"Family View" at vanguard.com

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
dokeeffe

"Family View" at vanguard.com

Post by dokeeffe » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:24 pm

My wife and I have separate Roth and roll-over IRAs at Vanguard and well as one joint prime money market account. When we log in to vanguard.com we can see our own accounts and the joint account, but not each others accounts. Is it possible to set up our accounts in such a way that we can see the full picture, meaning all our accounts at Vanguard, joint and individual with a single login?

Declan

mbres60

Re: "Family View" at vanguard.com

Post by mbres60 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:28 pm

Yes. We did it several years ago by calling.

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:35 pm

dokeeffe wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:24 pm
Is it possible to set up our accounts in such a way that we can see the full picture, meaning all our accounts at Vanguard, joint and individual with a single login?
You can set this up online without calling. There are several "levels" with the highest requiring physical paperwork. You don't need that level to see the accounts and even execute trades. The general process is like such:

1. choose your "main" account
2. from this account initiate a request to view the "sub account"
3. from "sub account" approve the request
4. log off / on for change to take effect.

The entire thing will take you 5-10 minutes if you already have access to both accounts.
Last edited by MindBogler on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:35 pm

Yes, it is, but I did it long enough that I'm not entirely sure of the exact procedure. It's fairly easy if the other person is your spouse, more complicated if it is not. Ah. Here it is.

My accounts, account maintenance, account permissions. "View and modify access to your accounts."

If your wife gives you view access to her account, then you can see all of her accounts and holdings, and Vanguard will give you that "family view," the total of both of your accounts, and the (somewhat sucky) Portfolio Watch tool can be set to include both of your holdings or various subsets. If you give her view access to your account, you can do the same.

My wife and I have given each other fairly full authority. We can each perform transactions in each others' accounts. I'm not recommending that, I'm just saying you can choose how much authority you give each other.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

indexlover

Post by indexlover » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Go to : My Accounts -> Account Maintenance
Look for Security Profile.
Click for Account Permissions under Security Profile.
There will be 2 tabs:
"Who can access your account" and "Accounts you have access to"
In the "Who can access your account" tab click on "Grant access online" button. Give access to your wife.
She has to access her account and accept the access level you gave her. Ask her to do the same on her account and give you access and then you accept it on your side.
“If a statue is ever erected to honor the person who has done the most for American investors, the hands-down choice should be Jack Bogle.” - Mr. Buffett - Berkshire Hathaway ’s 2016 annual report.

dokeeffe

Post by dokeeffe » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:53 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I was able to find the relevant page on the site and make the changes online.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:11 am

nisiprius wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:35 pm
Yes, it is, but I did it long enough that I'm not entirely sure of the exact procedure. It's fairly easy if the other person is your spouse, more complicated if it is not. Ah. Here it is.

My accounts, account maintenance, account permissions. "View and modify access to your accounts."

If your wife gives you view access to her account, then you can see all of her accounts and holdings, and Vanguard will give you that "family view," the total of both of your accounts, and the (somewhat sucky) Portfolio Watch tool can be set to include both of your holdings or various subsets. If you give her view access to your account, you can do the same.

My wife and I have given each other fairly full authority. We can each perform transactions in each others' accounts. I'm not recommending that, I'm just saying you can choose how much authority you give each other.
Close, but unfortunately not quite "all" accounts.

I don't know if it is "just our 403b plan" or all/most/some 403b plans, but even if one gives full agent authorization (the highest level possible), although the agent does indeed have the ability to get information or make transactions (most, but not all types), the agent can *NOT* "see" any of the spouse's 403b account information.
Getting information about or making transactions as agent for that 403b account requires calling, and having any requested information read over the phone by a Vanguard rep, and then verbally giving any transaction directions.

Very annoying.

It's ever so much easier to wait for the spouse to "be here" and "log on" and then be able to view the account online and help the spouse make any desired transactions.
Vanguard has been unable or unwilling to explain why these accounts must be handled in this clumsy fashion.

We can "see" and act on each others IRA accounts quite easily.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

limeyx

Post by limeyx » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:56 am

dokeeffe wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:53 pm
Thanks for all the replies, I was able to find the relevant page on the site and make the changes online.
yeah this was great. Worked perfectly for me. Been meaning to set this up for a while and this was the push I needed !

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:50 am

After all steps have completed, how long does it take to see all accounts show up?

Access has been granted and accepted by my wife for me to see her VG IRA account and for her to see my VG IRA account.

Thanks

Don

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:56 am

bondsr4me wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:50 am
After all steps have completed, how long does it take to see all accounts show up?

Access has been granted and accepted by my wife for me to see her VG IRA account and for her to see my VG IRA account.

Thanks

Don
Should see it right away after you log back in.

aprilcpa

Post by aprilcpa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:01 am

This is awesome! I never knew you could do it! Thanks so much.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:01 am

Drovor wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:56 am
bondsr4me wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks

Don
Should see it right away after you log back in.
Yes, I see my wife’s IRA after logging back in.
Thanks for the speedy reply.
Have a great day
Don