ROTH IRA Provider

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
cam240

ROTH IRA Provider

Post by cam240 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:14 pm

Hello Community,

My wife and I decided to open a ROTH IRA. We have look at some of the typical providers out there (Fidelity, ETrade, Vanguard, TD Ameritrade, Charles Schwab, etc). From the reading we made we understand this decision should be made based on some factors such as trading commission, minimum account requirements, promo-bonus during account opening, fund offering, minimum fund invest requirements, customer service, tools, among others) Based on the criteria I found a lot the previously named providers similar. They all have a wide range of securities offerings, the minimum account requirement is not really an issue for my and my wife and neither is the trading commission since we will take an passive investing approach. We value a lot the ability to be able to talk face-to-face with an adviser. We are leaning strongly towards Fidelity and I want to get feedback from the community on their ROTH IRA and Fidelity as a whole. Some of the reason we lean towards them are there are a handful of offices around where we live and my 401K at my company is already with Fidelity.

Thanks,

Duckie

Re: ROTH IRA Provider

Post by Duckie » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:02 pm

cam240 wrote:We are leaning strongly towards Fidelity and I want to get feedback from the community on their ROTH IRA and Fidelity as a whole.
Fidelity is a very good company with superior customer service and as long as you mostly use their index funds you won't go wrong. They have three excellent total market funds that are perfect for the bulk of your passive assets:
  • (FSTVX) Fidelity Total Market Index Fund Premium Class (0.035%)
    (FTIPX) Fidelity Total International Index Fund Premium Class (0.10%)
    (FSITX) Fidelity U.S. Bond Index Fund Premium Class (0.045%)

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:11 pm

Fidelity, Schwab, and TDAmeritrade are the only places I would recommend if you require face-to-face. But every time you do face-to-face you will be asked to stray onto a path that costs you money and is not really in your best interest. That's just the way face-to-face works. Can you say, "No!" when asked to stray?

So Fidelity is fine.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:48 am

I'm at Fidelity and I walk into their local office a few times a year. (fyi -- not once has someone tried to sell me something or redirect my path)

Since you're just opening your Roths, the Investor Classes are:

(FSTMX) Fidelity Total Market Index Fund Premium Class (0.09%)
(FTIGX) Fidelity Total International Index Fund Premium Class (0.17%)
(FBIDX) Fidelity U.S. Bond Index Fund Premium Class (0.14%)

Also, keep in mind FFNOX Fidelity Four-In-One Index Fund (0.11%) or their Freedom Index funds (0.15%) depending on your overall asset allocation.