Wunder Capital - solar lending as an investment - Thoughts?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
verge

Wunder Capital - solar lending as an investment - Thoughts?

Post by verge » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:20 am

I came across https://www.wundercapital.com in an article (http://www.businessinsider.com/wunder-c ... ing-2016-6). You have to be an accredited investor, but if so, you can invest money and they use it as capital for commercial businesses that want to get a loan for a solar power installation. They're paying 6%-7% for 60 month term investments.

I found a couple other old posts here asking about it, but I haven't found anyone who's actually invested in it. Anyone here tried it, or have any thoughts? I'm a little concerned about Trump's solar tax, but I don't think it would be a significant problem yet for this investment.

Tyler Aspect

Re: Wunder Capital - solar lending as an investment - Thoughts?

Post by Tyler Aspect » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:58 am

This is just one of the many high yield instruments that will separate your money from you eventually. When the yield is very high then you know the principle value is extremely unstable. There is no free lunch. :shock:
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:29 am

One step above giving your money to a Nigerian prince/banker/lawyer so he can transfer millions into you account, but in a similar category.

gsmith

Post by gsmith » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:51 am

Tyler Aspect wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:58 am
This is just one of the many high yield instruments that will separate your money from you eventually. When the yield is very high then you know the principle value is extremely unstable. There is no free lunch. :shock:
The requirement for a highly accredited investor means the investment is exempt from usual SEC protections and disclosures, as people who meet that requirement are capable of the due diligence and diversification required.

There could be some place for this in the speculative allocation of some very rich, very lucky investor's portfolio, but I'm neither.

WS1

Post by WS1 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:01 pm

Sometimes this place reminds of the Player Haters Ball sketch from Chappelle's Show..hate hate hate hate

This is real business that I didn't know anything about until I saw this article, and then decided to search here and see if there were any opinions.

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2018/07/24/ ... -ci-solar/

riverguy

Post by riverguy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:59 pm

Hard pass. Much better stuff out there.

6% for a 5 year loan that is only secured by depreciating assets in an industry that is only alive because of subsidies with one of those main subsidies starting to sunset next year.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:07 pm

WS1 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:01 pm
Sometimes this place reminds of the Player Haters Ball sketch from Chappelle's Show..hate hate hate hate

This is real business that I didn't know anything about until I saw this article, and then decided to search here and see if there were any opinions.

Mark me down as a hater. I like money too much to send it off on this venture.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Some are predisposed to consistently lose money. Don't be a sheep.

scout1

Post by scout1 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:59 pm

There are professional lenders with hundreds of millions of dollars who are always looking to diversify their portfolio and they passed up on this "opportunity". Why would random individuals be getting offered a good deal?

Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:09 pm

Solar might be good for clean energy, but it has been a huge black hole for billions of shareholder money. Don’t let your dollars make the same mistake.

http://fortune.com/2015/08/27/remember- ... a-mistake/

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:59 am

WS1 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:01 pm

OK so this is a restarted thread - over a year old.

It is worth warning people of that.

This is NOT an investment in the equity capital of an exciting company with a new solution in the solar space (investors must conduct their own due diligence)?

It is a lending opportunity. Limited upside. Not diversified in any way.

It's not wrong for people here to caution against these "opportunities" which are not diversified investments, and whose risks are hard to estimate and quantify.

Simply calling us "haters" (as in the Taylor Swift song?) is not giving proper respect to the caution which many of us have learned the hard way - by losing money on the shiny new investment bauble.

I have had a number of venture capital investments. On the better ones, I broke even. Had I simply stuck the money in a global tracker fund (let alone an S&P 500 index fund) in the early 2000s I would have been much better off.