Stock Pick and Best Stock Trading Forum Advice

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
maxgrowth

Stock Pick and Best Stock Trading Forum Advice

Post by maxgrowth »

My favorite bogleheads,

I hope you all are doing very well and had a strong beginning of 2018!

I would like to do some stock trading (long-term and short-term) in addition to my vanguard mutual funds investment. I was wondering whether there is a Stock Pick and Trading discussion Forum that I can join. I sincerely love Bogleheards personal investment forum and it has been extremely helpful. I wanted to find a similar forum focusing on Stock Pick and Trading strategies.

Any advice would be really appreciated! Thank you so much. :D
Pajamas

Re: Stock Pick and Best Stock Trading Forum Advice

Post by Pajamas »

I won't recommend any as there is generally more poor advice than good advice in them, in my opinion. Unfortunately that is true for many topics, from forums focused on health to those focused on films.
Topic Author
maxgrowth

Post by maxgrowth »

I won't recommend any as there is generally more poor advice than good advice in them, in my opinion. Unfortunately that is true for many topics, from forums focused on health to those focused on films.
John Bogle encourages personal investment should be diversified. I can't put all my investment in one basket. I maximized my retirement every year and have $430K into Vanguard Mutual Funds. I would like to try some individual good dividend stocks. Can anyone provide some good stock trading discussion forum for me? I trust and value bogelheads' opinion. I need some help and guidance from the forum. Ultimately I am responsible for my own decision.. Appreciate it!
a5ehren

Post by a5ehren »

Adding individual stocks to your MF holdings is not "diversification", it is just going overweight because you think you have special knowledge that Goldman Sachs doesn't.

If you want a dividend tilt, then VG has funds that focus on that that don't require you to go to forums full of pump-and-dump penny stocks.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Start back at the Wiki "Getting Started".

You have been held back in 1st grade. :wink:
vested1

Post by vested1 »

These people had what they thought was a great investing forum that stretched to 559 pages for GTAT, an individual stock that many thought would make them rich. At first the excitement was palpable, that is until they lost everything.

http://forum.thecontrarianinvestor.com/ ... 9/page-543

Typical post once the hammer fell:

"My story is very similar. Here I am at 60 years old now and I was planning on retiring soon along with my wife. Now my 25 years of retirement savings are for the most part gone. I am partially disabled due to a back injury. My wife is a teacher and only makes about 24k a year. I had about $500k when gtat was at it's of around $20. Now I only have 30k left for us to live on. My wife and I have both cried over it. We have been struggling just to try to make ends meet since the BK was announced. I am sure we are only one of many, many similar stories. It is such a sad thing what TG and the rest of management did. Even if we don't get a cent I would get satisfaction in seeing them spend the rest of their lives rotting in jail. But I'm sure they will probably just get a slap on the wrist and go on their way. I just pray that every one that lost so much can find some way to move on and get past this traumatic part of their life."

Similar comments are common on that forum once the bottom fell out.

You won't get many suggestions here for a forum that advocates trading single stocks, which is a good thing, since if you did find one you would experience the same excitement and possibly the same tragic outcome as the folks who talked each other into betting heavily on GTAT. You can't get better diversity than investing in the proper index funds.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

MAX:

I am not going to tell you "don't do it", it looks like you are bound and determined to pay some tuition to the school of hard knocks.

But listen to what people are saying - no Internet forum is going to serve you well. You are probably better served using some screens on your brokerage site.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Hector

Post by Hector »

If I knew how to pick stocks, wouldn't I be busy spending money all the time?
Sockpuppet

Post by Sockpuppet »

Check out reddit’s wall street bets and then never again think about investing in individual stocks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

John Bogle encourages personal investment should be diversified. I can't put all my investment in one basket. I maximized my retirement every year and have $430K into Vanguard Mutual Funds. I would like to try some individual good dividend stocks.
Diversified...I do not think that word means what you think it means.

In all seriousness, why not invest in a low-cost, dividend-focused stock fund rather than individual stocks? Since you're already with Vanguard, one option is Vanguard High Dividend Yield Index Fund Investor Shares (VHDYX) - current SEC yield 2.77%
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Some people on here will humor you if you ask about investing in individual stocks, but it's against the Gospel.
Apple, Google, Amazon, Chipotle, Netflix were some I researched a bit in the past, but I have been saved by Lord Bogle.
The motleyfool (rightly named) is a good bet.