403(b). I've talked to HR about the possibility of other options, but any changes on their end would be well into the future, I'm afraid.

Thank you for any replies. I've already learned so much from lurking on this forum and for the past six months or so and referencing its wiki.

Tyler Aspect

Re: Help Choosing Bond Fund for 403(b)

Post by Tyler Aspect » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Guidestone Medium-Duration Bond would be the closest one to total bond market.

Beside the options you mentioned, there is also the possibility of IBonds to hold bond investments.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.

Sola Scriptura

Re: Help Choosing Bond Fund for 403(b)

Post by Sola Scriptura » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Tyler Aspect wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:03 pm
Guidestone Medium-Duration Bond would be the closest one to total bond market.

Beside the options you mentioned, there is also the possibility of IBonds to hold bond investments.
Thanks for the response. I suspected that it would probably be the medium-term fund. I hadn't considered an annual $10000 I bond as an additional shelter. It can't take the place of the 403(b) contribution, since I max it every year, but supplementing it is a definite possibility. Thank you!