Wellington or Target Retirement 2025

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
texasmancave

Wellington or Target Retirement 2025

Post by texasmancave »

I'm 10 years away from needing to access my retirement fund. If I had to choose between these two funds which fund should I go with now and then into retirement years?
Wellington or Target Retirement 2025?
tennisplyr

Re: Wellington or Target Retirement 2025

Post by tennisplyr »

I'm not your typical BH, but I've had both for a number of years and am satisfied....retired 7 years.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Topic Author
texasmancave

Post by texasmancave »

Have you seen one outperform the other?
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

To quote "neurosphere" (a regular poster here on BH): "If you wonder if a TargetDate fund is right for you, it is"
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Either could be OK. However, they are very different things. You should do some reading to understand what they are and what they do and how well they fit your needs.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

David Jay wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:56 pm To quote "neurosphere" (a regular poster here on BH): "If you wonder if a TargetDate fund is right for you, it is"
I’ve seen this reference before, and recently at that, and I couldn’t disagree more. We have thousands of people visit this site trying to figure out a myriad of issues and questions on various topics that answers only come from education or insights provided by site resources or others feedback. It is dismissive to suggest that anyone wondering whether or not they should use a Target Date should do just that.

Cheers.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Assuming the minimum buy-in to Wellington is not a concern
Mid-40’s
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I have Wellington in my HSA. That being said, go with the more diversified Target retirement fund.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

texasmancave wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:49 pm Have you seen one outperform the other?
What is your objective?
Have you researched the funds beyond annual returns? One is heavily allocated towards Large Value equity and intermediate corporate bonds, actively managed. The other is index based, managed only so far as glidepath unless the asset allocation group decides to implement a wholesale change in the manner it is managed. The last change was the inclusion of international bonds.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Mors

Post by Mors »

Go with the target retirement fund. Wellington has active management and no international allocation. As a core investment choice, the TDF has the advantage here.