Roth conversion advice

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
xrayvsn

Roth conversion advice

Post by xrayvsn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:48 pm

I have been doing more research and this really does make sense for me but I have some specifics I was hoping someone might help advise me on.

Unfortunately I have not taken advantage of the backdoor Roth conversion in the past and have been putting in money for awhile into a traditional IRA. Now what I am to understand is that because these contributions were using after tax money (since my income phased out the deductions available) I have established a basis (which I assume is total amount I have from all the Form 8606s in past.

My current traditional IRA balance is higher than this basis due to capital gains etc. For simplicity sake lets say I have $25,000 in after tax money that I contributed and the account is worth $100k.

Can I do this to help minimize my tax burden with a conversion?:
1) Convert assets totaling (or slightly under) the $25,000 basis I have into a Roth IRA this year (and essentially pay no taxes on conversion)
2) In order to avoid the pro rata rule on the balance of $75k left, then roll the remaining assets into my 401k

Appreciate the help.

PFInterest

Re: Roth conversion advice

Post by PFInterest » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:28 pm

You roll the deducted portion to a 401k. You roll the after tax to a rIRA.

xrayvsn

Post by xrayvsn » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:17 am

Thanks. And if I did the rollover (the contributions that were deductible as well as any gains) into the 401k by Dec 31 of the year I do the roth Conversion with the after tax contribution amount I won't incur any tax at all, correct?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:54 am

New member boglemania has a question which I've moved into a stand-alone thread. See: [Should I do a Roth conversion?]

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (Roth conversion).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.