Don't market time...i know, i know.

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
boglemania

Don't market time...i know, i know.

Post by boglemania » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:45 pm

I have a retirement date about 2 yrs from now. The markets are beyond my wildest imagination; more in my nest egg than I need. Is there a way to
'set some aside'? Sure, flame me, but I've been an invest and hold guy for 30 yrs. Never touched my 95% equities holdings even during 2007 era. Now stocks/bonds as per recommendation from Vanguard. Just never before felt the markets were out of line (except dot com bubble). Looking for any suggestions/advice.

livesoft

Re: Don't market time...i know, i know.

Post by livesoft » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:47 pm

Go ahead and market time. Tell us how it goes. The reality is that there all kinds of Market Timing and I suspect you are going to do innocuous Market Timing. That is, you are not going 100% to cash on Monday are you?

We can all live vicariously through you. It is just no fun living vicariously through Jack Bogle.
Last edited by livesoft on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

TRC

Post by TRC » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:48 pm

More than you need? Sure - move your age % to a total bond market index fund.

If you're in retirement and you have a 95 / 5 portfolio, now is the perfect time to move to a sensible asset allocation.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:49 pm

boglemania wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:45 pm
I have a retirement date about 2 yrs from now. The markets are beyond my wildest imagination; more in my nest egg than I need. Is there a way to
'set some aside'? Sure, flame me, but I've been an invest and hold guy for 30 yrs. Never touched my 95% equities holdings even during 2007 era. Now stocks/bonds as per recommendation from Vanguard. Just never before felt the markets were out of line (except dot com bubble). Looking for any suggestions/advice.
If your situation has changed from the past "30 years"... such as "you are retiring soon", then your allocation may need to change, too.
That's not market timing. Think of it more as "preparing prudently for retirement in 2 years", which is what the real situation is.

And good luck.
Enjoy retirement.
If you have such a good retirement available already, then ... "if you've won the game".... why keep on playing/risking? Or at least, keep enough safe for comfort.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:27 pm

boglemania wrote:
An asset allocation is based on need, ability, and willingness to take risk. A change in any of these can mean a time to reconsider the allocation. It's not market timing, just time for review as you near that retirement date.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:41 pm

boglemania wrote:
Sounds like you are no longer 95/5, but are you at the AA that Vanguard recommended -- and that you agreed to. Is it the right AA for you? Rebalancing and adjusting your AA to your 'sleep well" ratio is not market timing.

Regarding 'setting some aside': About 2 years from when I planned to retire I started gradually building up cash so that I would not be forced to sell in a downturn. I did this outside my retirement accounts by reducing the amounts I was routinely putting into taxable investments. It has worked for me having a pot of cash prior to SS and RMDs. Look at the whole picture of your finances and adjust as you need to as you approach the end of your paycheck -- not because of what the market appears to be doing.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:56 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:47 pm
Go ahead and market time. Tell us how it goes. The reality is that there all kinds of Market Timing and I suspect you are going to do innocuous Market Timing. That is, you are not going 100% to cash on Monday are you?

We can all live vicariously through you. It is just no fun living vicariously through Jack Bogle.
Bogleheads:

Sorry, I cannot agree with the above post:

"Go ahead and market time."
The market-timer's Hall of Fame is an empty room. -- Jane Bryant Quinn
"It is just no fun living vicariously through Jack Bogle."

Very few people live more vicariously through Jack Bogle than I do. He changed my life for the better --morally, financially, and brought happiness for me and my family.

Thank you, Jack!

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:01 pm

What is your mix of stocks and bonds today?

If your need and willingness to take risk has changed, consider an updated asset allocation.

Two years out. More than enough. Those statements point to a 50/50 mix.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:02 pm

boglemania wrote:
If indeed you have "won the game" and are worried about the stock market, you could go to a 30% stock and 70% bond portfolio. More conservative than what I would do personally but this would a good retiree portfolio. The thing you don't want to have happen is to have more than enough money to retire with a stock-heavy portfolio and then get hit a bear market just before you retire. It is a good time to de-risk for retirement when markets are strong and you are two years out.

The thing is, you haven't told us your asset allocation, so it is hard to give specific advice. The answer I gave was an ultra-conservative one. What is your maximum allowable loss? A good rule of thumb is a stock allocation of 2 times your maximum allowable loss.
A fool and his money are good for business.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:35 pm

My IPS said invest 80/20 and reduce to 60/40 when I hit 25x expenses. In the past 3 yrs, I reduced from 80/20, to 70/30, and then to 55/45. I will pull the plug this year at 28x expenses. The market has been generous, but I don't consider reducing my risk market timing so much as responding to my reduced need to take risk.

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 pm

by boglemania

I have a retirement date about 2 yrs from now.
I put in $250k last week. I just put all in at any time.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

riverguy

Post by riverguy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:34 am

boglemania wrote:
2 years from retirement. Have what you need. You won the game. Why not cash out and not have to worry? You don’t HAVE to be in the market. Would really suck if market tanked when you were ready to retire! Who cares if you miss out on another 15% potential upside?

TG2

Post by TG2 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:30 pm

What is your maximum allowable loss? A good rule of thumb is a stock allocation of 2 times your maximum allowable loss.
But I can't be 130% in stocks. If my maximum allowable loss is around 65%, does that mean that even at 100/0 I am under-allocated to equities? Come on, I'm getting as close as I can here.

:D

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:44 pm

Given that you are very close to retirement and given the increase in portfolio value that you've experienced and given high stock market valuations, this would be a good time to re-evaluate your need and willingness to take risk via the stock market.

gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:53 pm

boglemania wrote:
I think changing AA based on nest egg and not years to retirement might be more prudent.

If you've already amassed what you need by retirement, even if retirement is 2 years away, you do require a more conservative AA, than if your nest egg is still short of 100%.

I don't think it's market timing, just modifying your IPS to what it should have been - AA based on nest egg.

Utility of wealth...you've got to apply it.

P.S: I assume you have reasons like pension to wait another 2 years...I don't have a firm retirement year, just target nest egg (modified to retirement year), so as soon as I reach my target nest egg/year combo, I will retire. So my IPS calls for AA change based on how much I have.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:12 pm

The most important decision an investor makes is the allocation between stocks and bonds. If you are up at night, you may be taking on more risk than you would like.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:16 pm

This is an easy problem to solve. You can do what you want and get the approval of the board at the same time.

1) Determine a new asset allocation that can be achieved only by doing the buying and selling you wish to do.

2) Write down this new asset allocation. Write "investment policy statement" at the top of the page.

3) Execute trades.

4) Repeat as necessary.

Win-Win-Win.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:35 pm

Topic moved to Investing - Help with Personal Investments.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:25 pm

boglemania wrote:
Bottom line is that I would follow the VG advice in your situation. Personally, I (age 71 and retired) am currently very bearish regarding stock and bond indexes, so, I like cash and CDs for now. Yes, this is market timing, but, I think the rule against market timing can be broken occasionally when you have a stock market which is way overvalued and a bond market that has been controlled and manipulated for nine years to promote the recovery.

MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:01 am

Hey you will be in good company. Bobbie Brinker got all his clients out of the market after the 1987 flash crash...only he never got them back in until years later, well after the point he got them out at - oops. Then he correctly timed the 2000 top, getting his clients to 65% cash in a couple of tepid steps, only to blow it on an ill fated QQQ dead cat bounce call - LOL. So go ahead, it has worked out so well for the experts.

Seriously, if you are questioning your strategy then your asset allocation mix is simply not correct for your temperament. You can get 10 year CDs are at 3%, 20 year at 3.25%, and 30 year at 3.5%. So you can build your own assumed liability matching CD ladder and then invest the rest in equities if you wish while sleeping like a baby.

ThrustVectoring

Post by ThrustVectoring » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:23 am

TG2 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:30 pm
What is your maximum allowable loss? A good rule of thumb is a stock allocation of 2 times your maximum allowable loss.
But I can't be 130% in stocks. If my maximum allowable loss is around 65%, does that mean that even at 100/0 I am under-allocated to equities? Come on, I'm getting as close as I can here.

:D
You can be 130% in stocks. Long call options on the S&P 500 if you don't want or can't take margin loans (eg, in an IRA). Margin loans if you can. Applying the Kelly Criteria on conservative estimates of expected return and volatility in the stock market yields something like 140% equities before you stop being better off with more exposure to the market and really feel the pain of buying rallies and selling dips to maintain proper leverage.

That said, fractional Kelly strategies are generally better, since the risk/return slope flattens out near the optimal point. You get less benefit from moving up the curve, and are exposed to more risk that you mis-estimated future risk. To keep things simple I'm currently at 100% equities instead of the full leveraged position. I may revisit this and lever up after a correction.
Current portfolio: 60% VTI / 40% VXUS

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:16 am

ThrustVectoring wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:23 am
... Applying the Kelly Criteria on conservative estimates of expected return and volatility in the stock market yields something like 140% equities before you stop being better off with more exposure to the market and really feel the pain of buying rallies and selling dips to maintain proper leverage.

That said, fractional Kelly strategies are generally better, since the risk/return slope flattens out near the optimal point. You get less benefit from moving up the curve, and are exposed to more risk that you mis-estimated future risk. To keep things simple I'm currently at 100% equities instead of the full leveraged position. I may revisit this and lever up after a correction.
Edward Thorpe in one of his papers looked at the 59 year period from 1929-1984 and came up with 117% invested in S&P500 as being Kelly optimal.
http://www.edwardothorp.com/wp-content/ ... Market.pdf
"...maximal average real growth will occurr (should margin at the T-bill rate be available) if one invests 117%..."
"...a hypothetical immortal investor continually wagering an amount greater than 1.7 times current resources, ruin is certain..."
"...somewhat artificially constructed probability distributions may not be fully taking into account ... numerical results we have obtained must be interpreted in light of the limitations inherent in any applied probabilistic model."
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:23 am

remomnyc wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:35 pm
My IPS said invest 80/20 and reduce to 60/40 when I hit 25x expenses. In the past 3 yrs, I reduced from 80/20, to 70/30, and then to 55/45. I will pull the plug this year at 28x expenses. The market has been generous, but I don't consider reducing my risk market timing so much as responding to my reduced need to take risk.

:sharebeer
Hit The Nail On The Head
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:09 am

boglemania wrote:
more in my nest egg than I need
This is the key. If you don’t need to take the risk, reduce your exposure.

What you feel about the markets is irrelevant.

Good luck,

JT

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:18 am

a few years before retirement and most likely a rapid decline in human capital aka earning power. And you have "enough".

I think near or early in retirement is a critical time to assess your allocation - especially if you have enough. In the accumulation phase, with lots of human capital the goal is to get to your number -- once you reach it it is time to determine what the next investment goal is. For many in that situation there is no need to take a lot of risk. Yes you need to take some to make sure your nest egg has a chance to match inflation over a couple of decades of retirement.

Don't let the threat of market timing shaming govern what allocation you should have in what they call the retirement red zone. Try not to let the last few weeks of exceptional equity growth weigh too heavily in your decision. You likely need to take a breath and determine if you should modify your level of risk toward a more asset preservation goal or if you are just reacting to the go go growth we have seen recently. Best to take the longer, calmer view.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:42 am

bottlecap wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:09 am
boglemania wrote:
more in my nest egg than I need
This is the key. If you don’t need to take the risk, reduce your exposure.

What you feel about the markets is irrelevant.

Good luck,

JT
+1 The issue is not market timing, but asset allocation planning as retirement approaches. Hopefully you would be doing the same analysis no matter what the market were doing.

ThrustVectoring

Post by ThrustVectoring » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:15 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:16 am
ThrustVectoring wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:23 am
... Applying the Kelly Criteria on conservative estimates of expected return and volatility in the stock market yields something like 140% equities before you stop being better off with more exposure to the market and really feel the pain of buying rallies and selling dips to maintain proper leverage.

Edward Thorpe in one of his papers looked at the 59 year period from 1929-1984 and came up with 117% invested in S&P500 as being Kelly optimal.
http://www.edwardothorp.com/wp-content/ ... Market.pdf
"...maximal average real growth will occurr (should margin at the T-bill rate be available) if one invests 117%..."
"...a hypothetical immortal investor continually wagering an amount greater than 1.7 times current resources, ruin is certain..."
"...somewhat artificially constructed probability distributions may not be fully taking into account ... numerical results we have obtained must be interpreted in light of the limitations inherent in any applied probabilistic model."
Oh cool! That means my math roughly lines up with historical figures - mine were based off guessing based off Vanguard's market forecasts for stock volatility and return. I think you can also do stuff based on the risk levels implied by options pricing, but that's a bit above my skill level. The current market has historically low volatility, which is interesting and implies the ability to take more risks. There's worrying second order effects from this, where excess leverage in the market as a whole causes people to sell off in downturns which exacerbates things further, but that's a separate concern.
Current portfolio: 60% VTI / 40% VXUS

boglemania

Post by boglemania » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Thanks everyone. Don't get on here a lot but it's a wealth of info. i reallocated and feel better. I'm going to post for any additional advice on a new thread.Thanks again.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:38 pm

boglemania wrote:
What is your asset allocation? If you are thinking about retiring in 2 years it better not be too aggressive as you human capital has shrunk A LOT.

I do believe Mr. Swedroe does advocate for rebalancing only one way when you "hit your number". Meaning only put money in bonds when stocks are up, but not sell bonds to buy more stocks to prevent a lot of short term volatility. Also, you may be figuring out a good IPS for accumulation may not be the same for de-accumulation. Personally, I have ALWAYS espoused (even before it became hip) to have what they call a LMP in retirement and since you are 2 years out from that this would be a good time to start doing that. Without knowing anything else this may be a situation you found out you have NOT thought out a good enough plan in deaccumulation.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

boglemania

Post by boglemania » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:41 pm

I was about to post my portfolio (not precisely to remain anonymous)..but should i do it on a new thread (more responses that way?) or just drop the post in right here? Pretty new to the forum and infrequent (every 1-2 wks), so not sure of best etiquette. thanks.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Now would be a great time to go to a 60/40 allocation. You can call it market timing and congratulate yourself on getting partially out at the top. Or you can just chalk it up to moving to a more conventional asset allocation. Call it whatever you want but just do it.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Why keep playing the game if you have already won it....only to maybe lose in the end.

A healthy dose of bonds and cd’s might be a sensible portfolio in your case.

Have a great week ahead.

Don

youngpleb

Post by youngpleb » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:17 pm

I feel like there's a big difference between market timing and just saying "Hey, I have more than I need and am going to move into a safer position." It sounds like you are definitely the latter rather than the former! I'd do the same thing. I think it's only market timing if it isn't a permanent (or at least long-term) switch.
27. Always learning.

boglemania

Post by boglemania » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:14 pm

duplicate
Last edited by boglemania on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:24 pm

I don't think it matters much what you do now that you have sort of described your financial situation.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.