investing and tipped employees

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
rob in cal

investing and tipped employees

Post by rob in cal » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:21 pm

I'm wondering if there are many bogleheads out there whose primary income is from tips, and how this impacts their investing. I would guess it would be difficult psychologically to invest for some people because they would maybe view their cash money from tips as something that should be spent, not saved/invested.
In my case the bulk of our family income was tipped income before passive income surpassed it, but we always viewed it as regular income to be treated as such.

Tyler Aspect

Re: investing and tipped employees

Post by Tyler Aspect » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 pm

Receiving tipped income would have you owning small bills. Maybe you would have an incentive to do more purchases using cash instead of a credit card.

As a writer of a personal finance program I would say this is a cash spending tracking issue. If you spend mostly on cash, then the regular salary should see less withdrawals. As long as you are keeping track of your cash spending accurately I don't see anything wrong with it.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cash-flow
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.