I'm hooked

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
donkashane48

I'm hooked

Post by donkashane48 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Just wanted to say that I'm blown away at the knowledge of this forum and the help that people are willing to give.. I literally came across this site yesterday searching through Google trying to wrap my head around retirement/savings. Because I felt like I wasn't saving correctly.. I have learned more in 24hrs about things I didn't even know existed. E.g. taxable accounts,backdoor Roth iras, tax brackets, 3 fund AA. Just to name a few. So Thank You.. I can't stop reading its all very interesting. It's like a game.. I'm hooked!!!

CyclingDuo

Re: I'm hooked

Post by CyclingDuo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:21 pm

donkashane48 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:17 pm
Just wanted to say that I'm blown away at the knowledge of this forum and the help that people are willing to give.. I literally came across this site yesterday searching through Google trying to wrap my head around retirement/savings. Because I felt like I wasn't saving correctly.. I have learned more in 24hrs about things I didn't even know existed. E.g. taxable accounts,backdoor Roth iras, tax brackets, 3 fund AA. Just to name a few. So Thank You.. I can't stop reading its all very interesting. It's like a game.. I'm hooked!!!
Welcome!

Make sure you check out the wealth of knowledge in the Wiki:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:23 pm

Welcome, feel free to post asking for advice (even if you aren't a millionaire or making six figures -- everyone is welcome).

Guidance for advice posts is here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Here is the getting started wiki if you have not see it.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

There are also Boglehead books.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias= ... Bogleheads

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:10 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Best part is this forum is moderated which keeps exchanges civil.

Great information and no trolls, best of both worlds!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

Hooked

Post by Hooked » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Welcome!

I agree! There is a lot of good information available and members are very willing to answer questions and help!

Good luck! :happy

Hooked ...On Bogleheads.org

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Welcome to the forum :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Welcome, this forum is a great place to learn. :sharebeer

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:29 pm

Welcome, I know the "hooked" feeling, and I've learned quite a bit from the good folks here. :sharebeer

One word of advise: don't take personally the occasional snarky and short answers you may receive. These folks do have all the right intentions, but just lack a smooth delivery.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren at Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

KATNYC

Post by KATNYC » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:34 pm

Welcome! I feel the same way. I can't recall what brought me to the forum but I've since read the Bogleheads guide to investing (around Easter 2017) and learned more than I could have imagined from such a helpful group of people.

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:45 am

I got hooked from bogleheads Guide to Investing from the library.

It was like if you have time check out this forum.

Then I stopped blinking until my head cracked open. :shock:
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:43 am

Welcome aboard!

CMLAW1

Post by CMLAW1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:47 am

Welcome to the best financial forum out there sir! I too know the “hooked” feeling. Keep reading, enjoy, and feel free to post your situation in the format listed in the above post.

3 years later. Up 18.9%. And not paying anyone a dime! Alll because of the great people on this forum!

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:13 am

Welcome to the forum :) .

Truly amazing amount of collective wisdom on tap at this site. Reading the wiki is like getting an education all by itself.

B. Wellington

Post by B. Wellington » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:24 am

donkashane48 wrote:
Welcome donkashane48, we do indeed have a great group of people here from all walks of life. From financial pros with years of experience to others with their real world experiences.

You can thank the Mods for keeping this site civil, courteous, and polite as possible. We are here to help like those who have helped us along the way. :beer

Beachdrinks

Post by Beachdrinks » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:07 am

Couldn't agree with you more (being hooked!) This site has helped me so much. I am amazed at how detailed and helpful people will be even with links.

I was struggling with a fairly tricky backdoor roth question for a year and two CPA's and a CFA couldn't help. I put it up on the board here and had clear answers and help in less than an hour. Unreal.

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:28 am

donkashane48 wrote:
I had the same reaction when I first discovered this place a number of years back. I still frequent daily as I still seem to learn something new quite frequently.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:46 am

B. Wellington wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:24 am
donkashane48 wrote:
Welcome donkashane48, we do indeed have a great group of people here from all walks of life. From financial pros with years of experience to others with their real world experiences.

You can thank the Mods for keeping this site civil, courteous, and polite as possible. We are here to help like those who have helped us along the way. :beer
This site is one that I was happy to introduce my 21-year old son to. He's now a member, and posts infrequently, but reads often. It's a good place to visit when you're feeling that the Internet is just a bogus place for self-interested clowns trying to reach into your pocket. :D

SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:52 am

I agree. This is a great place which has benefit my family greatly. The moderators do a great job keeping the place civil and very knowledgeable people frequently post in a kind and helpful manner.

I still consider myself learning but try to give back by answering some of the more routine questions that seem to come up frequently.

Welcome to the forum!

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Welcome to the best forum on the Internet with the best, most helpful people.

Tim

grog

Post by grog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:59 pm

I was always a saver, but before I found this site not even five years ago I had little practical knowledge and was mostly saving money in the bank at minimal interest. In my 401K, had I continued contributing just up to the match as I had been doing, I would have missed out on about 25K in gains in the 401K and paid probably an extra 20K in income taxes over that time. And I probably would not even have a Roth IRA. I likely would have opened a brokerage account instead and done dumb things with it.

donkashane48

Post by donkashane48 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Thank you everyone for the kind welcoming. Just from reading and asking a few questions, I have already started making moves to a better retirement/lifestyle. Dropped my contributions to what company matches (6%). Starting to pay off some high interest debt and fund a EE with the rest of the % not going into 401k. Looking to refiance mortgage to 15 yr with a lower rate.. Switched allocations to around 60% domestic stock, 20% tot market bonds and 20% international. This makes me feel like I can sleep at night. I cant wait to be able to 100% fund my 401k and add some kind of taxable acct (Roth ira). So thank you again. Back to reading posts and wiki

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Consider buying a used starter book from each of a few of the different recommended authors, including the ones on which several BHs (Bogleheads) collaborated. Although the messages will be similar, one or two of the authors will resonate with you more than the others. It also helps to get the repeated message from different writers.