Portfolio review for new investor

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
MexiPino

Portfolio review for new investor

Post by MexiPino » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:02 pm

I just started investing about a month ago by rolling over part of an old 401k to a traditional IRA. I chose Betterment since I am new to investing and their service manages everything for you. I felt it was a good way to get my feet wet. Then I opened a taxable account with them and deposited some extra cash I had in order to save up for a big purchase.
Two weeks later I opened a traditional IRA account with Vanguard and used it to transfer the bigger portion of my old 401k. My idea was that I would mirror the asset allocation from the Betterment account, but I would manage it on my own. I also opened a Roth IRA, which I plan to max out with contributions.

My accounts now look like this:
Betterment
Traditional IRA - 90% stocks/10% bonds
Taxable Account - 55% stocks/45% bonds (making weekly contributions)
Both accounts have the same ETFs.

Vanguard
Traditional IRA - 90% stocks/10% bonds (mirrors the Betterment account)
Roth IRA - Target Retirement 2045 Fund (VTIVX)

I prefer to learn by doing and I decided to start investing instead of waiting for the right moment. I'm not contributing to the traditional IRAs. Eventually I'll consolidate my traditional IRAs with Vanguard and maybe convert them to a Roth. Thanks!

WoodSpinner

Re: Portfolio review for new investor

Post by WoodSpinner » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:37 pm

MexiPino wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:02 pm
I just started investing about a month ago by rolling over part of an old 401k to a traditional IRA. I chose Betterment since I am new to investing and their service manages everything for you. I felt it was a good way to get my feet wet. Then I opened a taxable account with them and deposited some extra cash I had in order to save up for a big purchase.
Two weeks later I opened a traditional IRA account with Vanguard and used it to transfer the bigger portion of my old 401k. My idea was that I would mirror the asset allocation from the Betterment account, but I would manage it on my own. I also opened a Roth IRA, which I plan to max out with contributions.

My accounts now look like this:
Betterment
Traditional IRA - 90% stocks/10% bonds
Taxable Account - 55% stocks/45% bonds (making weekly contributions)
Both accounts have the same ETFs.

Vanguard
Traditional IRA - 90% stocks/10% bonds (mirrors the Betterment account)
Roth IRA - Target Retirement 2045 Fund (VTIVX)

I prefer to learn by doing and I decided to start investing instead of waiting for the right moment. I'm not contributing to the traditional IRAs. Eventually I'll consolidate my traditional IRAs with Vanguard and maybe convert them to a Roth. Thanks!
MexiPino,

First, welcome aboard the Boglehead Learning Journey.....

I suggest that you review this thread and repost using the provided guidelines.

viewtopic.php?t=6212

In addition, I would be very clear about what questions you would like discussed? It’s not quite clear to me from your post.

I think this will help you get better responses.

Best of luck 8-)

MexiPino

Post by MexiPino » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:53 pm

Got it. Will gather info and repost. Thanks!

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:58 am

Welcome and good job getting started! Definitely edit your post -- especially with percentages of holdings in each account (viewing the entire portfolio as a whole, the percentages should add up to 100%).

Keep in mind that you can still make your 2017 Roth IRA contribution, the cut-off is tax day in April.