Investment ideas for my Saturna HSA

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Petra

Investment ideas for my Saturna HSA

Post by Petra » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:55 am

What NTF ETF are available at Saturna (Pershing brokerage) that you like and how have you/would you position them in your HSA? (I have an HSA funded to about $20,000 at Saturna; I'm only familiar with Vanguard index funds, but the VG funds come with an additional fee so I'm exploring). I'm interested in both international & US exposure, and am seeking ETF with reasonable fees (ER).

Provided that you use your HSA as an investment vehicle (and don't plan to reimburse yourself for expenses for at least ten years) how do you deal with asset allocation in your HSA? Do you use your HSA as a piece of your overall portfolio (investing in whatever the rest of your portfolio might be lacking), or do you invest your HSA like it is a separate/independent portfolio altogether?

Rainier

Re: Investment ideas for my Saturna HSA

Post by Rainier » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:14 am

I bought a Vanguard balanced fund at Saturna. I reinvest the dividends once a year to cut down on costs.

mhc

Post by mhc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:27 am

I use my HSA as part of my entire portfolio. I hold a single TSM mutual fund in my HSA.

The Saturna mutual funds look expensive. Are there no fee ETFs available through the self-directed brokerage option?

Did you choose Saturna or did your company choose it for you? You could use a different HSA administrator if you don't like the options at Saturna.

cookymonster

Post by cookymonster » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:35 am

When i moved my 15k HSA to Saturna, I put it in a Fidelity low-cost bond fund. At the time, there was a transaction fee of $15; it has since gone up to $25.

The lowest ER NTF option I'm aware of is PREIX, an S&P 500 index fund with an ER of 0.21. I put my new $3450 contribution in that, since I wasn't going to pay $25 to buy something that would only save $5-6 a year. If nothing changes, I'll keep putting new contributions in PREIX and exchange those to the Fidelity fund when the balance get high enough for the difference in expenses to match the $25 purchase charge for Fidelity (that would be about $15k currently).