Exchange question exchanged 10k from one fund to another but in the mean time the market dropped causing my account to

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
rec7

Exchange question exchanged 10k from one fund to another but in the mean time the market dropped causing my account to

Post by rec7 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:19 pm

Exchange question exchanged 10k from one fund to another but after I made the trade the market dropped causing my account to be worth 9k what happens to that exchange? These are both Vanguard funds. Will the exchange still take place?
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Dale_G

Re: Exchange question exchanged 10k from one fund to another but in the mean time the market dropped causing my account

Post by Dale_G » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:31 am

If you exchanged "all shares" the exchange will surely go through. If you exchanged $10,000 based on yesterday's 10,000 value of the fund and your shares in the fund are worth only $9.000 now, then I expect the exchange will fail.

Tomorrow is another day.
Volatility is my friend